Final Fantasy

hogso

Posted (edited)

Hope you're enjoying it my dude. 

I've just left Junon. The game is everything I had hoped for, and more. 

And how's about this for a nifty little QoL feature (well I think it is) - the clock on your playtime pauses if you idle on the menu. Amazing. 

Oh, and Queen's Blood is really growing on me! A big advantage it has over Gwent being that with that game, once you got to a certain point, you just couldn't lose if you knew what you were doing. This game really requires a lot of strategy and deck building skill, depending on who you're playing. The story to the game, as much as I've seen so fa anyway, is curious too. 

Edited by hogso

7 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Reminds me a bit of Triple Triad - Once you got to a certain point you couldn't lose.

**** that! Once you got to a certain point I've put a 50+ hour saves in the bin because I was so angry I'd lost a special card that I couldn't win back, it's a downward spiral that's hard to recover from

I love TT but trying to get every card was a right bastard that I've only done once 

That's what the FF9 card game never seemed to recapture, the summon and character cards that had a huge risk playing later on 

Edited by villa4europe

Just now, HKP90 said:

For those who have played the remake, how open world is it? Is there a map to explore?

Part 2 that is.

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

For those who have played the remake, how open world is it? Is there a map to explore?

Short answer, yes there is an open world map to explore. 

Longer answer is there are 8 maps in total spread across the world, covering the regions of Grasslands, Junon, Corel, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Nibel, Meridian Ocean and Northwood. 

On top of that you have places which are independent to those regions, for example Golden Saucer. That's where I am at the moment, so anything after the Corel region I can't comment on, but they are big. 

Doing everything in the Grasslands region for example, the first area you have access to, took me about 10 hours. In terms of the original game, that's the period of time from where you leave Midgar until you enter the Mythril Mines. Rebirth still follows that general route - Kalm, flashback, Chocobo Ranch, acquire a Chocobo, cross the marsh, enter the mine, but of course there are collectibles, optional mid boss encounters, side quests and so on. Saying much more than that would be venturing in to spoiler territory I feel, as there are umpteen little bits dotted around to find and be surprised by. 

The game does feel massive, and really fleshed out, with things having meaning behind them rather than being a mere tick box exercise towards completing a region. Dared I say it feels too big, daunting almost, especially as a gamer whose gaming time is now limited. At the same time though, I'm loving it, and don't want it to end.

Considering the vertical slice of the game as a whole, there are few other games I've played which come close to troubling the content available, the amount of systems, side activities, mini games...it's almost unbelievable. The obvious comparison would the Yakuza/LaD, I guess. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hogso said:

Short answer, yes there is an open world map to explore. 

Longer answer is there are 8 maps in total spread across the world, covering the regions of Grasslands, Junon, Corel, Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Nibel, Meridian Ocean and Northwood. 

On top of that you have places which are independent to those regions, for example Golden Saucer. That's where I am at the moment, so anything after the Corel region I can't comment on, but they are big. 

Doing everything in the Grasslands region for example, the first area you have access to, took me about 10 hours. In terms of the original game, that's the period of time from where you leave Midgar until you enter the Mythril Mines. Rebirth still follows that general route - Kalm, flashback, Chocobo Ranch, acquire a Chocobo, cross the marsh, enter the mine, but of course there are collectibles, optional mid boss encounters, side quests and so on. Saying much more than that would be venturing in to spoiler territory I feel, as there are umpteen little bits dotted around to find and be surprised by. 

The game does feel massive, and really fleshed out, with things having meaning behind them rather than being a mere tick box exercise towards completing a region. Dared I say it feels too big, daunting almost, especially as a gamer whose gaming time is now limited. At the same time though, I'm loving it, and don't want it to end.

Considering the vertical slice of the game as a whole, there are few other games I've played which come close to troubling the content available, the amount of systems, side activities, mini games...it's almost unbelievable. The obvious comparison would the Yakuza/LaD, I guess. 

Ooh. I'm tempted now. That sounds ace.

Is this the best FF game ever...? I think it has to be top 5 for me at the moment. Granted I'm not finished with it yet, but good lord. It's an excellent game.

