Trophies and Achievements

Designer1

As I'm a big Achievement/Trophy whore I wondered how the other gamers on the site felt about them. For me, they extend the enjoyment of a game a massive amount and encourage replay which to me adds value. I also believe they are here to stay and have now become an integral part of gaming.

So, a few questions...

1) Love them? Hate them? Not bothered either way?

2) Most satisfying Trophy/Achievement gained?

3) Most ridiculous Trophy/Achievement seen in a game or achieved?

I like them, extra incentive to go back and play games again to try and mop up those that you missed. I've never got all the achievements on any game, or got a platinum trophy, but i've come close.

The one that took the most work for me, was in Burnout Paradise, the one you're awarded with when you've completed all the events and received your Burnout Paradise licence. It's only 60G, but it takes some time because there are a lot of events to work your way through, good game though.

The most ridiculous achievement i've come across was in the Simpsons game, you get 5G, for pressing start to begin the game!

I personally don't find achievements and trophies much of an incentive to keep playing a game once I've become bored of the game itself but there is no denying they're a great thing and occasionally do get their claws into me (most recent example being FFXIII's trophies - 100%ing that was very satisfying)

I don't like them. As a PC gamer I try to avoid Games For Windows Live so the whole 'Gamerscore' thing means nothing to me, but I still encounter achievements due to the way they're incorporated into Steam. Personally I get no sense or very little sense of fulfilment from obtaining them, because they're either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard while being pointless in the context of the game. I could try completing The Witcher 2 using just my index fingers, which would be tough and a kind of 'achievement', but at the end of it I'd still be asking myself 'Why the hell did I just bother to do that?' It's a kind of tacked on challenge, rather than one that's been designed as an integral part of the game...

They just don't suit the way I game. I'll never forget playing through Half Life: Episode 2 for the first time, being excited at the experience because it was a game I'd been psyched up for for ages, spending some time exploring the environment of White Forest, looking for little details and easter eggs in it under my own steam... all of a sudden 'ACHIEVEMENT PROGRESS - Cache Checker, find all the hidden arms caches! (1/5)' popped up. Total immersion breaker. So the only difference they've made to me is that I now play new purchases with the Steam overlay turned off.

I ignore them entirely to be honest.

Same. I understand that for some people they add some value and extend the playing time of a game, but in a lot of games you end up doing the most menial tasks in order to get 100% and I don't really see the point. May as well do some housework.

Not bothered about them really. Think the only game I ever decided to go for them all was Resi 5, and that was only because it was piss-easy/not particulary time-consuming. I don't get particularly annoyed when they flash-up, but I wouldn't miss 'em if they were gone.

Grinding is fun! Join us sadists limpid, you'd be in for a lifetime of misery/pleasure :x

(most recent example being FFXIII's trophies - 100%ing that was very satisfying)

I'm gunning for this at the moment, currently in the 'post-game' farming traps and platinum ingots from the Adamantortoise on Eden. I mustve beaten at least 15 now, and I've so far got 1 plat and 3 traps. At least the CP is good with a Growth Egg I guess but...man. It is a very very nice feelng when you do get something in the spoils though

There are two sorts to my mind. The ones (eg in Mass Effect) where things are unlocked/enhanced in game and the ones that make no difference whatsoever (eg Civ V). I prefer the former.

All that said, in LOTRO you earn 'titles' for doing stuff and you choose which one you want to display publicly, the idea being you change them regularly. I never change mine. I am a Pie Eating Champion. Hobbit ain't I?

Â