Confirmed: Paul Lambert new Villa boss

VillaRoy

Hmmm - where are we disagreeing ? I totally agree to say WILL is silly, but I have said 'will push'. If we don't think he can at least 'push' for Top 6, what is all the fuss about ?!!

Well, you actually said, 'he will get us pushing top 6 and above'.

The implication was not just aiming high but firmly putting us there (and aiming higher), surely?

You make it sound like I am setting him up for a fall, when it is simply the case that I have watched his sides a lot and think we will do well, in the manner I have said.

Again, you are back to 'thinking' when you were saying we will be doing x and he will be doing it by methods a, b and c.

I don't think I will be disappointed at all...

I hope none of us will but we are a club that came very close to relegation and a club that needs to get back on its feet and more.

The more may happen quickly but it should be something we are hoping for rather than expecting.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm - where are we disagreeing ? I totally agree to say WILL is silly, but I have said 'will push'. If we don't think he can at least 'push' for Top 6, what is all the fuss about ?!!

Well, you actually said, 'he will get us pushing top 6 and above'.

The implication was not just aiming high but firmly putting us there (and aiming higher), surely?

You make it sound like I am setting him up for a fall, when it is simply the case that I have watched his sides a lot and think we will do well, in the manner I have said.

Again, you are back to 'thinking' when you were saying we will be doing x and he will be doing it by methods a, b and c.

I don't think I will be disappointed at all...

I hope none of us will but we are a club that came very close to relegation and a club that needs to get back on its feet and more.

The more may happen quickly but it should be something we are hoping for rather than expecting.

ok (at least we are debating the guy and not having a guess who is coming to the conference contest)- to be clear as I can be - as far as it is possible to 'know' something' that hasn't happened yet I am sure he WILL get us pushing Top 6 this year - but pushing Top 6 does not mean I expect him to get it, or not, or that I will be on his back if he doesn't.

I do believe he has at least 6 more wins in him than the last guy, which, even if that is only draws into wins is 12 points better which will indeed mean we are pushing at Top 6.

And I am certain the methods will be as I have said, as opposed to defensive tactics or big money buys.

And yes we came close to relegation but I think/thought we were pretty universally agreed that was in no small part due to having a crap Manager.

I think placing unreasonable expectaions on him is a mistake, as you do, but I think having almost none is a mistake also, and one we don't need to consider, having got ourselves a gem.

...as far as it is possible to 'know' something' that hasn't happened yet...

That's just being silly.

You don't, I don't and we don't know what will happen.

And I am certain the methods will be as I have said, as opposed to defensive tactics or big money buys.

So you are certain that he will not make big money buys (as one example) and yet you are not being prescriptive about how he achieves things?

You are setting down a path which you are certain he will travel.

And yes we came close to relegation but I think/thought we were pretty universally agreed that was in no small part due to having a crap Manager.

Of course it was in no small part due to the manager; it was also in no small part due to the the team and its constituents.

We were what we were last season (i.e. worryingly close to the relegation spots - which we were also worryingly close to the previous season save for the last couple of games) and we need to start from that position rather than the presumption that the replacement of the manager (with an improvement) means we are now automatically a mid table club.

... but I think having almost none is a mistake also

It's a good job I don't find myself in that position then.

As implied in my previous post, I expect him to put the club back on its feet.

As implied in the post before that, we can reappraise expectations thereafter. :?

...as far as it is possible to 'know' something' that hasn't happened yet...

That's just being silly.

You don't, I don't and we don't know what will happen.

So you are certain that he will not make big money buys (as one example) and yet you are not being prescriptive about how he achieves things?

You are setting down a path which you are certain he will travel.

Of course it was in no small part due to the manager; it was also in no small part due to the the team and its constituents.

We were what we were last season (i.e. worryingly close to the relegation spots - which we were also worryingly close to the previous season save for the last couple of games) and we need to start from that position rather than the presumption that the replacement of the manager (with an improvement) means we are now automatically a mid table club.

... but I think having almost none is a mistake also

It's a good job I don't find myself in that position then.

