London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

Usain Bolt is now officially the best 100 metre sprinter of all time. Here is my top 5 based on championship medals, longevity and personal best times.

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

Anyone agree/disagree :?:

NBC decided not to show the 100m final

i think they had horse riding on instead, what a royal **** up their olympic coverage seems to be

They are probably saving it for prime time. Following NBC's coverage from afar is hilarious and tragic. The yanks might make some spectacularly good television, but they are light years behind the rest of the developed world when it comes to how it's broadcast. I found out recently that they never even had teletext on that side of the pond! :shock:

Yeah, the standards out here suck ass.

I invested in a vpn again in order to watch the BBC.

It'll be a long time before i turn NBC on again.

And nope, they've never had teletext out here, had tough time explaining that wonder to my American wife! ;)

Wot? No Jesse Owens?

I thought about Jesse Owens in 4th behing Bolt, Lewis and Greene who are far ahead of the rest. But as with the football, it is impossible to compare someone from 60 years before. It is difficult to compare someone from a completely different era. There were no world championshps then, it is hard to say with todays training methods what he would of done. I did have him in mind though.

What is your top 5?

Stars and Stripes falls during Serena Williams medal ceremony.

And for a bonus point, can anybody quote the lyric which should have been sung about 0.05 seconds before the flag falls? I double checked, it is the one you are probably thinking of.

"Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there"?

Please let it be that. :lol:

Usain Bolt is now officially the best 100 metre sprinter of all time. Here is my top 5 based on championship medals, longevity and personal best times.

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

I'd remove Lewis and Christie form the list purely for their (alleged) use of performance enhancing drugs

Edit :

added an "alleged" but on reflection I'm not sure it's required seeing as both athletes tested positive

Teach your kids the importance of spelling. Australia have one gold medal while great britain have won gold medals 

teach them correct use of Capital letters as well :winkold:

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

I'd remove Lewis and Christie form the list purely for their (alleged) use of performance enhancing drugs

Edit :

added an "alleged" but on reflection I'm not sure it's required seeing as both athletes tested positive

Carl Lewis on drugs? Are you sure? I would be very surprised by that especially as he was so outspoken on the issue of drugs in sport.

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

That's a **** horrible list. No Jesse Owens? No Jim Hines? Bob Hayes?

It's difficult to compare eras but what you can do is look at people who have either dominated their sport, held records for long periods of time or (most importantly) changed the perception of their sport for good.

Picking 5 guys from a 30 year(ish) timespan simply reflects an ignorance of the sport.

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

That's a **** horrible list. No Jesse Owens? No Jim Hines? Bob Hayes?

It's difficult to compare eras but what you can do is look at people who have either dominated their sport, held records for long periods of time or (most importantly) changed the perception of their sport for good.

Picking 5 guys from a 30 year(ish) timespan simply reflects an ignorance of the sport.

Wow, that is an extremely over aggressive post. I have great knowledge of the 100m sprint, but maybe because of my age, you know more then me about the pre 80s eras. But to describe it as a horrible list is over the top. If you had to ask Michael Johnson to pick his top 5, I beleive it would be similar to mine.

Anyway if you can come up with a better list with justifications I would like to see it.

1. Bolt

2. Lewis

3. Greene

4. Bailey

5. Christie

Edit :

Carl Lewis on drugs? Are you sure? I would be very surprised by that especially as he was so outspoken on the issue of drugs in sport.

Almost certainly.

Basically everyone was on drugs in 1988.

Voinjama, your prediction has been blown out of the water!

Was hoping no one noticed. I said 14, the total is now 16 with potentially 2 more Golds to come.

Don't worry mate, I thought 14 was a bit conservative but wouldn't have been surprised if you'd have been right.

I personally think we'll get comfortably more than 2 more gold medals.

We've still got Pendleton, Hoy and Kenny all in with a very good shout of gold on the track cycling alone.

That's before you even mention people like Tweddle, Greene, Idowu, Reade etc who all have chances as well. Although if Dai Greene runs like he did yesterday he'd do well to finish last.

Â