The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

After the win against Chelsea, I was full of such optimism today, and now the game's over I'm so **** furious. And it's with both McLeish and the players.

McLeish

I had no problem with McLeish's selection. In fact, even before I heard the team I was telling my Dad that he should bring Bent in and drop Albrighton to the bench, and he went with the formation that I would have played too.

But by half time it was clear that things were not working. Swansea are not Barcelona: yes they play nice football, and I applaude the way they try and approach games, but once the start passing the ball up the pitch they are going to lose it, which they did on a couple of occasions. We should have just continued to hassle players, stick to the men and not worry too much about the ball being with Swansea because we would get it back before to long.

Instead we lost all shape in our midfield and gave them, particularly Britton, way too much space. I don't even know what role Clark was playing but he was anonymous first half. McLeish should have replaced him with Bannan at half time so that we'd end up wasting the ball much less. Bringing Bannan on with five minutes left was a **** joke.

Personally I thought Ireland did ok. Not as good as against Chelsea, but he was the only player who actually looked like he wanted the ball, and could maybe create some chances for us. So to take him off and go 4-4-2 was pathetic. Bent was already out of the game, so by putting Gabby up front too, it meant that two of our players were absolutely isolated. Neither did anything in that second half, because we had no possession in the middle of the park to feed them.

I don't blame his choice of players, or for the first half. But the changes (and lack of changes) that he made in the second half were atrocious. Terrible management.

Players

Bad performance overall from the majority. Terrible first half from Warnock but I was glad to see he was more composed in the second.

The only player who came out of that with any shred of dignity was Stephen Ireland. No one else looked like they gave a shit about getting the ball. Swansea's movement was so frequent and fluid that they always had a pass on. If Ireland hadn't have been playing, we would have been a team of statues.

Whether they thought it would be easy after the Chelsea win, or they were tired, either way it was just a shit performance with no passion or desire. Pathetic to see.

---

So disheartened by the whole match. I'd honestly been given some sort of hope after Chelsea that McLeish could be a decent manager. How **** wrong I was.

We need someone in who knows how to make a **** change when the problems we face are so glaringly obvious. How he felt that after the first 45 mins things were going well is beyond me. We desperately needed a change and he **** failed.

Disgraceful.

Sums up my feelings, three good performances followed by that tripe, and now I'm depressed. I really thought we might have turned the corner, but that was three steps back. No desire or passion from the manager or players.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Houllier tried that and half the fans were in uproar which is disappointing to say the least.

F**k Houllier......... i dont care what he planned, he was shit, allienated 95% of our fans and was no good for us at all.

AM biggest mistake was to drop Allrighton (change a winning team), he showed more in 20 minutes than all the others did in 90, bringing Ireland off was a mistake as well, he worked his bollox off while he was on the pitch. Hutton, to my surprise did well.

Warnock was owned! (best thing he did was hand ball it off the line)

Swansea looked like Brazil today, well played

We were, AT HOME ffs. The fight was there, the tatics were not. Long season ahead lads...........

After the win against Chelsea, I was full of such optimism today, and now the game's over I'm so **** furious. And it's]

with both McLeish and the players.

What about the man ultimately responsible for the mess we are in ? Lerner?

Not that I want to take anything away from the way Swansea approach games, but I genuinely believe that we made them look like Brazil. We looked hopeless chasing them down, and we gave the ball back to them way to easy.

If we'd been playing Barcelona today, we would have been absolutely destroyed. Luckily Swansea aren't as good as that.

However it takes time, and whether Houllier was the right man or not, it didn't work last season and immediately people wanted Houllier out and were frustrated by 'tippy-tappy football' which was mentioned a lot on here. The same is now being said by Fulham fans who like us want to be sitting comfortably in the top half, and Chelsea aren't happy that they're 5th. I bet Arsenal back in the day were bemused when Wenger game as they were pretty much a team of cloggers.

I believe we would be patient, I do believe most fans understand the need for a different approach. Unfortunately our shit owner hasn't managed to hire someone capable of showing the fans there is hope and they could build something.

Like I said houllier could talk the talk but ultimately he had too many flaws to actually achieve something and now we've been left with a man who shows absolutely no sign of being able to build anything decent here.

With a lack of funds available now the whole club needs a new approach unfortunately the hiring of Mcleish IMO shows our owner is more than happy to just be a nothing team as long as he gets his sky cheques every season.

The whole club needs a new attitude and a new approach and I have lost complete faith in the manager and owner.

After the win against Chelsea, I was full of such optimism today, and now the game's over I'm so **** furious. And it's]

Irrelevant over this one game. Suggesting Lerner is at fault for our defeat to Swansea also suggests he was successful in our win at Chelsea.

We could have won this game regardless of who our owner is. But our manager and players did not perform up to scratch.

AM biggest mistake was to drop Allrighton (change a winning team), ...

That is pretty well the key point i.m.o. Villa's improvement has started since Albrighton came into the team and since Bent got injured and was out!! Is that a coincidence? Albrighton may not be a great player but he does offer the team some balance as I see it.

Keeping a side together if they start to click is a key tactic is it not?

Good sporting statement that. It's good to read it.

We were, AT HOME ffs. The fight was there, the tatics were not. Long season ahead lads...........

