Match Thread - DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

wedge

My team. It'll never happen, but it's what I'd play

Given

Cuellar   Dunne   Clark

Agbonlahor    Petrov   Bannan   Herd     Delph

^^>

Ireland     Bent

Go Brazil on their ass. 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 are just cancelling teams out at any level below the top 4. We should be a bit clever and use our strengths.

Centre back 3 all good in the air to take care of set pieces and long balls.

2 wingers with the speed and engine to be able to track back and help out in defence.

3 in the middle so 2 can go forward while one stays back, or either can push out to the wings to provide support to the wing-backs.

Ireland was born a Libero. Play him as one.

Bent as the ponta da lança as always.

Paul Lambert would eat that formation for breakfast!

There's a reason no-one plays 3-5-2 anymore

Yep, they're too scared to change from anything other than what looks like a 442 or a 451.

Not picking on your post specifically, but unfortunately all the negative responses to trying something different shows just why managers in this country aren't able to change it around or implement their own systems.

Nope.

If you play 3-5-2, a decent opposition tactically, which Norwich are despite a lack of top class talent, would just play 1 up front, 5 in midfield and push their full backs up.

The 1 up front is key because it takes one of our players out of the game.

That automatically means we'd have 3 CBs marking one man.

Their advanced fullbacks would take Gabby and Delph (in your formation) out of the game.

Then they'd be left with their 5 man midfield against our 3 men that were left.

Meaning they coudl effectively have 1 guy doign what he likes in a free role (attack or help out the defence) and still have a 4 vs 3 midfield

3-5-2 would work well if the opposition stuck to a traditional 4-4-2 or were tactically naieve enough not to exploit the weaknesses that a 3-5-2 brings.

The middle of the park would be congested, but they'd overwhelm us

Paul Lambert is not tactically naieve.

As I said, if we were to play 3-5-2 Lambert would be licking his lips.

Given

Cuellar   Dunne   Clark

^^>

Ireland     Bent

Go Brazil on their ass. 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 are just cancelling teams out at any level below the top 4. We should be a bit clever and use our strengths.

2 wingers with the speed and engine to be able to track back and help out in defence.

3 in the middle so 2 can go forward while one stays back, or either can push out to the wings to provide support to the wing-backs.

Yep, they're too scared to change from anything other than what looks like a 442 or a 451.

Not picking on your post specifically, but unfortunately all the negative responses to trying something different shows just why managers in this country aren't able to change it around or implement their own systems.

Nope.

If you play 3-5-2, a decent opposition tactically, which Norwich are despite a lack of top class talent, would just play 1 up front, 5 in midfield and push their full backs up.

Their advanced fullbacks would take Gabby and Delph (in your formation) out of the game.

Meaning they coudl effectively have 1 guy doign what he likes in a free role (attack or help out the defence) and still have a 4 vs 3 midfield

3-5-2 would work well if the opposition stuck to a traditional 4-4-2 or were tactically naieve enough not to exploit the weaknesses that a 3-5-2 brings.

You'd be spot on if it weren't for the fact that players don't stay in one place. Zonal marking and pressing mean that there isn't any part of the pitch where players are left on their own.

Also, teams prepare for the next game by doing their homework on players, formations, weaknesses etc. of the opponent. They can't change their whole approach to a game very effectively half way through if they suddenly have something vastly different to what they expected.

As I say, it's only what I'd do if I was the manager, but I'm not. So perhaps we would get stuffed, but perhaps I'm right in my assertion that teams who are prepared to try different things will find themselves doing much better in a stagnant league.

Whatever the formation or line up, we simply need to play better.

There's plenty of international caps and experience in our back 5, and we have a "proven goalscorer"

And yet we keep seeing defensive naivety and glorious chances missed (the few we have created, you'll notice I've skipped the midfield, McLeish style)

Jenas will be on the bench, not starting, I think.

--------------------------------------GIVEN------------------------------------------------

--HUTTON-------------DUNNE-----------------COLLINS--------------WARNOCK-------

---------------------------------------HERD------------------------------------------------

------------------------------PETROV-------BANNAN--------------------------------------

----------ZOG-------------------------BENT---------------------GABBY-------------------

Bench: GUZAN, CUELLAR, CLARK, IRELAND, DELPH, HESKEY, ALBRIGHTON, JENAS

What a strong bench that is...

Jenas (finally) and Bannan in squad according to AVFC official Twitter.
That will surely mean no Heskey :cheers:

why does that mean no heskey?

I don't think McLeish would be stupid enough to play Heskey in midfield if both Bannan and Jenas are available.

Jenas will be on the bench, not starting, I think.

--------------------------------------GIVEN------------------------------------------------

--HUTTON-------------DUNNE-----------------COLLINS--------------WARNOCK-------

---------------------------------------HERD------------------------------------------------

------------------------------PETROV-------BANNAN--------------------------------------

----------ZOG-------------------------BENT---------------------GABBY-------------------

Bench: GUZAN, CUELLAR, CLARK, IRELAND, DELPH, HESKEY, ALBRIGHTON, JENAS

What a strong bench that is...

Your only allowed 7 subs on the bench arent you????

I don't think McLeish would be stupid enough to play Heskey in midfield if both Bannan and Jenas are available.

You'd be surprised, I'm fully expecting Heskey to start...

Nah, shouldn't do. He didn't start Heskey in the WBA game when Bannan was available.

Nah, shouldn't do. He didn't start Heskey in the WBA game when Bannan was available.

Wee Barry's been a naughty boy though...

Wee Barry's been a naughty boy though, expect him to be sitting on the bench with a dunce cap on...

Given

Cuellar   Dunne   Clark

^^>

Ireland     Bent

Nope.

You'd be spot on if it weren't for the fact that players don't stay in one place. Zonal marking and pressing mean that there isn't any part of the pitch where players are left on their own.

Also, teams prepare for the next game by doing their homework on players, formations, weaknesses etc. of the opponent. They can't change their whole approach to a game very effectively half way through if they suddenly have something vastly different to what they expected.

As I say, it's only what I'd do if I was the manager, but I'm not. So perhaps we would get stuffed, but perhaps I'm right in my assertion that teams who are prepared to try different things will find themselves doing much better in a stagnant league.

I cometely agree. But 3-5-2 isn't different. It's outdated.

United played 3-5-2 against fulham last year. Fulham wouldn't have expected it. Yet fulham won comfortably.