The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Why is it that whenever Petrovs name is mentioned the stats start coming out??. Watch the Man City goals again, one of the goals Petrov lost the ball in the centre and then did absolutley fook all to win the ball back and the next thing you know Man City have breezed past him and gone down the other end and scored. The best one was the goal from the corner though. Watch Petrov...he actually turns his back on goal as the corner is taken and starts to walk towards the opposition goal. THEN when the ball goes in the net he turns around and throws his arms up into the air!! Wasnt picking ANYBODY up and wasnt even looking at the ball!! Hes useless. How people cant see this amazes me.

But Stan is a true pro and a very nice bloke and Delphs just a kid from Leeds. I guess its just easier to make Delph the scapegoat

I have this vision of you sitting watching every match with a big notebook, triumphantly noting down every little slip that Petrov makes so you can recount them on Villlatalk later.

I didn't know there was a rule that, if a midfielder makes an error, the defense are let off their defending duties. But now I see how Petrov is always the guilty man... :)

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Big Eck is going to drop players who neglect their defensive duties at corners.

We'll see.. personally I don't buy it.

Maybe it's just the warning that the squad need but I highly doubt he'd drop some key players considering the squad status and how small it has become.

Ha ha, the notebook reserved for Makoun's errors wouldn't have much in it, as he ain't actually playing very much at present. :)

Thankfully as far as Villa are concerned I doubt very much the notebook will be needed ever again.

Why do you hate Makoun so much? This could apply to a lot of people. I would've thought the overriding feeling would've been apathy given how few appearances he made.

Ha ha, the notebook reserved for Makoun's errors wouldn't have much in it, as he ain't actually playing very much at present. :)

Thankfully as far as Villa are concerned I doubt very much the notebook will be needed ever again.

Why do you hate Makoun so much? This could apply to a lot of people. I would've thought the overriding feeling would've been apathy given how few appearances he made.

N'Zogbia, shit for 10 games.

Makoun shit for less.

Houllier signed Makoun.

I can kind of understand the N'Zogbia hate (but even then I don't think he's been given another time) but the Makoun hate is bizarre. He's probably one of the most hated players on here yet he's hardly played at all.

Why is it that whenever Petrovs name is mentioned the stats start coming out??. Watch the Man City goals again, one of the goals Petrov lost the ball in the centre and then did absolutley fook all to win the ball back and the next thing you know Man City have breezed past him and gone down the other end and scored. The best one was the goal from the corner though. Watch Petrov...he actually turns his back on goal as the corner is taken and starts to walk towards the opposition goal. THEN when the ball goes in the net he turns around and throws his arms up into the air!! Wasnt picking ANYBODY up and wasnt even looking at the ball!! Hes useless. How people cant see this amazes me.

But Stan is a true pro and a very nice bloke and Delphs just a kid from Leeds. I guess its just easier to make Delph the scapegoat

I have this vision of you sitting watching every match with a big notebook, triumphantly noting down every little slip that Petrov makes so you can recount them on Villlatalk later.

I didn't know there was a rule that, if a midfielder makes an error, the defense are let off their defending duties. But now I see how Petrov is always the guilty man... :)

Football is a very subjective game and people obviously have different perspectives. You see - well I'm not sure what you see in Stan's game - whereas Stu and I see a supposed DCM that lacks the energy to track runners and is all to easy to glide around for opposition attacking CM'ers.

Nobody hates anybody. It's just banter on a message board.

Lighten up, FFS. :)

What's even more bizarre is we (I say we, although "some" maybe a better word) are still waiting on "Ireland to come good" a year later like he came from the foreign league instead.

He may not have come from a foreign league but he has barely played any football for a few years. He is starting to put in some decent performances IMO yet some want him to fail because of their own personal vendetta against him, similar to some with Makoun.

Well BB I'll bow to your superior footballing knowledge.

Bit childish? No-one is claiming superior knowledge. I am just expressing my view on a discussion forum (thought that was the purpose) just as you are in your defence of McLeish.

The way I see it I've seen nothing form Beye to indicate he could the job at RB and the fact that Herd has been preferred to Beye would suggest those involved in the team selection agree. It would therefore follow that a Right Back was required if Luke Young was sold.

Not saying I am his biggest fan but I do think a Senegalese international is adequate cover as 3rd/4th choice (Lichaj/Cuellar/Herd/Beye) and could cover for a few games if we have injuries. I think we had a much more pressing requirement and glaring hole in our CM.

I dont see why you have it down as black and white as one or the other, how do you know the purchase of Hutton meant there was no funds for a defensive midfielder, how do you know the manager didn't try to sign one Lerner wouldn't sanction the wages? How do you know it wasn't a case of 'you can go and sign as many players as you want providing their individual wages dont total more than £30k a week?

You're assuming that any wages saved on not buying Hutton would have been made available for this extra midfielder.

I think it is a fair assumption to make that RL gave McLeish a budget and said you can spend it how you want. If the signing of Hutton did not prevent the signing of a DCM then McLeish is even more of an idiot for not sorting this gaping hole out. Are you really suggesting that RL said: "Here is £Xm to spend but you have to spend it on Alan Hutton (or a RB) and Jermaine Jenas and no way can you buy a DCM or that he gave him an unlimited budget but said that he could not buy a DCM."? I am really struggling to understand your point here.

