Martin O'Neill

maqroll

I'm not sure you can blame O'Neill for that (although the evidence of this thread suggests people will blame him for anything however ludicrous.)

so we cant blame him for leaving us with some average players? Interesting

The rules of English grammar force me to point out you have misunderstood the statement. To make it easier:

(a) Martin O'Neill bought some very good players and some not so good players (1)

(B) All the good ones he bought have been sold off (2)

© so the impression might arise that he left us with only poor players - but that is only because all the good ones were sold off

(d) You can't blame him for the fact that all the good players he bought were sold off.

[(1) This makes him like virtually every other mnanager in the

football league

(2)And what happened to the money?]

Hope that makes it a bit clearer.

Clear as mud.

the money covered some of the cracks for the shite he bought.... not so very good players is a convenient euphemism.

Even now that O'Neill has declared that he didn't walk out on his contract, you still don't accept that he was fired.

i dont think he was fired jkust like that, i think he wanted to be fired personally

"beam me up, scotty"

One thing is for certain, no matter what went on behind the scenes I will never forgive O'Neill for walking out at the time he did.

Even now that O'Neill has declared that he didn't walk out on his contract, you still don't accept that he was fired.

One day there will be a URL for you to treat as confirmation. :winkold:

The day that he left we released a club statement saying that he had resigned.

Do you honestly think that a man as litigious as Martin O'Neill would have let that slur on his reputation go without ever challenging it?

He resigned. There may well have been good reasons for him to do so, but he resigned none the less.

Whatever the circumstances of MONs departure, the clubs failure to have someone to take over is simply unforgiveable.

Surely they had a whiff of what might happen? Anyone with any sense would have a successor lined up.

But as you can see from what has come about Lerner and Faulkner are delusional.

Whatever the circumstances of MONs departure, the clubs failure to have someone to take over is simply unforgiveable.

Surely they had a whiff of what might happen? Anyone with any sense would have a successor lined up.

But as you can see from what has come about Lerner and Faulkner are delusional.

Agree fully with this. It was clear from the start of the summer that the relationship between MON and Lerner/Faulkner was breaking down and they should have handled it better, preferably by forcing the issue in May and if necessary bringing in a new manager at that stage who they could work with.

Everyone else has had their opinion, now I will have mine. MON is the best manager this club has had in a long time. Now just look at the mess the club is in. You dont know what you have until its gone. We will not see top 6 finishes again at Villa Park for at least another 5 years. To all the people who wanted him to leave in mid 2010, I hope you are happy now. In the transfer he was average at best, and when everyone was telling him to break the bank for Bent he went for Heskey, so yes he made mistakes, but he is still the best manager at the club since Brian Little.

We will not see top 6 finishes again at Villa Park for at least another 5 years.

I know we are bad, but I reckon we should be able to do this next season.

In the championship :D

As I said in another topic when I have premonitions they usually come true. I had a premonition about villa getting to the cup final in 2010 and about beating chelsea the night before the win against them in september 2007. I have had 2 about villa going down next season. We can all see the decline over the 3 seasons. The club will be playing Championship football in 2013/2014, and for a club of this size and stature, that is a great shame.

We will then look back on the MON era as a golden one.

Everyone else has had their opinion, now I will have mine. MON is the best manager this club has had in a long time. Now just look at the mess the club is in. You dont know what you have until its gone. We will not see top 6 finishes again at Villa Park for at least another 5 years. To all the people who wanted him to leave in mid 2010, I hope you are happy now. In the transfer he was average at best, and when everyone was telling him to break the bank for Bent he went for Heskey, so yes he made mistakes, but he is still the best manager at the club since Brian Little.
What about the forgotten one, John Gregory?

You point to where we are now as evidence that MON is some sort of great manager, but I don't really think it's as simple as that.

John Gregory did well for 2 years, but in a stronger premier league, MON got top 6 for 3 seasons, JG only twice, with lower points totals. Some of the football being played in the calendar year 2008 was Champions league standard and he had us believeing. If it wasnT for that prick Dowd, he would of also won us a trophy. MON was better for us then JG:

John Gregory did well for 2 years, but in a stronger premier league, MON got top 6 for 3 seasons, JG only twice, with lower points totals. Some of the football being played in the calendar year 2008 was Champions league standard and he had us believeing. If it wasnT for that prick Dowd, he would of also won us a trophy. MON was better for us then JG:

But was MON really better for us than Gregory? Both achieved the same for Villa. Gregory however did it under much tougher ownership.

I liked JG. Had a real passion for us and a very good coach by all accounts. He had a fair bit to spend, certainly given he worked under Ellis, but he achieved about what you'd expect. In fact from the time he took over in Feb 98 to the end of that year he had an unbelievable record. He **** up big time in the cup final though as we were way too negative and never really had a go against a Chelsea side that given how they performed were there for the taking. I came away from Wembley that day thinking we'd just not turned up and what a wasted opportunity to put right how long it had been since we'd won the FA Cup.