Another key statement. Four defeats at home in succession is not good enough.

Not that I want to take anything away from the way Swansea approach games, but I genuinely believe that we made them look like Brazil. We looked hopeless chasing them down, and we gave the ball back to them way to easy.

If we'd been playing Barcelona today, we would have been absolutely destroyed. Luckily Swansea aren't as good as that.

Maybe, im a Villa fan, Swansea had players on that pitch that shouldn't be anywhere near us....they outplayed us, even Routledge looked deadly. Something aint right at Villa park, aint been right for probably 2 seasons now.

We need someone who can pick a manager who's gonna give us hope, MON was good for a top 6 finish, GH had lost his mind, AM appears to be struggling, IMO You dont change a winning team!

Whos at fault? IMO........the owner for not picking a CEO who knows about football, get GT in, Big Ron....anyone who knows how to pick a manager or even knows about football.

Its no good letting people like SALF pick our manager, thats the CEO job IMO........ps im a bit excited tonight, sorry but 0-2 at home against last years promoted team shows me how bad a position were in!

Irrelevant over this one game. Suggesting Lerner is at fault for our defeat to Swansea also suggests he was successful in our win at Chelsea.

We could have won this game regardless of who our owner is. But our manager and players did not perform up to scratch.

Selling our best players has been a massive cause in our form as has appointing two managers who have been terribly wrong for different reasons, it is no wonder the whole team from top to bottom is unsettled and unable to be consistent.

Of course our chances to succeed would be higher with a manager in place who could see things before they happen, make changes and influence the team to play better football, not stand off men, make the most of the ball and so on.

Every action by Lerner has had a negative reaction on the pitch.

It still baffles me how the board how can go from looking at Martinez to McLeish.. it really wasn't a footballing decision that's for sure.

It really is quite simple and you are right it was not a footballing decision.

The board wanted someone who would be a yes man and not question the board. They thought Martinez might be that man. Everyone can say Martinez stayed with Wigan out of loyalty. Bullshit. Martinez knew he would be hung out to dry and would have to implement wage cuts.

Once Martinez said no, they looked across to our rivals, recently relegated and a manager who almost certainly would jump given his position, and of course he'd do anything the board ask.

In all honesty nobody can blame McLeish for moving and accepting the job: good salary, secure contract, back in the PL and managing a big team, but he surely knows this would never end well.

There is only man to blame and thats the coward hiding away in the grand old US of A.

Martinez

McLaren

McLeish

what a managerial search.....

And Curbishley was interviewed the year before too. If I were in charge they would not get that far, a polite thank you but no thank you and continue with the search.

Lerner out.

McLeish out.

Just listened to the post match interview, the t**t makes my blood boil. He is completely, obliviously in denial about his own inadequacies and the fact that our performance/results are a reflection of his managership. When asked about booing he states that the same would happen at any club who experienced a similar result. WHY can't he acknowledge the boos are us fans venting our disapproval of him? The prat just seems to have his head deeply buried in the sand and the danger is if he does not look up it may be too late for us!! I find his dismissive attitude insulting. He needs to take a look at himself and maybe, just maybe, he may see what the majority down VP are forced to look at!! :evil:

You are insulted by he fact that, while acknowledging that the 'fans' booed, McLeish didn't observe that the boos were exclusively for him, if indeed they were? :shock:

Tony Morley said after the game that too many supporters are wishing for McLeish to fail.

Perhaps he is right.

The board's decision only to target manager's with Premier LEague experience was ridiculous.

If only they had widened the net and looked for someone with real talent. It is very rare that you will find a top manager with Premier League experience who is available, hence our list of targets was so poor.

I'd rather we'd have gone for an up and coming boss from the lower leagues if we have to make do with being in transition for the foreseeable future.

it is ultimately down to lerner, unfortunately he decided to have the ginger prince aka fukner to do everything day to day and i believe also including appointing the manager

i also believe that it is no coincidence we have far east sponsors and there was a program about dodgy dealings and gambling in the far east with fergie, guess who else was mentioned? one stupid ginger clunge anal mcgash.

oh and what was one of the reasons given for us appointing the worst manager we have had to suffer since billy mcneil? why a recomendation from fergie.

what a suprise.

there were no footballing reasons for this appointment and pretty much EVERYTHING against it even being suggested

in fact the only logical reason he was appointed is if alot of money changed hands and i dont mean through paying the scum off.

It still baffles me how the board how can go from looking at Martinez to McLeish.. it really wasn't a footballing decision that's for sure.

It really is quite simple and you are right it was not a footballing decision.

I agree with both statements, who can make a football decision in a club which has no knowledge of the game? (one who's in charge)

I cannot for the life of me believe Lerner has made the same mistake with the Villa with the one he made at the Browns, we need a figure head who has football knowledge and respect within the game........sort it out Randy.

It's not just this game.

Our approach to games in general is terrible and I can't see any evidence to suggest Mcleish can build a winning team.

It's made worse to see how well Swansea outplayed us and how positive their approach to the game was today.

The last time that we were that comprehensively outplayed at VP was by Wigan on the opening day of the season a couple of years ago. The comparisons with both our and the opposition's performance on both games are frighteningly similar.

This manager has not had anywhere near the opportunities of the incumbent on that occasion, so he must at least be given some time.

Â