The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Alex Mcleish is just a living nightmare. I go off my food when I hear/see the bloke. He makes me physically ill. Listening to his dross before/after games is embarrassing.

I know its been 6 months give or take....

But is this whole alex mcleish thing a joke?

Even now I'm in shock as to how this has happened. I remember when the odds dropped dramatically on him becoming the next Villa manager I wasn't in the least bit worried he'd get the job because of how crazy it would be. I just couldn't believe it right up until it was announced.

Didn't quite a few people here lose a good bit of money laying him?

Probably his wife.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest issue is this bullshit interview phase which again smacks of lack of football knowledge. If you want a manager, you do your homework first and you go get him. You interview if you dont have the football knowledge to understand WHY you want the manager.

This is one of my all time favourite quotes...

Whether they choose to approach other clubs formally or not or release it to the press or not no chairman/owner is going to offer a multi million pound contract to a manager without sitting down and talking to the guy first. And to be fair unless it's Barca or utd on the phone the majority of managers would not even consider taking a job without first discussing the ambition/direction/workig practices of a club and board.

It's more than acceptable to draw up a shortlist of candidates and hold discussions or interviews with them, perhaps what we did wrong was play by the rules too much instead of tapping people up. But lets be honest even if Lerner starting acting like he owned one of the big clubs it wouldn't mean it would work like we were one of the big clubs.

??????????????

I want Mark Hughes to manage Villa, I meet Mark Hughes and if we can see a mutual interest and agree terms I offer him the job.

I dont draw up a **** short list and line them up in the sodding waiting room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So to sum up :

N'Zogbia (Starting to look OK but still far from good enough)

Hutton (Awful player)

Jenas (Loan which turned out really awful)

Keane (Loan - £500k wasted imo)

Stevens (Unproven)

Given (Good but we know about his injury record)

And people wonder why we don't want him to shape his own team.

??????????????

I want Mark Hughes to manage Villa, I meet Mark Hughes and if we can see a mutual interest and agree terms I offer him the job.

I dont draw up a **** short list and line them up in the sodding waiting room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you know that the meeting with Mark Hughes didn't take place prior to the short-list being drawn up?

??????????????

do you know that the meeting with Mark Hughes didn't take place prior to the short-list being drawn up?

Mmmmmmm, no I dont, but then I was using Mark Hughes as an example, not stating a managerial fact.

I was saying that once you have identified the man you want, you then meet to finalise the proceedings. You dont arrange interviews in my opinion.

We seem to have a few McLeish "supporters" floating around the forum. I'd be very interested to read a full defence of the man. His tactical qualities, his motivational qualities, what he might offer in the transfer market and what his long term goals might be.

I won't mock, I'm genuinely interested as I'm failing to see any positives in the man at all.

Discussing him on talksport and were saying there isn't much more he could be doing at the club, as he is blooding young players etc. I wonder if they watch us play sometimes.

On another note they were wondering how Kean kept his job (before Manure game) as he'd only won two home games all season. Got me thinking, we've only won three.

I think it's just a case of people not watching us play, or only watching us on MOTD. Anybody that watches us play instantly recognises what's wrong. Even then though, McLeish's 25% win ratio is ridiculously crap.

boycotts have been talked about for years, almost with every manager weve had, itll never happen, ever

try telling 40k people not to go to a game that theyve paid for (i dont know the number of ST sales just to add) just isnt going to happen

talk like this never happens at other clubs, and no doubt whoever the next manager is, someone will pop up and say 'lets boycott villa park', well what exactly is it going to achieve? nothing, the board have the manager they want

im not a AMc fan, im not happy that he was signed and i dont like anything he does, whether it be buying players, selling players, or working with the players he has, hes useless, but unfortunately, hes here and he isnt going anywhere

I still can't get over the Swansea game. It's not McLeish's fault the players made individual errors but....

How can you have attacking players like Bent, N'Zogbia, Ireland, Gabby and only have 1 shot on target at home. Instead of bringing on more attacking players, he takes one attacker off and brings one attacker on. Not Petrov or Clark who are more defensive minded. He eventually brought on Bannan for Clark but what was the point with 5 mins to go?

We would never have won that game regardless if Warnock made a mistake or not. There was just no tactical plan to break Swansea's defence. Just hope for the best. We looked clueless and it's happened so many times that it's becoming unforgiveable at a club like ours.

Our home record has been poor for quite a while, but this season it's gone below another level. Instead of drawing alot, we're losing alot. Who's actually gonna fear coming here now? Nobody, and it's all down to this manager who has no attacking plan.

For the Liverpool game I was offered a total of 6 season tickets from people who couldn't be bothered to make the effort to go. When I asked my 14 year old son if he fancied going down for the first time this season (we didn't renew this season because of AMc) he said no chance it's crap.

My son loves the Villa and loves football. He stopped me from buying two season tickets after 7 years. He calculated that if we payed BCFC £2 million for AMc and we sold 20000 season tickets - that's £100 to BCFC per season ticket holder.

The bond has been broken.

thetrees wrote:

macandally wrote:

??????????????

Mmmmmmm, no I dont, but then I was using Mark Hughes as an example, not stating a managerial fact.

I was saying that once you have identified the man you want, you then meet to finalise the proceedings. You dont arrange interviews in my opinion.

You say potato I say...well you get it.

To me that meeting to finalise the details or proceedings would be a bit like an interview.