Like many before him after leaving us his career went quickly down hill. I honestly think it knocked the bollocks out of him when he got the push and he never got close to having the same enthusiasm/passion for another club.

It was never going to happen and never will but I think if he'd have been brought in instead of McLeish he'd be doing a far better job. Although obviously that is not saying much.

when he got the push and he never got close to having the same enthusiasm/passion for another club.

I am pretty sure he resigned.

And then appeared at Derby County very quickly, where he seemed to be very enthusiastic about the home fans.

I honestly can't remember how his departure was worded but I'd be confident in saying he got the push.

I am also not surprised he appeared to be enthusiastic to be at Derby, its what players and managers do, but for me he lost something and never seemed to have the same passion he had with us after leaving. It was as if he'd had his dream job and anything else was always going to be second best.

I met him on a couple of occasions and the passion he had for Aston Villa was up there with any of our supporters and I'd include myself in that.

Gregory resigns

John Gregory has resigned as manager of Aston Villa - with the club blaming the "the pressures of the job".

Gregory - who would have celebrated four years in charge next month - had been under pressure from fans after Villa suffered a slump in league form and surrendered a 2-0 lead in an FA Cup tie at home to Manchester United.

A "Gregory out" banner was displayed in the crowd recently and the 47-year-old was involved in an angry verbal altercation with a supporter towards the end of the recent home game with Derby.

Yet only two weeks ago Gregory said he would "never walk away" from Villa and as recently as Tuesday was talking about a Champions League place being a realistic aim for his side this season.

Chairman Doug Ellis said on Thursday evening: "John's resignation is sad. It was most unexpected but has been amicable."

First team coaches John Deehan and Stuart Gray - boasting managerial experience at Norwich and Southampton respectively - have been placed in caretaker charge until the board can consider applications for the job.

Doug Ellis says the move is amicable

Gregory - whose contract at Villa Park had 18 months left to run - has said he wants to take a break from football before deciding what his future holds.

Nevertheless the 47-year-old's name is bound to be linked with the vacant position across the Midlands at Derby County.

Ellis added: "I can understand how John feels regarding his need for break and this is a reflection of the pressures that managers endure in modern day Premier League football."

The Villa chairman insisted the parting was an amicable affair and that Gregory, who took over in February 1998, would be welcome back at the club.

The chairman - famously dubbed `Deadly Doug' for the frequency with which he has replaced under-performing managers - claims he will bide his time in appointing a successor.

He said: "I personally wish John and his family well in all they do in the future and he will always be welcome at Villa Park.

John Gregory factfile

1954: Born Scunthorpe, May 11

1970: Joins Northampton Town as a trainee - the first of five clubs

1977: Joins Aston Villa for £40,000

1988: Retires from playing and becomes assistant manager to Alan Ball at Portsmouth

1989: Made Pompey manager

1990: Sacked by Portsmouth

1991: Joins Leicester as coach to Brian Little

1994: Follows Little to Aston Villa as coach

1996: Appointed manager of Wycombe

1998: Succeeds Little as Villa manager

2002: Resigns as Villa boss, 24 January

"We will not rush into a replacement appointment as John and Stuart both have previous management experience."

The statement released on Thursday evening said: "Aston Villa FC announce that manager John Gregory has today tended his resignation which has reluctantly been accepted by the board.

"This arrangement has been dealt with on an amicable basis and the board wish to place on record their appreciation of John's services during his four years as manager of the club."

Gregory is the fifth Premiership manager to leave his club this season - with his former coach Gray ironically being one of the others. Derby County's Jim Smith and Colin Todd and Peter Taylor of Leicester City are the others.

The former QPR and England midfielder succeeded Brian Little at Villa Park in February 1998 and took Villa to the top of the league in October.

But the team then suffered a run of one win in 11 games before victories in their last two matches moved them back up to seventh place in the table.

John Deehan will take temporary charge with Stuart Gray

Gregory has had long battles with Ellis over finances - and it was said that the chairman was responsible for signing winger David Ginola who the manager consistently left on the bench.

But Gregory said this week that he got on well with his chairman and added that they both had the best interests of the club at heart.

Ellis said on Thursday that his manager needed to "take a break" but the timing of the departure is surprising given that Villa have won their last two league matches after a spell of one victory in the previous 13 games.

Gregory had been due to attend a Football Association disciplinary hearing in Manchester on Thursday to answer a misconduct charge after he had been sent from the dug-out during the recent match with Liverpool.

He requested an adjournment and just a few hours later the reason became clear.

If we got Gregory back we would get relegated. He’s no where good enough for us now. No one clamours for Brian Little who achieved alot more than Gregory at Villa.

Â