Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

linked with Robbie Keame....

MARTIN O'Neill says Villa can continue to "reach for the stars" this season - and he is understood to be running the rule over Tottenham striker Robbie Keane in an effort to bring Villa closer to their dreams.

Keane has found himself out of the Spurs team in recent weeks with Dimitar Berbatov, Mido and Jermain Defoe preferred.

He came off the bench in midweek and scored his second goal of the campaign in the Carling Cup-tie at MK Dons but is yet to open his account in the Premiership.

Keane almost joined Villa from Wolves seven years ago but John Gregory baulked at the £5million asking price.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

O'Neill knows it would cost much more now to lure the 26-year-old Republic of Ireland frontman back to the Midlands.

He is giving nothing away with regards to his targets but has admitted that he wants only top-quality additions.

And O'Neill has already stated he could be hampered by clubs still involved in European competition.

He said: "I think that the squad needs strengthening. The really good players in the dressing room would admit that it would be fanstastic if we could get a little bit more help and that is part of my job.

"I just hope the fans will trust me to do it as best I can.

"I will not please everybody but if there are more than a handful think I am doing okay, then that will be all right.

"Eventually you live or die by what happens on the field of play and, obviously, the more preparation I have for it and the further I am able to look in terms of quality then the better chance you have of getting it right."

O'Neill has concerns about the depth of his squad with Gavin McCann sidelined with a calf injury and Stiliyan Petrov now going down with foot blisters.

Youngsters Isiah Osbourne and Craig Gardner and the hopelessly out-of-favour Eric Djemba-Djemba are left to fight for a central midfield spot alongside Steven Davis.

As a consequence, Lee Hendrie may well be recalled from his loan spell with Stoke City early next week.

O'Neill said: "The unbeaten run will end and then it is how we dig ourselves out after that. It sounds cliched, but we will find our level this year.

"It doesn't mean that you cant try and reach for the stars in moments of ecstasy - and in moments of absolute depression you think about where the next point is coming from.

"We are going fine at this minute. I am just a wee bit concerned about the size of the squad. If we get injuries and suspensions, which are inevitable, it is how we are able to cope."

icbrum

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic - Beckham

Minus points;

Media attention

History with MANURE

Lack of pace

Lack of technical ability besides striking the ball

Not a great header of the ball

A superstar - so may unsettle the dressing room

Not a great tackler

Petrov has the No.7

Pro's

Immediate ROI

He creates goals

Works his socks off - big tick with MON

Great mentor for the younger players - i.e Milner (please) and Abonglahor

Still the best free kicker in the world (better than solano and how much do we miss him)

Will free up Angel to score rather than assist

Likes 'man bags'

In my opinion (sorry - IMO) there would be nothing wrong with paying him £80k a week for 2 seasons..... BRING IT ON!!!! (to quote Family Guy)

PS - I have a wierd feeling Klose would do **** all for us in the premiership. Think Davor Suker...................

I'd better take my Petrov 11 shirt back then :winkold:

maloney any good?

as for keane, jez you could be right but maybe keane is unhappy at being on the bench when i think he is their best striker, so it could out of their hands. dont forget he use to live in brum when with coventry. sure the irish connection eith MON will help too.

maloney any good?

Well I've heard a number of people in various clubs and also read some reports who all rate him. I don't know a lot about him, but it does sound as if he might very well be worth a look if nothing else.

A couple of things I do know about him is he made history by becoming the first player in Scotland to win both the Player of the Year and Young Player of the year awards in the same year and also spent the best part of 2004 out with a knee injury.

Kris Boyd might be a short term stiker solution, he's certainly knocking them in left, right and centre for rangers, certainly knows where the back of the net is, something we need. can't imagine he'd cost a great deal either.

Has Aaron lennon been given a mention? not sure Jol would want to part with him but he's certainly the sort of quality we need on the right hand side.

Keane almost joined Villa from Wolves seven years ago but John Gregory baulked at the £5million asking price.

^^^ has it been that long!!!! ^^^ time flies

I see they are still trying to spin these stories. Wasn't it Ellis who wouldn't pay the extra half million?

:?

i think keane's almost a certainty if we can agree a price, i think MON would probably pay over the odds in order to sign him and randy would back him..

keane would almost definatly join as well, as he heavily praised MON and called villa a massive club etc in an article on the spurs OS, which was posted in this thread a few weeks ago..

The Mercury are linking us with Shaun Maloney from Celtic. It seems if he can't agree a new deal with the Bhoys, O'Neill will step in and grab him in January.

Celtic fan at work I was talking to,dosen't think he's good enough for the Premier League.

maloney any good?

Quality player, best player in the SPL in my opinion, he has pace and scores a fair few goals

So good he struggles to get into the Celtic team.

I'd rather have Milner and SWP over Maloney.

Robbie Keane i would like! It was Gregory who wouldn't pay the extra. He said so in his book.

Guest heppelstone16

everyone says that they would love robbie to join and i wouldn't complain TOO MUCH but he hasnt scored in like the last 9 games or summit do we really want another striker that doesnt score once again we will have lots of playmakers and no bloody finisher!!

I would like to see us try and sign Samaras from Man City. He's young and I think he's already a great player with tons of potential.

Sorry for going off track a little.

Keane would be a good signing. I'd like to see him arrive and then ship out Baros in the summer.