The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Interestingly, we've only lost one more game than Arsenal this season so it appears the the stereotype of McLeish teams being hard to beat and harder to watch is true. The key issue is that we're simply not going forward and attacking enough. If McLeish either let the players off the leash and attack, or figured out a way to squeeze one or two more goals out of the current set up (set pieces?), we'd be fine.

During the first half today, I saw a team completly out play the oppostion despite being away from home and could and should have been c 3 goals to the good.

as for the managers negative tactics..... simply could not see it.

seconds half seen an opposition team full in our faces probably inspired from their manager telling them that we were still only one goal up and if you get in their faces and close the space down, you will get something.

We ain't got the quality or belief to see a win out.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interestingly, we've only lost one more game than Arsenal this season so it appears the the stereotype of McLeish teams being hard to beat and harder to watch is true. The key issue is that we're simply not going forward and attacking enough. If McLeish either let the players off the leash and attack, or figured out a way to squeeze one or two more goals out of the current set up (set pieces?), we'd be fine.
Seems to be that way. Last season Wolves stayed up despite losing far more than SHA. Why? Because they also won more.

It's just a coincidence that we are set up in a similar way to McLeish's previous side and play negative football in a very similar way then.

so we were winning games right ,left and centre before he arrived ?

no we werent really, but that again was due to a poor manager unable to utilise players correctly.

the league is split into 3. at either end of the table there is a top 6 or 7, and then a bottom 5. in between there is the middle pack which we are part of. i dont think anybody is expecting to be in or around the top 6 with the players we have.

but noone is going to convince me that we have a poorer squad than teams like Stoke, Sunderland, WBA, Norwich, Swansea; and that to be right at the bottom of this middle pack is the best we can hope for.

a decent manager would have us playing better football and higher up the table

To be fair the reserve leagues are a bit of a joke. Anyone can play for a reserve team, experienced pro's to 15/16 year olds. Its no where near as competitive of the Prem, Championship, league 1, etc.

your right, i do appreciate that but the actual winning mentality is still required no matter how poor the league

the tactics, the formation, the selections, they are still required and needed to go along with the winning mentality, the reserves have that mentality and they have the confidence in the people giving the orders and using the tactics and squad available

so there are people at our club with the winning mentality, it is just that they are 0 to do with the bumbling jock who has been forced onto us.

hence they are still winning

They have the ability to produce a winning team, but that is not what is required.....its a winning individual, that is required to fit in to a first team.

THE TEAM IS THE FIRST TEAM.

It's just a coincidence that we are set up in a similar way to McLeish's previous side and play negative football in a very similar way then.

no we werent really, but that again was due to a poor manager unable to utilise players correctly.

the league is split into 3. at either end of the table there is a top 6 or 7, and then a bottom 5. in between there is the middle pack which we are part of. i dont think anybody is expecting to be in or around the top 6 with the players we have.

but noone is going to convince me that we have a poorer squad than teams like Stoke, Sunderland, WBA, Norwich, Swansea; and that to be right at the bottom of this middle pack is the best we can hope for.

Thing is even last season we were winning more games than this. By early March we'd won 3 league games in 2011 last year. Yeah it isn't much but it sure beats McLeish's pathetic 1.

Andy, I think you make a good point and largely am with you.

I think some of our players are much better than the teams you mention and some are not.

Mcleish has not had a proper opportunity to make his mark.

O'Neill had 4 years

I am not sure about Mcleish, maybe his employers are, but at present they are someone elses players, by and large...and I'm not saying that is licence to abscond from responsibility either.

I never wanted Mcleish, but that will not stop me defending fair play.

Just got back from the game.

I agree with most of the points made.

It seems to me that McLeish can't get the balance right between defence and attack. We are either one or the other.

I don't know what he said at HT, but it was like the lifeblood had been drained out of each and every one of the players.

Instead of taking our dominance and momentum into the second half, we got pushed back, getting deeper and deeper until the inevitable happened and Blackburn equalised.

It can't be just a coincidence that we are playing so negatively. Talk to any Blues fan and they will tell you that under McLeish they played exactly the same way that we do.

We were convinced that at Villa he would have better players to work with, hence rubbishing the whole negative tag he earnt at SHA. Yet in a lot of ways we are playing worse than they did. The stats are almost a mirror image of their results from last season.

People bang on about losing Young and Downing. He purchased N'Zogbia and had the option of an in-form Stephen Ireland to give us attacking options, yet he benches both of them.

No win at home for 4 months, 6 wins in 27 games.

It has to be the manager, surely?

I blame McLeish wholeheartedly for this. Our tactics, motivation and style of play are all down to the manager. If he were to be sacked now I can't see how performances and results wouldn't improve.

It's amazing how we are playing just like Birmingham did last season but McLeish has so much more talent at his disposal here.

There are rumours on Twitter that he's left by mutual consent. I'm reaching for the salt.

I shivered in delight when I read this post but no doubt it is more internet nonsense. I fear we are stuck with him unless he resigns.

Don't get too excited anyone can start a rumour!
Let's just imagine it is true for a moment though. The atmosphere for the Fulham game would be absolutely fantastic. Kevin MacDonald's Claret and Blue Army :thumb:

Look, you may all be right, he may be a load of dog poo, but hold on a mo

You don't beat Arsenal in the Cup final playing negatively.

We were confronted with a different Blackburn attitude in the second half....thats down to the players.

The bloke is fxxxed if he does and fxxxed if he don't.

I think our results are shit and am upset, but a point away from a team fighting for its life. I agree the fact we led for most of the game is disappointing.... but drawing at home is far more gauling.

just trying to put being pissed off in to perspective.

dropping points at home is the time to feel rightfully aggreived.

Â