The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

What's up with the fickle fans on here? Fans were getting over excited with the Chelsea win and made a thread about calling a truce towards McLeish now suddenly some have turned again. DOL was right. I know football fans are fickle in general, but Villa fans take it to another level.

Because they aren't the same people, maybe? 'Fans' means lots of individuals, it's not one being

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every club appoints shit managers. Its the single most important decision a club makes, and most clubs get it wrong most of the time. You're usually a terrible chairman, then you come upon a manager who gets results and all of a sudden you're the chairman everybody wants (after that sheikh). I call it the Levy syndrome.
I'm not vehemently against Randy, but the appointment of McLeish was perhaps the worst appointment of a manager at any club in Premier League history. It's not like he appointed an unknown or somebody with a mixed record. McLeish is a proven failure. Appointing a manager that is a proven failure and has just been relegated with your arch rivals while playing some of the worst football ever seen is just unbelievable.

The sad thing is, we could all see this coming the moment he was appointed.

Seeem to forget that he also won the Carling cup, and brought up a pretty dodgy Blues side, finnishing 9th or so the season before. Also got Rangers through to a uefa cup semis,....

and so on.

Failure seems to be a question of definition, and what some would consider a failure, others would consider a success. Mixed record seems to be the most appropriate term we could agree on here.

McLeish faced an uphill struggle from the very start. He was never going to win over the fans, but results could have saved him. Those results haven't come, and now he seems to be losing the confidence of the players too (if he ever had it to start with). I truely think he days are numbered now, Randy will be forced to take the hit sooner or later. I can see the protests starting to grow if we don't pick up points in the next run of games, and it'll be like when he was first appointed - only this time with facts to back up their protests.

No I don't Woody but then I don't think he thought he was the right man either, I think he 'picked' him out of panic and desperation, he picked him because he was an easy option and he thought a cheap or free one.

It was a bad decision made for bad reasons and no good was ever going to come from it.

I dont think he was an easy option at all Trent (when you consider where he came from and the inevitable fan unrest).

I do however feel that it maybe was the 'only' option (in randy's Eyes baring in mind his reluctance to not have prem experience and of course the need for the person to actually want the job).

I also believe that it is still too early to decide whether any good will come from it, however I am fully in the 'far from impressed camp' atm. I actually thought he would do a very steady job and wed be comfortably in about 8th. I also didnt envisgae the football would be so dire.

Seeem to forget that he also won the Carling cup, and brought up a pretty dodgy Blues side, finnishing 9th or so the season before. Also got Rangers through to a uefa cup semis,....

and so on.

Failure seems to be a question of definition, and what some would consider a failure, others would consider a success. Mixed record seems to be the most appropriate term we could agree on here.

No, he's a failure. He took SHA down twice, the latter being from a position of perceived safety, much like where we are at the moment actually.

He also finished 3rd with Rangers.

What tops it off is the football he plays and how tactically inept he is.

and so on.

Are you gonna mention his Championship promotion too?

McLeish faced an uphill struggle from the very start. He was never going to win over the fans, but results could have saved him. Those results haven't come, and now he seems to be losing the confidence of the players too (if he ever had it to start with). I truely think he days are numbered now, Randy will be forced to take the hit sooner or later. I can see the protests starting to grow if we don't pick up points in the next run of games, and it'll be like when he was first appointed - only this time with facts to back up their protests.

Of course, we must pick up points, but it's curious that a run of games that yielded the 4 points that most supporters expected has seen this forum go into meltdown.

in what way does he seem to be losing the confidence of the players?

So you think all the players are happy playing in that team? Body language would suggest otherwise. And you don't have rumours of players wanting to leave (even if they are just rumours) without something being wrong.

No player is going to come out and say it - but I bet there's a fair few in that dressing room who wouldn't be heartbroken if McLeish was to go..

Except the person who made the appointment.

