Gym Routine

olboydave

Was at University of Leeds today for an open day, their gym is seriously impressive. It's honestly a major part of why I want to go there.

One of my biggest regrets is that I went to that Uni for 3 years, with shit loads of free time, and I went in that gym a grand total of twice.

It was like £40 for a year's membership as well.

Moron.

Yep, mine was free. Spent the entire time hungover, rotting on the sofa.

Went to University fit as hell, came back a bit of a lump. Taken me 6 years (not that I have been training 6 years  :) ) to get back to where I was.

Was at University of Leeds today for an open day, their gym is seriously impressive. It's honestly a major part of why I want to go there.

One of my biggest regrets is that I went to that Uni for 3 years, with shit loads of free time, and I went in that gym a grand total of twice.

It was like £40 for a year's membership as well.

Moron.

Yep, mine was free. Spent the entire time hungover, rotting on the sofa.

Went to University fit as hell, came back a bit of a lump. Taken me 6 years (not that I have been training 6 years  :) ) to get back to where I was.

Same as me. I reckon this year is the first time I've actually been slimmer than when I went to Uni. And I graduated in 2007

I put on a lot of weight at uni, then spent 2007-2011 losing some then putting some back on, rinse and repeat.

The last year has sorted me out properly though.

Did my first training session yesterday after a 3 week break due to a two week holiday in Greece and then a week of simply being idle :-) Had a bit of a virus and I have to say training knocked the bollocks out of me. I was determined to get through it though and somehow in the end managed to lift the weight I was lifting and do same amount of sets/reps as I was pre break.

I have put about 4 pound on over the last 3 weeks which I know is **** all and should hopefully be pretty easy to shift. If I can shift that 4 pound and another 3 on top that will take me down to the lightest I have been since 2002 when I was 28 and only a couple of pound heavier than I was in my teens.

Edited by markavfc40

A question for all you longterm guys ....when on holiday do you find a gym & continue the routine or break completely 

Personally I take a break from the lifting but will do a fair bit of swimming which is a great all round exercise and uses all muscles if you mix up your strokes a little. Throw in a fair bit of walking and usually on a two week hol I can eat and drink pretty much as I please and still only put on between around 2 and 4Ib.

A question for all you longterm guys ....when on holiday do you find a gym & continue the routine or break completely

Break.

Breaks are good. And you're on holiday, eat, drink, **** and be merry.

It's uncanny how similar my response was gong to be to this :D

As DDID says, breaks are good. Your body needs it. Take the opportunity to have some time off and get back on it when you're back

Edited by Stevo985

I seem to have buggered my shoulder. Was a bit of pain last night when I was doing some standing presses, but it went away after the first set so I carried on. It's in a lot of pain today though, I can't really lift my arm above 90 degrees. It sucks, hope it doesn't last too long.

Break.

Am going on a 12 week tour of SE Asia and Australasia next year, have absolutely no idea how I'm going to stop my strength from wittling away during this time. Can see myself being back at square one by the time I get back.

I bet you'll be fine Shillzz. As I've said before, you don't seem to lose strength, only definition. Which might actually be more important on any Australasian beaches :D

Break.

Am going on a 12 week tour of SE Asia and Australasia next year, have absolutely no idea how I'm going to stop my strength from wittling away during this time. Can see myself being back at square one by the time I get back.

You're likely to lose strength. Probably not that much but I'd be surprised if 12 weeks off didn't result in a loss of strength.

The good news is it's a lot quicker to get it back than it is to get there in the first place

Break.

You're likely to lose strength. Probably not that much but I'd be surprised if 12 weeks off didn't result in a loss of strength.

The good news is it's a lot quicker to get it back than it is to get there in the first place

That's good to know.

I'm resigned to losing a fair amount of strength - having seen a dip in results after only a 2 week holiday, I'm under no illusions that I'll be getting straight back into the gym with the same level of strength as before.

Hopefully it won't take too long to get back to my peak, though I suspect motivation will be my biggest challenge. Repeating something that you've already achieved is always somewhat of a bastard.

I don't know from experience, but I've read that 2 weeks is about the limit for breaks. Any longer than that and you'll start losing strength/size.

Obviously it varies for everyone and would depend on diet.

But yeah don' worry about it. Just hit it hard when you're back and you'll be golden.

• Like 1

I'm climbing Mt Blanc (finally) next year. I'm going to lose about 8-10kg.

Pissing and whinging about your bloody holidays. Christ ;)

On a serious note use your body. Pull ups, press ups etc. I worked away for 4 weeks a while ago and I didn't lose much by the way of strength and I got ripped.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go tonight and see what it's like. The elbow has improved, as has the tennis elbow. The aforementioned (non-gym) knee injury is still there which stops me warming up but if I'm honest I'm happy about that. I hate the cardio. So I'll do a bit of everything that I can do and I'll decide if I'll return based on how I get on.

Elbow starting to give me bother as well ..but nothing too

Major .....starting to feel a low coming on ...I can definitely feel something happening which is a positive but im aching most days and I know fir sure my form is off on the squat no matter how many times im adjusting it.....mugh I need to go get drunk I think

Pity we're never there at the same time because I know my form is good. Sounds like you're reaching your first plateau. That's OK. Your body will just say "sod this, I need to get bigger if he keeps giving me stuff to lift" :)

If that elbow is a bone pain get it checked.

Â