Gym Routine

olboydave

The deadlift is generally regarded as a lower-body, hip-dominant exercise but the beauty of it is that there aren't many muscles in the body that it doesn't recruit! It does indeed give all areas of the posterior chain a beating (in the best possible way!), though. I've certainly noticed the difference in my back (for the worse) since I had to stop doing them to rehab an unrelated injury. I genuinely can't wait to get back to them, though!

I thoroughly recommend snatch-grip Deadlifts to mix things up a bit. Awesome.

• Like 1

Stuck on 120 dead lift failed 3 attempts at 5x5 both on the third set would I be better going back to say 115 and rebuild or just keep at 120 until I get it.
Stronglifts says go back to 117.5 and succeed again. I don't suppose going back to 115 would be any worse if you thought it'd work better. It's your body so do what it tells you.
  • Like 1

Stuck on 120 dead lift failed 3 attempts at 5x5 both on the third set would I be better going back to say 115 and rebuild or just keep at 120 until I get it.

Stronglifts says go back to 117.5 and succeed again. I don't suppose going back to 115 would be any worse if you thought it'd work better. It's your body so do what it tells you.

My body says what the funk you doing in the gym sit down,relax have some nachos and a beer ...let's grow old and fat together...:D

• Like 1

I always give myself two weeks.

If I failed this week (say I only got 3) then I'd try again next session. If THAT fails too then I'll drop down.

Dont know if that's the right way but it works for me.

In fact that's exactly what happened tonight (only managed 3 reps at 165)

Sorry I've just re-read that MV. Are you saying your fails were all tonight? I thought you failed 5x5x120 on 3 consecutive deadlift workout nights. If you only failed tonight then go back at 120 next time you're doing them. Sorry if I misread.

The work outs have been going well as far as getting back into it. My issue is that since Saturday I have been dizzy and a little nauseous. It only lasts a few minutes. I have been drinking water and a protein shake. The only dietary thing remotely different is it's a different protein flavor. I believe all of the other ingredients are the same. Do you guys think it's just my body adjusting to getting back into it?

In my experience, dizziness and slight nausea have been caused by an intense workout or dehydration. Very often people think that they're drinking enough but they aren't. Sometimes in the past if I haven't eaten enough or am getting over a big night out I've felt ropey, as well.

But don't put too much stall in what some random guys on the internet say about what could well be a medical matter. If it continues, go and see a doctor.

• Like 1

On a personal note I would never really recommend Insanity. My personal opinion is that it (as well as P90x) are too intense and frequent in so much as they become demotivating because you have to do so much so often. That's not to say they won't work (although you won't build much muscle from them, but that's not everyone's goal). Quite the opposite. I just think they're difficult, and that's from experience. And also you need to commit to their diet (or just a sensible fitness diet). You can do as much Insanity as you want, if you're eating shit it aint gonna do much.

BUT, no I don't think you should be put off by your fitness. Those programmes are tough but they're set up in such a way as you can cope whatever your fitness through extended breaks or just pausing when you can't take anymore.

Todays work out was pathetic. No one but me showed up. And I mean no one. Not even the trainers. They told me to attempt what was on the board. After leaving out the stuff I am physically not capable of doing I only ended up with a 30 minute routine. I'd normally go run, but it's 31 degrees here (I think that's around -0.5 or 0.6 Celsius) I do not run in that kind of temp. I might just go back out there and do extra abs and squats.

Â