Republic of Ireland

Voinjama

You're over-analysing I feel. I don't disagree with any of the above but the fact is Ireland don't have the players. We can't go out and buy those players so we need to use what we've got as best we can. Say what you want about O'Neill but he does get the best from his players on the pitch and that's all I want. We'll be a lot more competitive against the better sides. The sides who don't park the bus. The 6-pointer group games we need to be winning.

Hmmm

He gets the best from certain players BOF, others he falls out with and seemingly can't get much out and so he ends up buying new ones while the old ones rot in the reserves.

I don't see this lending itself to International football, if O'Neill has a strength it is identifying the right type of characters to respond to his motivation but as we know to our cost he doesn't always get it right.

The problem is in international football, especially with Ireland he has a small pool of players to work with and that is it, he can't go buy people who will respond to him as you say yourself.

As it is the Irish players don't seem to lack motivation so I'm not sure how he is going to improve things because he certainly isn't going to do it with his tactics.

He will get the job I'm sure but I don't see him being a success.

I think Ireland need/needed a young, fresh coach with new ideas and something to prove who will work with what he has got to improve them as players rather than simply pump them up and send them out to fire crosses into the box and run around a lot.

Was reported earlier today that it was more or less a done deal as mon was the only choice should put pen to a 1 year rolling contract next week then walk out just before a major tournament

but we are used to people doing that over the years :(

I can't really see how MON is an improvement on Trappatoni to be fair. He's a bit of a yesterday's man with regards to tactics and he will pick his favourite XI regardless of form - criticisms that were put at Trap's door from time to time.

Well at least he can't bankrupt the Republic of Ireland with expensive transfer fees and huge wages for mediocre players.

He'll be gutted when he's told he can't actually sign anyone. However he'll be delighted to have finally landed Aiden McGeady though, in one way or another.

I can't really see how MON is an improvement on Trappatoni to be fair. He's a bit of a yesterday's man with regards to tactics and he will pick his favourite XI regardless of form - criticisms that were put at Trap's door from time to time.

Well at least he can't bankrupt the Republic of Ireland with expensive transfer fees and huge wages for mediocre players.

He'll be gutted when he's told he can't actually sign anyone. However he'll be delighted to have finally landed Aiden McGeady though, in one way or another.

I can see him being a big improvement. Apart from the fact he can speak the language, he's a good motivator of players and I think he will be a better international manager than club manager. Like Jack Charlton.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also happy enough for King to be in charge for the next 2 games. Normally I like the idea of the U21 manager stepping up, even temporarily. The fact he's doing it at a time when we're crying out for the younger players to be used properly only makes it even better.

Â