So the route to the platinum trophy has now been, uh, revealed and it was something I had every intention of getting as I really enjoyed getting it for Remake. 

But OH **** it is going to be so tough. So so tough. 

Light spoilers below for chapter 8 related to the completion of a side quest in Costa Del Sol

Spoiler

You have to get all of the collectibles for Johnny, there are three or four trophies associated with it, including getting every collectible, and believe me when I say, we're talking FFX 200 lightning dodges / FFIX 1000 rope skips levels of difficulty

If I do go for it, I can see my play time going 200 hours+ 

This game is so good, feels like gameplay wise they've really spent time refining everything from FFXV and hit the mark everywhere so far for me. Biggest compliment I can give is how lived in the world feels, I don't think any game I've played has managed it quite this well. 

3 hours ago, jjaacckk91 said:

This game is so good, feels like gameplay wise they've really spent time refining everything from FFXV and hit the mark everywhere so far for me. Biggest compliment I can give is how lived in the world feels, I don't think any game I've played has managed it quite this well. 

Yeah, only really Witcher 3 is on the same level I think. The devs took a lot of inspiration from Horizon, and it blows that open world out of the water. 

9 minutes ago, hogso said:

Yeah, only really Witcher 3 is on the same level I think. The devs took a lot of inspiration from Horizon, and it blows that open world out of the water. 

Interested by that, horizon has the thickest open world I've ever seen if that makes sense, it has the densest grass and bushes and trees etc doesn't necessarily feel alive in the villages and towns but the detail in between is crazy, I know that game also has some of the wildest face and hair animations, would say as a world horizon works really well buts it's not an RPG 

Played the witcher on PS4 so can't really compare it but where cyberpunk ended up is the benchmark for me, that's an incredible city, but it's not a world so hard to compare it with FF (said in the cyberpunk thread it sets the bar for rockstar and GTA 6 to try and beat) 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Interested by that, horizon has the thickest open world I've ever seen if that makes sense, it has the densest grass and bushes and trees etc doesn't necessarily feel alive in the villages and towns but the detail in between is crazy, I know that game also has some of the wildest face and hair animations, would say as a world horizon works really well buts it's not an RPG 

Played the witcher on PS4 so can't really compare it but where cyberpunk ended up is the benchmark for me, that's an incredible city, but it's not a world so hard to compare it with FF (said in the cyberpunk thread it sets the bar for rockstar and GTA 6 to try and beat) 

It's a little hard to explain spoiler free, but in short, Rebirth feels like it wears it's influences on it's sleeve - FFXV, Horizon, Witcher, AC/Ubisoft open world games, Ghost of Tsushima, MGS V...which is a statement that would have struck fear in to fans before release, probably. 

The game is all the better for taking all that inspiration though, as it's absolutely still a Final Fantasy game, seeing as the series has tried to reinvent itself umpteen times in the last couple of decades to degrees of success ranging from fine to failure. 

The comparison with 16 is a good example, the level design in that game was just fine for an FF, but Rebirth is on another level. The difference between areas like the Grasslands and Gongaga is absolutely staggering and as far from a copy and paste texture swap of areas that you can get.

The towns are awesome, the dungeons are great...it's not quite a 10 out of 10 game though, as some of the lighting issues are annoying. The low quality textures and issues in performance mode don't bother me, but you'd have to acknowledge them when considering how good it is objectively. Some of the mini games, as I've mentioned before, are annoying, but they're mostly optional and even if you do try them all once as most players do I imagine, you can score a 'pass' score with relative ease, but getting the top score for the best prize can be difficult, and it shouldn't be right? 

Edited by hogso

• 3 weeks later...

Finally spent a bit of time with this now. Totally finished the Grasslands and got through Mythril Mines, I've just mopped up all the stuff the other side before even setting foot in Junon >_<

It's a beauty of a game, and I'm loving all the extra filler story stuff along the way - my only gripe, and it's more on my part than anything, is that there is A LOT of new stuff to get my head around. Synergy (which I still don't fully understand how to activate), synergy whilst blocking, folios, the weapon abilities you can assign, item crafting, and there is so much more materia. Just a bit overwhelming.

Â