Murdoch Scum

snowychap

Fingers crossed these revelations will get the abhorrent Fox News station in the US shut down.

I'm not sure I'd want that.

Is the world a better place for not having objectionable opinions in it?

Surely it's a better place because it has objectionable opinions countered, debunked and so on?

The problem is the amount of power wielded by those with objectionable opinions not that people hold them or express them (that they may/do act on them becomes a diferent kind of problem).

Fingers crossed these revelations will get the abhorrent Fox News station in the US shut down.

I'm not sure I'd want that.

Is the world a better place for not having objectionable opinions in it?

Surely it's a better place because it has objectionable opinions countered, debunked and so on?

The problem is the amount of power wielded by those with objectionable opinions not that people hold them or express them (that they may/do act on them becomes a diferent kind of problem).

I'm fine with objectionable views. Just express and debate them with reason.

The extreme presentation employed by Fox breeds hysteria and polarization in US society.

Fox News mirrors the same pattern of "tabloidinization" Murdoch took in the UK. Sex, scandal and essentially style over content of any real issues.

Take CNN, unfortunately it has changed beyond recognition since Fox took to the air. (Glossy banners/tickers and even glossier daytime female lipstick.)

All in an vain attempt to compete with the sensationalist views and style of Fox News.

The extreme presentation employed by Fox breeds hysteria and polarization in US society.

Fox News mirrors the same pattern of "tabloidinization" Murdoch took in the UK. Sex, scandal and essentially style over content of any real issues.

Take CNN, unfortunately it has changed beyond recognition since Fox took to the air. (Glossy banners/tickers and even glossier daytime female lipstick.)

All in an vain attempt to compete with the sensationalist views and style of Fox News.

Sure, the manner of presentation and the "tabloidinaization" (I'm irked that you got me to repeat that! :P) is an issue. Its main issue is when it spreads through a level of broadcast media (and beyond) such as it has.

I don't expect objectionable views to be expressed reasonably, though. Perhaps it ought to be more of a concern when they are.

Publicly dissecting the News International IT system, how entertaining!

Anyone see Newsnight?

The Beeb smell blood and it's open season for their chief tormentors.

Brilliant.

Sure, the manner of presentation and the "tabloidinaization" (I'm irked that you got me to repeat that! :P) is an issue. Its main issue is when it spreads through a level of broadcast media (and beyond) such as it has.

I don't expect objectionable views to be expressed reasonably, though. Perhaps it ought to be more of a concern when they are.

Apologies for the word invention ;-)

Surely a public debate conducted without reason becomes a farce: from there we may as well choose gladiators, or employ an army... My personal preference would be female mud-wrestling (apologies again if this offends.)

An impassioned opinion can be delivered with reason. When a public television network/media outlet chooses to invoke rage and anger and apply it to political issues for political gain. Isn't that just manipulation of the ill-informed?

Apologies for the word invention ;-)

I'll forgive it just this once. :P

Surely a public debate conducted without reason becomes a farce: from there we may as well choose gladiators, or employ an army... My personal preference would be female mud-wrestling (apologies again if this offends.)

Oh, very true. I'm not sure that allowing objectionable views to be aired (at whatever level) prevents the possibility of reasoned public debate, though. Reasoned debate can also use unreasoned, unreasonable, objectionable opinion to inform itself just as much as it can use staid mainstream opinion.

By automatically excluding the extreme and objectionable aren't we likely to exclude the radical?

An impassioned opinion can be delivered with reason. When a public television network/media outlet chooses to invoke rage and anger and apply it to political issues for political gain. Isn't that just manipulation of the ill-informed?

It can be but it doesn't have to be. No argument has to be delivered with reason though one would think that it ought to help its cause if it were put forward so.

That it doesn't is, probably, a deficiency of the audience. This doesn't excuse those putting forward their thoughts in such a way (indeed one could suggest that it is even more morally bankrupt that they do this because they see a clear opportunity and thus seek to exploit the power that may be obtained) but it may suggest a way out. It's an exit that seems rather obvious to me - education. Not the Blairite bollocks soundbite but real education - teaching people to think, to question and to decide for themselves.

On tonight's Panorama, I did chuckle at Chris Bryant's anecdote which went something like this (apologies if not verbatim):

I went to a party and bumped in to Rebekah Brooks who said, "It's after dark, Mr Bryant, shouldn't you be out on Clapham Common?"

Her then husband, Ross Kemp, turned to her and said, "Shut up, you homophobic bitch."

Edit: Sorry, it was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-4umoPXexw.

Â