Now I dont know the ins and outs of it either but then again I'm not making rediculous criticisms of a manager, who whilst I do not neccessarily agree with, has done very little wrong since taking over.

As far as I can tell you're criticising him for not being somebody else, and that's hardly his fault, if you wasnt to have a moan, then moan at the board who have set the financial contraints for player recruitment and have seemingly set their level of expectation in appointing a man like McLeish in the first place.

I am criticizing him because he appears to have used what limited transfer money/wage capacity we have on players that we could have done without when we have, IMO, a much more pressing priority in trying to find a strong DCM - that would provide the engine for the team. I don't dislike Hutton (although I am not a fan of Jenas) but it is about priorities.

I've noticed that certain people seem to want certain players to fail because of a certain manager that signed them. For example, a few people who were vehemently anti-Houllier want/wanted Makoun to fail and some people who are vehemently anti-McLeish want N'Zogbia and Hutton to fail and so on.

I couldn't give a shit who signed who. Makoun could have done better with time, and he got shipped out. I don't want N'Zogbia to fail, and I don't think he will. I didn't want Ireland to fail and he...so far...has. Anyone that wants previous managers' purchases to fail is not really the greatest stance to have.

I've noticed that certain people seem to want certain players to fail because of a certain manager that signed them. For example, a few people who were vehemently anti-Houllier want/wanted Makoun to fail and some people who are vehemently anti-McLeish want N'Zogbia and Hutton to fail and so on.

I can imagine what you mean but I think this is wrong. Some do not like Makoun - which you are suggesting is because they don't like Houllier - but are still big fans of Bent so I don't see how this works? I have seen people that don't rate Hutton and people who haven't enjoyed the Zog's performances to date but I don't believe that they want them to fail? I think McLeish is a terrible choice for our manager, for all sorts of reasons, but I hope both the Zog and Hutton turn out to be fantastic signings. I hope McLeish turns out to be a fantastic manager and wins us the CL - I just don't see any chance of either of those happening.

I'm not sure who you associate yourself with pal but as someone who travels home and away week in week out supporting this great club I am yet to come across a supporter who has wanted a player to fail because of who signed them. You will get certain supporters who don't like certain players and managers and its just for a simple reason - that in their opinion they just aren't good enough and that will be the case for 95% of our squad in that someone won't rate them.

The games all about opinions. One fans man of the match is another fans player that should never have started the game.

I can imagine what you mean but I think this is wrong. Some do not like Makoun - which you are suggesting is because they don't like Houllier - but are still big fans of Bent so I don't see how this works? I have seen people that don't rate Hutton and people who haven't enjoyed the Zog's performances to date but I don't believe that they want them to fail? I think McLeish is a terrible choice for our manager, for all sorts of reasons, but I hope both the Zog and Hutton turn out to be fantastic signings. I hope McLeish turns out to be a fantastic manager and wins us the CL - I just don't see any chance of either of those happening.

I don't think it's purely because of which manager signed them, but it does seem kind of weird how Makoun's biggest detractors seem to also be Houllier's biggest detracters and how a lot of Hutton and N'Zogbia's most outspoken critics are also McLeish's most outspoken critics.

Maybe people don't want players to fail, I don't know. It certainly seems that way however when certain people lace their posts with so much venom towards certain players who either haven't had a simple run of games or who have only been here a few months.

I can kind of understand the N'Zogbia hate (but even then I don't think he's been given another time) but the Makoun hate is bizarre. He's probably one of the most hated players on here yet he's hardly played at all.

Its not hate - that's such a childish term - for Makoun. For most fans N'zogbia and Ireland are given more breathing space becaiuse they have shown qualities of the highest level at previous clubs. makoun was sold to us by houllier as the type of holding midfielder that we needed who could also picka pass or two. We never saw that and so ran out of patience. It also didn't help top be fair, that he looked like a 15 year-old boy with the ehad of a 30 year-old man.

i think for Makoun as well is that he never get the pulses racing and isn't a headline grabbing type player. For Man City and newcastle/Wigan Ireland and N'Zogbia are. So, we're giving them time to get our pulses racing again. makoun was the wrong type of signing and for that type of player to come in they need to show they can be top drawer quality immediately. makoun didn't show it, I didn't think he was ever going to be able to do it, but he was just the wrong signing to make.

BB,

My polint is at present we'd have been relying on Herd and Beye to cover right back, and inmy opinion even with a DCM (bearing in mind they probably wouldn't be world class given the situation at the club) we'd still be looking ropey at the back with a lack of quality at right back.

You seem now to be bringing Jenas into the converstaion, well for a start we dont even know how much, if any, of his wages the club is picking up, and secondly that deal was done late in the window so it's possible, even probable that we were looking at somebody else and when that didn't come through we took Jenas as a second even third choice just to add some cover to an area the manager knew to be weak.

As for the Makoun argument as far as I can tell those that were very much pro-Houllier were proclaiming Makoun to be world class before he even kicked a ball for Villa, were claiming he would instantly be a much better signing than anything MoN could have dreamed up (mostly it seems because he was french and not british/had not played in britain) and I would argue that they almost set him up to fail. It's not so mich that people hate the player but are happy to point out to those who used the signing of him to proclaim that Houllier was everything that MoN was not that they got this one very much wrong.

Nobody wants to see a player the club have paid good money for fail, but I do fiond it ironic that the only signing Houllier made that paid off was pretty much a stereotypical MoN signing.

Â