Sportswash! - Let’s oil stare at Manchester City!

Zatman

12 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Finished below the USA In group. Couldn't beat Algeria, shocking. 

Is that Capello fault that a forward line containing a peak Rooney couldnt score vs them plus prob Lampard and Gerrard 

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

Is that Capello fault that a forward line containing a peak Rooney couldnt score vs them plus prob Lampard and Gerrard 

from memory that was the world cup where rooney went proper roy of the rovers, popped up everywhere on the pitch...apart from where he should have been...and as a result we looked utterly toothless, we had a "team" of players such as Lampard, gerrard, welbeck and rooney dropping in to the middle of our own half to collect the ball from the CBs absolutely killing our shape, we looked clueless

for as good as he was at times and his incredible record rooney's role in England being shit is understated IMO there were a fair few games where for all his effort he was killing us, kane as an out and out striker even when he's struggling to get involved and do much still gives us that shape, shame latter career rooney rarely played with a proper out and out stay up top number 9

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Zatman said:

They didn't enjoy playing for him that was the problem.  I know the players have to take responsibility but its his job to manage them and anyone of us could have done a better job than Capello. 

On 25/09/2019 at 17:17, villa4europe said:

id guess the social media culture means they are closer to each other than before, following the likes of tammy of insta you do see a wide variety of players commenting on his posts, the likes of steve bergwijn etc don't know if the relationships are starting younger so these guys "know" each other before they make the senior squads

it seems to be heading to like the NFL on twitter where there's a lot of love and respect shared around the players (normally) a lot of back patting goes on there

I don't like it. I want people to hate each other. Like Roy Keane v everyone else! 

18 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's a game. Let's leave the hating to the fans.

Maybe hate is too strong a word. I used to like the needle of Keane v Vieira match up. Made the game much more of an event. 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

Maybe hate is too strong a word. I used to like the needle of Keane v Vieira match up. Made the game much more of an event. 

Yeah but then you had the Keane and Haaland match up. Dude was a loose cannon. There are still rivalries after bad blood on the pitch. An example would be Leeds vs Derby and if we're in the same league next year it'll bubble over when we play each other then too.

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah but then you had the Keane and Haaland match up. Dude was a loose cannon. There are still rivalries after bad blood on the pitch. An example would be Leeds vs Derby and if we're in the same league next year it'll bubble over when we play each other then too.

Haaland was shouting abuse at him when he did his cruciate and calling him a diver

Bit mad but still can see his point

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Haaland was shouting abuse at him when he did his cruciate and calling him a diver

Bit mad but still can see his point

I'm sure he had no idea he did his cruciate. Either way, the response to that would be a Van Nistelrooy penalty situation, not breaking the man's leg in return.

• 4 months later...

he's right

the aim for them is growth, become a huge huge club at the top table, he's doing his bit, they're winning stuff, they're playing incredible football, the brand bollocks etc he's ticking every box

and there are 20k empty seats

the fans might point the finger at the club and the pricing of tickets, they might say something about pep himself devaluing the cup (even though its replays he has a pop at, the line up was decent) but he's right, it happens in the CL too

the irony is that pep is there to build a club that gets the daytrippers and tourists but the time its taking to do it means he'll be gone by the time they start to fill the stadium

in the context of what Liverpool are doing its not a world ender, depends now how they go out of the CL

the owners have bought an indian team, they've opened up several new flight routes to india, if man city see some good growth in that region thanks to what pep is doing and they see a lot of marketing hits and a successful launch of the Etihad brand there then I doubt the owners will care 

sad reality of football

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

he's right

the aim for them is growth, become a huge huge club at the top table, he's doing his bit, they're winning stuff, they're playing incredible football, the brand bollocks etc he's ticking every box

and there are 20k empty seats

the fans might point the finger at the club and the pricing of tickets, they might say something about pep himself devaluing the cup (even though its replays he has a pop at, the line up was decent) but he's right, it happens in the CL too

the irony is that pep is there to build a club that gets the daytrippers and tourists but the time its taking to do it means he'll be gone by the time they start to fill the stadium

It was always going to be hard for Man City to have large attendances given the club they share a city with. If they were in London then they would get more tourists and day trippers but that's much harder in Manchester. Also any casual football fan anywhere near Manchester is going to be a man united fan for obvious reasons. It's one of the reasons I found it strange city were selected by the Arabs for their project in the first place. Why not buy another club somewhere else, or dare I say it one Aston Villa F.C. Buying a club that shares a city with the biggest club in the world seemed an odd choice.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Pep will not deliver a serious trophy this season, for a club of that size that is falling short of par.

It's not though. There are only 2 "serious" trophies, you can't win one of them every season unless you are in a (formerly?) one team league like Juventus or Munich and even they might not win their leagues this season.

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It was always going to be hard for Man City to have large attendances given the club they share a city with. If they were in London then they would get more tourists and day trippers but that's much harder in Manchester. Also any casual football fan anywhere near Manchester is going to be a man united fan for obvious reasons. It's one of the reasons I found it strange city were selected by the Arabs for their project in the first place. Why not buy another club somewhere else, or dare I say it one Aston Villa F.C. Buying a club that shares a city with the biggest club in the world seemed an odd choice.   

my personal belief has always been instant marketing, seeing as its Chinese new year man utd are the ox and man city are the rat, they did the Tevez welcome to Manchester stuff, noisy neighbours, red vs blue, the global brand of man utd made the launch of the city global brand far far easier, its brand association unlike any other because its association with a rival team

with villa or Newcastle or even everton its a far harder launch pad

• Like 1

that's where I think man city are hard to explain, to me they're not the post roman's Chelsea billionaire play thing* because they got bore of their yachts

these guys have so many fingers in so many pies that are benefitting from man city in ways that we cant see, even the airline (which I don't think is profitable) and then just tourism to the region (which I imagine is) this is all marketing and brand association in a similar way to emirates with arsenal, madrid and PSG and Qatar, I don't believe that it can be as simple as they have so much money they don't know what to do with it, they're operating on a different level, above the realms of the club must win the champions league to be considered a success by the owner, its global multi national moving of money around with ties to Chinese and American investment firms as well as 2 sister abu dhabi investment firms, they've got £1bn worth of properties in their portfolio in Manchester alone including 6,000 houses**

* that later on could be linked to the belief that he had to get out of dodge and effectively bought himself a London residency along with enough fame to ensure he didn't get the plutonium soup special

** with his supposed doctorate in urban planning or whatever guff it was and then him trying to get a role in the commonwealth games planning with the council I always thought that was tony's angle with villa, the city has some Chinese developers hovering around it and he wanted a piece of the pie

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It's not though. There are only 2 "serious" trophies, you can't win one of them every season unless you are in a (formerly?) one team league like Juventus or Munich and even they might not win their leagues this season.

They're not even competing for the premier league to be honest, poor season.

During my time working with the club - 2010-2013 - we saw some stats that 90% of the "brand recognition" of Abu Dhabi was through Manchester City.

Etihad Airlines, the airport being a hub, building Abu Dhabi as a tourist destination (they even have a branch of the Louvre) - that's where the cash is to be made.  Manchester City are purely a marketing vehicle.

The country itself has a brand manual.  Anyone not familiar with one of those, it's more common with brands (obviously) and details logo usage, what typeface goes where and how big, specific colour references for things.  For Abu Dhabi it explains everything down to the last detail.  Even cabs have a specific colour reference.

In terms of the housing in Manchester, that's bought them lot of favour with local government (which in turn will no doubt provide other benefits which may include preferential rates for having an Etihad hub at the airport, etc).

It's all strategic.  It's all always been strategic.

• Like 2

Â