The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

Just finished 'Attack on titan', it was bloody superb. Might have to acquire the Manga, I can't wait until 2016 for more.

Next animes are Cowboy Bebop and FLCL.

FLCL is one of, if not my no. 1 all time favourite. Gosh, that soundtrack.

Since I posted I've watched some really great animes. 

Zankyou no Terror: this is an anime about two geniuses who turn terrorists, but they have strong reasons for their actions. They never kill anyone. Fantastic anime. 10/10

Death Parade: When you die, you are sent to a purgatory type place where you play a game for your soul. Then based on your actions during the game, the arbiter decides if you go to heaven or hell. The arbiter tries to get the people to show their true selves during the games to see if they are good or bad deep down. 9/10

Tokyo Ghoul season 1 and 2: Ghoul who are blood thirsty creatures in disguise as humans appear and are killing people in the city. One boy encounters a ghoul and he is gravely injured. The ghoul is killed and the boy is given the ghouls organs to keep him alive which turns him into half ghoul, half human. He struggles to adapt to the new ghoul lifestyle until he is forced to embrace his new powers and becomes one of the strongest ghouls possible. 9/10

Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu aka parasite: Parasites invade earth and take over human bodies. One boy sees the parasite enter his body and stops it from taking control of his brain so the parasite on has control over his arm. The parasites slowly start killing off people in the city and the boy uses his parasite to try to stop them. 10/10

Parasite and Zankyou no Terror were honestly fantastic. Parasite seemed a bit silly at first, but it became a serious show. Zankyou no Terror makes you side with terrorists and you actually end up rooting for them. 

I'll have to check those out, I haven't watched anime for quite some time now. Attack on Titan was the last new show I watched and that seems like ages ago now.

I'll have to check those out, I haven't watched anime for quite some time now. Attack on Titan was the last new show I watched and that seems like ages ago now.

Honestly you should watch those 4. They were all excellent watches. I somehow got so hooked on parasite that I watched all 24 episodes in 24 hours. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On 04/07/2014 at 09:50, GarethRDR said:

tumblr_mi8mwc5Cfe1rdxswoo1_500.gif

So, over 2 years after it was supposed to be available, Eva 3.33 us finally, actually, properly getting released on 29th February 2016, ie. next month, sa-weeeeeet

I **** adore Berserk, but there is a member of this forum who is banned from this thread for his hatred of it. Some people just have no taste, I guess. 

I hoped against hope they'd animate the rest of the Manga after the movies were done. Looks like my wish may come true. 

• Like 1

Watched the series and read around 300 volumes of the manga maybe 10 years ago, Absolutely loved it, just hope it holds up.

Didn't know about the movies, I'll be trying to track them down asap.

They're not my favourite. For how aged the series is now, I still love it, warts and all. The 3 movies just condense the whole thing in to 3 90 minute parts, making it look prettier, and sticking in those notsosuretheyreactuallygood 3d cgi character models. 

I love how you remember that one fact about me, hogso :D

I always loved the concept of it. Medieval setting, ridiculously oversized sword, the promise of epic battles and some monsters thrown in - all good stuff. But it didn't deliver on the fights and the animation must have been on a budget because of all the still shots they used. It was boring. I enjoyed Claymore much more.

I'm open to giving the new series a try. That trailer already had more action in it than the original show ever did ;)

I haven't watched any anime in a few years but with the upcoming Berserk reboot I thought I'd start again.

My favourites have been:

Berserk, Elfen Lied, Akira, Fist of the North Star, Claymore, and Guyver.

I have Attack on Titan, Full Metal Alchemist, Gantz, Basilisk, Code Geass on my watchlist, Is there anything else similar anyone would recommend? 

MAL (everything I can remember seeing, probably still a few things missing)

We have very similar tastes, Gurren Lagann, Gantz (bit like Berserk in that the manga carries on for a lot longer than the animated series, but it has at least finished now. Made significant enough impact to get 2 live action movies, and a new manga series later this year), Berserk, Akira (if you haven't read all the manga, do!), all amongst my favourites. 

Watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, Lain, and Monster. If you have the time. 

Edited by hogso

I have plenty of time, main obstacle is finding English dubs. I can watch videos and what not at work as long I keep an eye on the CCTV so subtitles are out. Planning on starting Attack on Titan when I'm back in work.

Lain doesn't sound like my kinda thing but I'll give it a go if I can get it.

Dude with a massive sword kills stuff.

A brave young warrior named Guts fights for his fortune as a mercenary on the front lines. A fated encounter unites Guts with the charismatic and deadly young man named Griffith. Leading the rogue soldiers known as the Band of the Hawk, Griffith wields his formidable force like no other. Driven by a quest for status, the Hawks exert military and social prowess the likes of which have never been seen before. The armies of Midland will quake with fear as Griffith and Guts set off on a path that will bring the world to its knees.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/33/Berserk

It's set in a faux medieval European setting, for the most part pretty straight. Castles, battles with swords and armies, horses, cannons and the like. The story follows a band of mercenaries, The Band of the Hawk, their charismatic leader Griffith, and their captain, Gutz, as they make their way from mercs to nobles through winning countless important victories, politics, and a bit of skullduggery. 

Things are not quite as they seem, though, as the anime is the first arc of the manga, which is actually just Gutz's back story. There are fantasy elements in the story too, but they're not really very important until the end, when all hell breaks loose - literally. 

As mentioned though, it's aged. Might be worth just watching the movies from the last few years instead of the series from the 90s. It's a rare example, especially given the era it's from, of a really really good English dub, too. Like, really good. I wouldn't want to watch it subbed, ever. 

Edited by hogso

Â