Gym Routine

olboydave

Partly because I don't like the 'manly' / 'lad' guys that go to gyms (I know that's not true of all gym-goers), and partly because I think I'd be a bit paranoid of people watching me. My third reason is I'm stubborn, and think I can do enough healthy stuff without paying for the gym. My diet isn't bad tbh, like most people I'll have the occasional treat, but I generally eat well (whether that's well enough to make a change to my body, I don't know). I have my fruit and veg, bread/pasta, and I eat proper meat (not much processed/fake stuff).

Partly because I don't like the 'manly' / 'lad' guys that go to gyms (I know that's not true of all gym-goers), and partly because I think I'd be a bit paranoid of people watching me. My third reason is I'm stubborn, and think I can do enough healthy stuff without paying for the gym. My diet isn't bad tbh, like most people I'll have the occasional treat, but I generally eat well (whether that's well enough to make a change to my body, I don't know). I have my fruit and veg, bread/pasta, and I eat proper meat (not much processed/fake stuff).

well in terms of your view of gym goers, I think you'd find that the vast majority of people who use the gym are accepting of everyone using it. And to be honest, most people in there couldn't care less what the guy next to them is doing.

So the paranoia is understandable, but unfounded. I had it myself, but if anything, the people who are bigger and stronger will be more likely to help you than laugh at you.

Your diet being "good" is fine. But good doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose weight. You could eat nothing but veg but if your calories are too high you'll put on fat.

Yeah you can do enough exercise to cancel that out and if you're only eating a small calorie excess then that'll work.

But say you're eating 500 calories a day too much. Doesn't sound like a lot. But that's 3500 a week. Say you go to the gym 3 times a week, which is very reasonable. To burn off those excess calories you'd have to burn 1166 calories a session.

To give you an idea, when I do cardio and use the exercise bike I usually burn around 600 calories an hour.

So that's nearly 2 hours of exercise just to burn off the excess that I'm eating.

I guess what I'm saying is if your diet is "good" and you're exercising regularly then that's a great start. And if you notice you're losing weight then by all means stick to that and ignore me because it's working :)

But if you're struggling to shift it then isn't it easier to sort out that excess 500 calories a day than work your arse off every time you're in the gym?

I'll see how things go with my current 'routine'.. If you could call it that! If I don't notice much difference then I'll look into what you've mentioned about the calories in the food. I know my views on gyms are unfounded, but as someone who's not a huge fan of people I don't know anyway, going to a gym is way, way down on my list :)

• Like 1

It's 2500 for a male, 2000 for a female.

But that can vary wildly by weight and height and daily activity.

Mine is just over 3000 for example. I eat 2500 ish to lose weight.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back at the gym after over a year off. Going in early mornings before work so in here for 7am. So much better doing an early morning session IMO. Empty gym, good way to energise for the day and it leaves my evenings free to spend with the missus and little one.

Lost so much strength though. Back to basics and gonna work my way back up. As an example my highest lifts were: Bench 105kg, Squat 155kg, DL 180kg, OHP 70kg, Row 80kg. I'm now starting from Bench 40kg, Squat 60kg, DL 80kg, OHP 30kg and Row 30kg.

Could probably lift more as a max, but as a general 5x5 routine those are the weights. Can't wait to get back up there.

Probably been asked before but how much do people pay for their gym memberships?

I recently changed gyms as the one I was using had hiked the price up another £10 per 3 months (making it £90), and after a recommendation I joined Pure Gym (nr.Merry Hill) and it's only £18.99 per month (no contract) which i think is very good value considering it's a big gym with mostly brand new equipment. I go 4-5 times a week usually around 2.30 in the afternoon and there's never any problem getting on any of the machines. It's also open 24 hours a day which is great if I ever fancy a night session after working late.

I'm currently doing the C25K thing to try and get into running. On week 6 and finding it quite enjoyable. If you're a lazy bastard like me and not really sure where to start with running, it's a great introduction. My goal is to lose weight, probably to drop a stone all together. Generally every day I eat a banana and an apple for breakfast. For lunch I'll have an "Eat Healthy" Sainsburys sandwich and a packet of crisps, followed by more fruit. for tea I usually have something like a pasta dish with quorn or something similar. I really don't think i'm hitting 2500 calories, but just can't seem to drop weight. 

Though, on a Friday I do tend to have a takeaway curry so that might mess up my weekly plan :lol:

I pay £47

Which is too much. But I'd happily pay more for an empty gym.

I'm jealous of Dante getting to go early. If I had an empty gym I'd genuinely work out every day.

Yeah - I used to hate going after work as it was always 1) packed and 2) I was always knackered after a days work.

The joys of self employment mean I get to go every day at a time I want, which is usually 2.30 - 3 in the afternoon as it breaks the day up nicely. I never find it a chore to go anymore.

How much did all that cost you if you don't mind me asking? 

Initial outlay was about £600 for the equipment but I've added stuff sporadically. It just started as cage, bench, weights, weight tree and barbell.

I also spent about £100 on heavy duty plywood and rubber horse stable mats for it all to sit on.

I've got my beady eye on a hex bar next.

£0.

I bought a power cage, weights, bench, dumbbells, dipping station, spin bike etc.

Always empty, always tidy, always clean.

If I had the space I'd go for this.

Was looking into some sort of shed/log cabin for my garden that I could turn into a gym but it's just too expensive for a house which i don't tend to live in for too long.

Wish I had a garage!

How much did all that cost you if you don't mind me asking? 

Initial outlay was about £600 for the equipment but I've added stuff sporadically. It just started as cage, bench, weights, weight tree and barbell.

I also spent about £100 on heavy duty plywood and rubber horse stable mats for it all to sit on.

I've got my beady eye on a hex bar next.

Did you buy this equipment as a beginner or were you into your training beforehand?

I've been thinking about converting my spare room into a gym, currently got a treadmill and a rowing machine in there and would like some more "weighty" equipment to tone up a bit in between days of doing cardio. But when it comes to weight I'm a complete novice, have no idea what to buy or how to use it, and I really dislike the idea of going to a gym. However, that equipment for £600 is within my price range. 

Sorry to keep pestering you lol

Â