Championship Manager 01/02

Sureshot

Anyone still play this? Still harbour fond (or not-so-fond) memories?

I was having a kick around the Internet today and remembered that Eidos released it for free a while back. Since then, it seems that the game has established a substantial modding community.

As it happens, 01/02 was my favourite version of the game back in the day; for me, the game seemed to become more work than fun after that. So - being that I'm starting to climb the walls on my Christmas visit to my parents - I decided to grab it again and see what all the fuss was about with some of the fan-made creations. In the end, I obtained a fully up-to-date player database and the Tapani patcher, which (amongst other things) allows you to start the game at a later date and run the game in a window larger than 800x600.

Needless to say, I am still sitting here 4-5 hours later having got through half a season with Walsall and am absolutely loving it. The delicate marriage of simplicity and depth is still as good as ever, plus the updated database I grabbed (ODB from Sept '11) breathes a whole new life into proceedings.

If you're interested in having a go, champman0102.co.uk gives you pretty much everything you need to get started. Definitely recommend it if you want some old-school 'casual' CM-action brought into the present day.

Quality game.

We've got some good players on the original database, Mellberg, Boateng, Merson, Ginola, and Dion Dublin.

Always start the season in the Intertoto Cup, and with the silver NTL away kit. You can pick up Kim Kallstrom for next to nothing, aswell as players like Stefan Selakovic, and Greek super keeper Chiotis.

I agree, great times.

I try to run the new FM series in a similar way IE; just commentary, send my Assistant to do many of my so-called jobs.

I just want to pick the team, sell, buy and tweak the odd little tactic.

I'm exactly the same, commentary only, let assistant sort training and opposition instruction, leaving me to the basics. Thats why CM was so good, really straight forward, and you could fly through games, with no faffing about.

I'm sure it was this version that had a guy called 'Joao Paiva', a 17 year old, Portuguese kid available on a free at the start. I used to buy him for my non league teams and when coached/trained properly he turned out to be an absolute legend. I won the Champions League with Farnborough; definitely my favourite version.

01/02 is still my favourite footie management game, purely because it nailed the balance between being involving and not ruining your life

the older i get the less time i have to bother with the more in depth crap that they put into these games. the latest fm was good, it seems they made it accessible for people like me who havent really got the time to invest though

• 3 weeks later...

was a classic game i remember you could cheap players from 3rd division and automatically be worth 5 or 6 million

i got to Champions league with a midfield of ryan williams, luke gutteridge, gavin mccann and john mcgrath with Carew, Balaban and Angel up front :P

Belarus were beasts in that game Tsiglako, Nikiforenko and Mileyvskii were all world class

Have been playing this with the updated squads, it is quite addictive like it was back in the day.

I did raise a chuckle playing as Villa. When Harry Redknapp leaves spurs for England and they appoint the new manager as none other than Mr Alex McCleish.... how i wish.....

maxim tsigalko scored 2 goals a games and cost like 1 mil

was that the season Wimbledon were sponsored by Eidos and Lionel Morgan was also unbelievable?

I think they were the same year

I had my greatest moment on this game....about 4 seasons in I sold Arjen Robben for £89m to Barcelona.

Still my highest bid received ever.

Appiah and Eric Addo were a beast of a Centre Mid partnership too!

I think it was Joe Cole I sold to Barca for £106M, he was 28 when I sold him.

Â