Gym Routine

olboydave

Finding it hard to get motivated since I got back from holiday. Only been to the gym a handful of times since.

Need to get back on it for a month (before my next holiday!).

After that I'll be going on my bulk for the year.

Question for JB. GVT, would you recommend going straight into it as a bulk, or would it be beneficial to do a more traditional split for a few weeks first?

Really and truely your diet is the staple of a lean bulk, i would recommend training 4x a week with a bodybuilder routine rather than GVT especially if unassisted

It was my opinion. For a beginner (I was talking to Ginko, who is a beginner) I think free weights are better than machines.

Not sure how you come to that opinion but fair enough its yours to have. Edited by YGabbana

Finding it hard to get motivated since I got back from holiday. Only been to the gym a handful of times since.

Question for JB. GVT, would you recommend going straight into it as a bulk, or would it be beneficial to do a more traditional split for a few weeks first?

Really and truely your diet is the staple of a lean bulk, i would recommend training 4x a week with a bodybuilder routine rather than GVT especially if unassisted

I know that, thanks.

It was my opinion. For a beginner (I was talking to Ginko, who is a beginner) I think free weights are better than machines.

Not sure how you come to that opinion but fair enough its yours to have.

I already explained it once. You quoted it in your last post :thumb:

Personally I would favor free weights over machines. Obviously a combination of both is ideal but if I had to choose one to start out with it would be free weights.

I think they just provide a better grounding and strength base.

Some machines hit the secondary mucles just as well as free weights do, to advise a beginner to disregard machines and stick to free weights is abit strange imo, a mix of both is required.

People i train and people my coach train both use machines and free weights, especially beginners who can use certain machines to get the feel of a movement, as JB says the hack squat machine is the perfect example.

Edited by YGabbana
  • Like 1

I didn't tell him to disregard them. I told him free weights were better so to choose a gym with a good selection (there are plenty of gyms out there that offer very little in terms of free weights)

In fact, I specifically advised him to follow a proper beginners' routine, designed by people who know what they are doing. I'd be very surprised if he found a routine that didn't include some machine work.

Edited by Stevo985

Some machines hit the secondary mucles just as well as free weights do, to advise a beginner to disregard machines and stick to free weights is abit strange imo, a mix of both is required.

People i train and people my coach train both use machines and free weights, especially beginners who can use certain machines to get the feel of a movement, as JB says the hack squat machine is the perfect example.

Agreed. And to add: I know people who train others who'd never advise beginners to do deadlifts and squats. The reason being is that some people quite simply find them uncomfortable, or not enjoyable, so all this does is makes them dislike working out and they end up quitting the gym.

People need to find a programme that suits them and not get too obsessed with doing big compound movements. You can build muscle without them, despite what the bro science says, so you need to find what suits you the most. If you can incorporate them - great - but if you can't then it's okay to find alternatives.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

Agreed. And to add: I know people who train others who'd never advise beginners to do deadlifts and squats. The reason being is that some people quite simply find them uncomfortable, or not enjoyable, so all this does is makes them dislike working out and they end up quitting the gym.

People need to find a programme that suits them and not get too obsessed with doing big compound movements. You can build muscle without them, despite what the bro science says, so you need to find what suits you the most. If you can incorporate them - great - but if you can't then it's okay to find alternatives.

To add to that, i hate doing deadlifts lol

Personally, I would probably do a traditional (body part/upper-lower/PPL) split for 2-3 weeks, or at least until you're back in the swing of things. I'm not sure there's anything magical about GVT to be honest. I guess it's just a way of getting more reps/sets which combined with slow eccentrics equals more time under tension, which in turn should equal more growth. The prescriptive strength increments also pushed me to try weights that I probably wouldn't have. I kind of tried it on a whim as I was in a bit of a rut planning my own programs. I enjoyed it. Although I wish I hadn't paired Bulgarian split squats with DB straight-leg deadlifts! As you've been lifting for a while I reckon you should try the advanced program with the lower reps/higher loads. Oh and really try and pair the exercises if you can!

Charles Poliquin talks an awful lot of shit (and makes a lot of money doing so. Bioprint courses for example) and is a bit of a laughing stock in some circles but he knows his apples when it comes to training. 

• Like 1

Spot on that is. 

Personally, I would probably do a traditional (body part/upper-lower/PPL) split for 2-3 weeks, or at least until you're back in the swing of things. I'm not sure there's anything magical about GVT to be honest. I guess it's just a way of getting more reps/sets which combined with slow eccentrics equals more time under tension, which in turn should equal more growth. The prescriptive strength increments also pushed me to try weights that I probably wouldn't have. I kind of tried it on a whim as I was in a bit of a rut planning my own programs. I enjoyed it. Although I wish I hadn't paired Bulgarian split squats with DB straight-leg deadlifts! As you've been lifting for a while I reckon you should try the advanced program with the lower reps/higher loads. Oh and really try and pair the exercises if you can!

Charles Poliquin talks an awful lot of shit (and makes a lot of money doing so. Bioprint courses for example) and is a bit of a laughing stock in some circles but he knows his apples when it comes to training. 

That's what I thought (hence the question :) )

I'm not expecting magic from GVT, just want to try something different, My last bulks were a traditional split and I got bored and stalled on them a bit so want to try something I haven't tried before.

Plus a friend of mine ran GVT for a while and got good results.

I'll probably run the basic programme to start with to be honest, have abreak from GVT and then go onto the advanced routine. Depending on how long I've got.

But in my head it'll be 2-3 weeks normal split

Basic GVT routine

2-3 weeks normal split

advanced GVT routine

But I'll work it out properly nearer the time

You're doing it wron..... actually no maybe you're not. Carry on.

e614d59db172ce793dd8f3b84617b9f0.png

Japanese Defensive Lineman, Takuya Seiki, uses a 340kg leg press to do shoulder presses in training.

Â