Learning a language

maximus

German must be the easiest, there is so many similarities to English and I still remember shitloads from school. I'm thinking of going back to it. (Korean is too hard)!

How much did you pay for Rosetta Stone?

I think it is pretty good. I have the Swedish one.

You will need all the levels though if you want to get anywhere. By the end of it you can understand a lot and make simple sentences for yourself but learning a whole language is a lot of work.

To get fluent though I think you need to actually move to the country for a while.

I think it is pretty good. I have the Swedish one.

You will need all the levels though if you want to get anywhere. By the end of it you can understand a lot and make simple sentences for yourself but learning a whole language is a lot of work.

To get fluent though I think you need to actually move to the country for a while.

I'd be looking at the French one, I have a French girlfriend and try to speak / learn French with her but it's too easy to slip back into English all the time. I don't think I learn languages very well with 'normal' methods so Rosetta Stone appeals from that angle. I spent about 6 months living in France and still couldn't pick up that much, maybe I'm just a lost cause!

Think I'll give it a crack though.

Well my girlfrend is Swedish but she's never had the patience to talk with me in Swedish because the conversations are too simple and one sided. Also you don't get the spelling and I learn a word much better if I see it written down as well as hearing it.

Having learnt more of the language it gets a bit easier from her point of view though as I can engage more so she is more willing to speak it to me.

The Michel Thomas courses are good for conversational level stuff.

I'm always surprised when people say German is easier than French. I found the opposite; German grammar a nightmare is. Not to mention all those unpronounceablecompoundwords.

Watch German TV with the subtitles on, kids programmes are also good as a foundation.

Sounds stupid I know but sesame street or similar are good for the basics especially the pronunciation of certain sounds.

I can get by in Dutch if needed but it's always tough unless you can think in the foreign language if that makes sense.

Pimsleur is the best brand.

Also when you learn, as with almost anything, keep the body active. It could be something simple like bouncing a balloon on your non dominant arm as you repeat words/conjugations/so on. By doing that your brain will be better suited to capture the information. Put it this way, what happens when you sit down for an hour long lecture? Eventually you feel drowsy. And generally then you only recall the intro and outro... at worst.

Also when you learn, as with almost anything, keep the body active. It could be something simple like bouncing a balloon on your non dominant arm as you repeat words/conjugations/so on. By doing that your brain will be better suited to capture the information. Put it this way, what happens when you sit down for an hour long lecture? Eventually you feel drowsy. And generally then you only recall the intro and outro... at worst.

Now that's an interesting idea.....

Watch the video. If you have time, watch it from the start too. Very impressive. Duolingo. It's not fully released yet though.

Now that's an interesting idea.....

It works. I learned it when I did a foreign language instructors course in '05. Definitely worked for me. I speak spanish now. I learned basic italian and brushed up on french too though I haven't practiced which is key.

I found it's easier to let the whole world learn English rather than me learn a foreign language

Saying that I can muster a conversation in Hungarian but they don't exactly go out of their way at times like when you have a smelly baby and you ask someone in Hungarian for a nappy (pelenka) and they think you've asked for a bottle of Brandy (Palinka) as the words are very similar :shock: (least they are to a foreigner )

I'll have to try it. Not something I'd ever considered before but I'm genuinely intrigued. Would be curious to know if any research has been done on this. Certainly, thinking about the way I've always learnt I've never been active so it's really an idea that's grabbed me.

I'll have to try it. Not something I'd ever considered before but I'm genuinely intrigued. Would be curious to know if any research has been done on this. Certainly, thinking about the way I've always learnt I've never been active so it's really an idea that's grabbed me.

There's definitely been papers written on it. I'll have to find some links for you...

Watch the video. If you have time, watch it from the start too. Very impressive. Duolingo. It's not fully released yet though.

sounds interesting ..but wouldn't it just mean that you can read and write a language but not actually speak it ?

sounds interesting ..but wouldn't it just mean that you can read and write a language but not actually speak it ?

You mean like pronunciations etc? I would imagine given the smarts of the people involved that there will be the ability to hear what you are doing as well.

You mean like pronunciations etc?

yep ..I learnt French at school and can muster a few words but I still sound like an Englishman however much I try to speak like a native

anyway it sounded good so I've enlisted and eagerly await my email from them

Â