He has made two astonishing choices really. Firstly Houllier a guy who hadn't managed for 3 years, hadn't managed in the Premiership for several years, was out of touch and a known cheque book manager when we were looking to cut back on spending. It was no surprise then that we found ourselves in deep shit sitting in or around the relegation mire for 5 months and he had to spend the best part of 30 mill to get us out of the shit he'd got us in to.

Now with Mcleish a manager who had two recent relegations on his record known for playing negative unattractive football. It is again therefore no surprise that we find ourselves struggling, playing unattractive football and attendances quickly dwindling.

It is hard to believe really that anyone could be so incompetent to not see where we would be heading by making the managerial appointments they have. Lerner and Faulkner it is very clear to see know **** all about football but given it is Lerner that appointed Faulkner he is ultimately responsible for the shit we find ourselves in.

I'm all for sacking McLeish but don't expect his replacement to be much better if its Lerner and Faulkner choosing him.

Of course, we must pick up points, but it's curious that a run of games that yielded the 4 points that most supporters expected has seen this forum go into meltdown.

It's the performances. Since the Norwich game (which was a rare good performance) we've had about 3 performances that haven't been poor. Since that game however we've also had no less than 4 performances which have been absolutely dire and are up there with the worst (Spurs, Man U, Liverpool, Swansea). There were some very poor performances last season but I don't remember them being so damn frequent.

and so on.

Are you gonna mention his Championship promotion too?

I did in the first sentence if you care to re-read.

The second time of going down was the complete deflation of a team who had just beaten a CL side in the Carling Cup final, an 0wner being investigated for irregularities on the HKSE, and so forth... Reminicent of Portsmouth a couple of years back I suppose....

In the case of the Spurs game too, it wasn't just the performance, but that we'd given up and were settling for a 0-0 draw before the game even started.

Changing our entire system to battle one player.

Salt into wound, that player got 2 assists.

Yep, well done McLeish.

Except the person who made the appointment.

He has made two astonishing choices really. Firstly Houllier a guy who hadn't managed for 3 years, hadn't managed in the Premiership for several years, was out of touch and a known cheque book manager when we were looking to cut back on spending. It was no surprise then that we found ourselves in deep shit sitting in or around the relegation mire for 5 months and he had to spend the best part of 30 mill to get us out of the shit he'd got us in to.

Now with Mcleish a manager who had two recent relegations on his record known for playing negative unattractive football. It is again therefore no surprise that we find ourselves struggling, playing unattractive football and attendances quickly dwindling.

It is hard to believe really that anyone could be so incompetent to not see where we would be heading by making the managerial appointments they have. Lerner and Faulkner it is very clear to see know **** all about football but given it is Lerner that appointed Faulkner he is ultimately responsible for the shit we find ourselves in.

I'm all for sacking McLeish but don't expect his replacement to be much better if its Lerner and Faulkner choosing him.

At least Houllier made better sense. Long term wise. And he did have worthwhile achievements without any major negatives.

Not many of us would have predicted he would be pretty bad at this club. But McLeish? You just knew he was gonna be terrible.

Not sure why us losing 5k of the attendances necssarily translates to players coming in. It has nothing to do with it. With Sky money we could quite happily carry on in exactly the same way witha lot fewer finding their way through the turnstiles. We're their for atmosphere for Sky viewers and those in the nice seats. As it is we are stuck with McLeish and I think the reason our voices of dissent haven't been more vocal is because we know it. We aren't the most militabnt of fans but we do turn on managers quite quickly if its not going well. Relatively speaking I think McLeish ahs had a fairly easy ride of it consideringwhat he could have got.

I would get rid but who is there right now ready to come in? benitez and Hughes would cost too much money and would want a war-chest to get going. And then that leaves whom? I still stick my pin on Lambert and Norwich as I think he'll br a great manager but he won't leave Norwich mid-season. So, we'll have to suck it up until the summer, hope it doesn't get any more turgid and that we nick enough wins to keep us all from desperation and despair. And hope Randy does the right thing in the summer.

And Paul Faulkner can fck-off now.

Â