Also what then happens if you cant finalise proceedings with your one man, say Hughes for example, if he wasn't prepared to sell Young and Downing and only have £10m to spend in the transfer window? Do you not suggest it's prudent to have some alternatives, I dont know say a short list of people you might like to offer the job to?

Imagine if we did as you suggest went all out for Hughes, got turned down and then ended up with no manager, there'd be people on here criticising his lack of business sense in not making contingency plans.

I still can't get over the Swansea game. It's not McLeish's fault the players made individual errors but....

How can you have attacking players like Bent, N'Zogbia, Ireland, Gabby and only have 1 shot on target at home. Instead of bringing on more attacking players, he takes one attacker off and brings one attacker on. Not Petrov or Clark who are more defensive minded. He eventually brought on Bannan for Clark but what was the point with 5 mins to go?

We would never have won that game regardless if Warnock made a mistake or not. There was just no tactical plan to break Swansea's defence. Just hope for the best. We looked clueless and it's happened so many times that it's becoming unforgiveable at a club like ours.

I was at the Swansea game and I agree with the above - we were shit.

Not defending AMC but im sure that if we played that game again we would be a lot fresher, be able to press higher, causing them to make mistakes and therefore winning the game.

The Chelsea game was a huge effort from the players. It was Irelands first full 90 minutes in years, Pretov went off injured and had a great game IMO. To be fair, the whole side played well. 2 games in 48 hrs in tough - I dont care if people say that get paid x amount so they should be able to .... its hard ....

On top of all this we played a side that made 7 changes. Our squad is apparantly too thin to do this, but have Swansea really got that much depth?

What Swansea do have is that the fans have full faith in manager. If his changes back fired then no one would care.

AMC on the other hand is under pressure.

Imgaine if he dropped Ireland for Bannan, Clarke for Delph, Cueller (who picked up an injury through fatigue) for Hutton? Fonz for Gabby.... and then lost the game.... he'd of had the abuse of changing a winning team etc.

What ended up happening is that he kept the same time (minus the Bent) change), everyone was happy on here at the team selection in the match thread, and he lost. He then gets douches like me moaning he didnt change it.

What goes against McCleish as the post above points out is that there was no tactics really. You know how Swansea will play, passing it out from the back - but we remained very deep. Was the match preparation up to scratch? I dont think there was any. Lack of time? If I were manager of Villa atm I would have put full focus to the Swansea game if short on time over Xmas....

I'll boycott with you. I am 37 (my regular attendance goes back to Graham Turner days) and this season has been a total rip off for my money in terms of my season ticket purchase. That free pie I nearly choked on against Liverplop.

Anyhow, I had a 'dizzy spell' on 83 minutes against Swansea such was my anger and rage at what I was watching. No fight, no passion, silly subs, silly starting line up (some say) etc. Going to the Villa has gotten me so wound up, making me miserable and feeling as though I am not getting value for money/entertainment, that it is starting to impact on my health and welfare. That in turn has the potential to impact on my family. One of my friends is concerned about depression...

As such, I am away now for the rest of the season and do not expect to be returning. I know that I need to take a chill pill and not take it so seriously... but football gets you, and grabs hold of you and makes you hold on too tight. I'm at the stage where I can't just sit there and watch that week in week out and seeing zero progress. It takes up too much of my hard earned free time that I should really spend with my lovely family.

This isn't the beautiful game any more - it's all lies, overpaid fancy dans, false dawns, false hope, shit refs etc etc. And then there was MON's debacle... and then Gerard's pointless era... and then Eck... I said last summer that I thought it inhumane to appoint somebody that would not benefit from a honeymoon period (I guess the early fixtures were a tad kind to him) and who would be under so much pressure had they lost to Blackburn as the first home match. And so it is panning out. And I really wanted him to do well and prove me wrong. I don't give a toss about his SHA connections.

When it gets you so bad that you feel yourself wanting to lash out and you feel as though you are turning into a thug, outbursting profanity, the like of which you never considered yourself previously capable and making yourself look a fool, and then getting so wound up you think you're going to collapse - it's time to walk away. Time to leave it alone and put your money elsewhere. That's what I'm doing.

Sorry - I can spend 400+ quid on something that is guarenteed to bring enjoyment and last many years. I see all those players (not just at Villa) getting paid all that money to prance around the pitch like billy-big-balls on the pretence that they are professionals. Do you really believe that you get value for money from them? Do you really think footballers deserve all that doe? No... they really don't. When you've got firemen and little kids rattling buckets and begging me for a donation outside the ground - that's perspective for you.

Fickle? Half-arsed supporter? I'll take that on the chin... But I tell you this, my health means more to me and my family than it does to Eck and Lerner.

I'm better off health-wise and financially without the misery of VP 2011-12. Why put myself through it? If you don't enjoy it, and it makes you feel ill - it's time to stop.

I don't mind losing... this isn't about losing football matches. I almost enjoyed the Arsenal game. It's the nature of the defeat, the clueless and powerless performances on the pitch. That rankles - and straight back into the debate about whether you think footballers per se in the Premiership are really worth those wages. If I performed as badly in my job, I'd be down the road. Simple as that.

The club won't miss me, I know that... but I see a brighter future for me and my family than I do for the people that are hell bent on watching that clunge week in and week out for the remainder of the season, or however long the tenure lasts.

(tin hat on... retreat from the firework... fists up...)

:notworthy:

Â