London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Greene, and Idowu will not get gold, but we will see. I agree there are some cycling golds to come.

As for Lewis being on drugs, well that would make him the biggest hypocrite of all time. He was ALWAYS on about how they need to eradicate it from the sport, constantly pointing the finger at Flo Jo, Ben Johnson etc.

Greene, and Idowu will not get gold, but we will see. I agree there are some cycling golds to come.

As for Lewis being on drugs, well that would make him the biggest hypocrite of all time. He was ALWAYS on about how they need to eradicate it from the sport, constantly pointing the finger at Flo Jo, Ben Johnson etc.

You're probably right. Greene won't get gold and with Idowu it all depends on his fitness, but I suspect he won't.

But they still have a chance.

As for Lewis, watch "The Race that Shocked the World". It was a BBC documentary about the 1988 100metres at the Olympics.

Basically, as I said, everyone was on drugs. Johnson was just the one that got caught

Lewis tested positive for stimulants at the 1988 US trials but was given a warning and the results were hushed up.

I would like your top 5 sprinters with justifications please. I dont mean to hijack this Olympic thread with this one subject, but I am just interested in your opinion.

My top 5 sprinters would probably have been in the race last night.

Of all time? So no Maurice Greene in your top 5.

Well top 4 anyway.

Because they're the 4 fastest men of all time.

From memory, Greene scrapes in at number 5, but I could be wrong.

Usain Bolt is now officially the best 100 metre sprinter of all time. Here is my top 5 based on championship medals, longevity and personal best times.

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

Anyone agree/disagree :?:

I'd remove Lewis and Christie form the list purely for their (alleged) use of performance enhancing drugs

Edit :

added an "alleged" but on reflection I'm not sure it's required seeing as both athletes tested positive

Carl Lewis on drugs? Are you sure? I would be very surprised by that especially as he was so outspoken on the issue of drugs in sport.

He failed 3 drugs tests during the 88 US trails

But when it comes to top sprinters of all time, it is not just the personal best that is important. I think Olympic and world championship medals is more important.

For example Asafa Powell has a pb of 9.72, Maurice Greenes is 9.79. But surely Maurice Greene with his Olympic 100m gold, and 97, 99 and 2001 world championship golds in the 100m is the better sprinter out of the 2 bearing in mind Powell has never even got a gold or silver in a major.

Bolt, Owens, Hayes , Lewis, Morrow. You could swap Hines for any of the latter 3. All changed the common perception of the body type and technique you needed to win the 100m.

So you criticise my list but you have no Maurice Greene. Olympic champion in the 100m in 2000, plus 3 world championship golds in a row (97, 99 and 2001). As well as over 40 sub tens. He may not of changed the common conception of the body type needed to win, but when it came to winning titles and winning under pressure when it mattered, he was the man.

In addition to this, he was not involved in any drugs scandals either.

Your list was drivel, that's why I criticised it.

Greene was a great sprinter but did not have nearly the same impact on the sport that the others I mentioned did. Therefore it's pretty easy to not include him in the top 5.

All the others won gold so you have to look at other factors. In the build up to this year's games, they still were talking about Owens in 36, Lewis in 84 and Hayes in 64. I didn't see one mention of Greene in 2000.

My list was not drivel. I believe if you asked Michael Johnson for his top 5 of all time, he would say Bolt, Owens, Lewis, Greene and I am not sure about who else.

Basically my critieria for judging the best sprinters of all time is different to yours. I think Gold medals in the major championships is the most important factor. Followed by pb and sub 10 times and then longevity, how long they managed to stay at the top of the tree. Your criteria is different. But to call my list as drivel is ridiculous. In the build up to these games people were not talking about Hayes 64 at all. Where did you get this from?

Â