As implied in my previous post, I expect him to put the club back on its feet.

As implied in the post before that, we can reappraise expectations thereafter. :?

Duh ? I mistakenly thought I was having a sensible debate - are you deliberately being obtuse ? I totally agree we can't KNOW that's why I said it ????

Yes I am as certain as I can be - without as I am trying to make clear being able to see the future - that he will not go for big money buys as a means to improve us. I just beleive that, in my view he will be aware we cannot compete that way and will get more for less by making better use of what we have, using his knowledge of the lower divisions, and looking abroad. I am not being prescriptive FFS I am expressing my view that he will not be blowing a load of money on big names .

So you think it was the team and the Manager - obviously it is bothto some extent. How many points do you think PL will get that Mc would not have got ? I happen to think that my dead cat could get more victories than Mcleish, and I have sufficient faith in PL to think he will do better than my dead cat, i think he will get a minimum of 6 more wins, and maybe a fair few more.

I don't think he could get much less and be considered to have put the Club on its feet - much less and we'd be no better.

Lets just say I have a good deal more faith in him as a Manager, and a belief that it will be the abilities of the Manager to get the best from Players. I don't agree with those in the media or anywhere else that say our squad is as poor as it looked last year.

Highly unlikely that it will be a shirt seeing as we are about a week away from the launch of the new one, I can't see them giving Nike the publicity.

So the obligatory scarf shot seems likely although if I had to guess it will be at BMH rather than at Villa Park.

I hope we get more than that. McLeish got the full whack. Scarf and shirt on the Holte steps. Scarf inside the stadium in front of the Holte. Lambert deserves at least that! I want them to make a big deal out of this.

Highly unlikely that it will be a shirt seeing as we are about a week away from the launch of the new one, I can't see them giving Nike the publicity.

So the obligatory scarf shot seems likely although if I had to guess it will be at BMH rather than at Villa Park.

I hope we get more than that. 'he who shall not be named' got the full whack. Scarf and shirt on the Holte steps. Scarf inside the stadium in front of the Holte. Lambert deserves at least that! I want them to make a big deal out of this.

Yea it should be infront of the Holte tbh... Not at BMH

I totally agree we can't KNOW that's why I said it ????

No you didn't, you said, "...as far as it is possible to 'know' something' that hasn't happened yet I am sure..."

You are trying to eat your cake, someone else's, keep both and also take some home in a doggy bag.

Frankly, we ought to let it lie, or agree to disagree as the guidelines would have it, otherwise we'll need to discuss the managerial abilities of deceased pets and algorithms for how many victories represent the benchmark for Lambert next season.

I hope we get more than that. 'he who shall not be named' got the full whack. Scarf and shirt on the Holte steps. Scarf inside the stadium in front of the Holte. Lambert deserves at least that! I want them to make a big deal out of this.

Lambert isn`t the type to want a big deal made of it. He is old school.

Taken a 4 day sabbatical from VT now that the manager's in place, came back to not only find Richard's *still* feeling positive but now CI is too :shock:

The Lambert effect must be contagious.

this just tweeted from James Nursey

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey

@MirrorFootball #BCFC given Chris Hughton permission to speak to #NCFC and terms agreed. Set to take Calderwood and Trollope too.

Expand

so this should mean Culverhouse and Karsa will be at Villa soon!

this just tweeted from James Nursey

James Nursey ‏@JamesNursey

@MirrorFootball #BCFC given Chris Hughton permission to speak to #NCFC and terms agreed. Set to take Calderwood and Trollope too.

Expand

so this should mean Culverhouse and Karsa will be at Villa soon!

Forgive me as I do no know much about Norwich (other than Lambert). So I take it Culverhouse is #2 and Karsa...?

just watched Pete Colley outside Villa Park....

christ these presenters have it easy sometimes...

particular ITK nuggets were.....

Lambert is on a 3 year contract...

no news on any backroom staff joining...

Lambert will need a bit of money to put his own stamp on the team...

i await with baited breath for the next installment of "Colley Investigates!"