The Anime & Manga Thread

GarethRDR

I musn't pirate it, I musn't pirate it, I musn't pirate it, I musn't pirate it, I musn't pirate it, I musn't pirate it, I musn't pirate it......ALRIGHT! ...I'll pirate it :(

Subtitled, original language for me (though with the Ghibli's you do tend to get good English language voice-casting).

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1

I watched Spirited Away in English because they'd actually hired a proper cast and lip synced to the animation, but I can imagine some of the less main stream stuff could end up like the first Resident Evil game.

I'll hear nothing against the Resident Evil intro.  Truly amazing stuff.  My favourite part is when they're shooting at the dogs, at night, through fog and Wesker still has his sunglasses on.  That's just dedication.

It's the voice acting that's awful.  Hilariously awful though, some of my favourite lines of all time are from that game.

"You were almost a Jill sandwich"

"he he you're riiiight!"

Dub's are generally not too bad in recent years, specifically for Ghibli as they've had more exposure and respect in the west. If you watch stuff from the 90s, or worse, before that, then there is some real tripe that should be avoided. I would usually suggest always watching with subs, but there are definitely exceptions to the rule, where the English dub can improve enjoyment of it. Things like Cowboy Bebop and Berserk come to mind.

Games don't quite seem to have caught up, or rather, they don't seem to have the budget left over to get decent VA's in and literally drag people in off the street. Deadly Premonition is a fantastic example of that...much like the rest of the game, though, it seemed to add to the oddness of the whole thing. In a good way.

they don't seem to have the budget left over to get decent VA's in and literally drag people in off the street.

This surprises me because usually for a quick beard trim and a bag of lego he's anyones.

Dub's are generally not too bad in recent years, 

He's a good guy

I would usually suggest always watching with subs, but there are definitely exceptions to the rule, where the English dub can improve enjoyment of it. Things like Cowboy Bebop and Berserk come to mind.

I always go for original audio with subs, but you're right, dubs have improved. However, as good as the Cowboy Bebop dub might have been, the original audio is still much better. Spike-uh Spieg-eh-ru! Edited by Ginko

My Neighbour Totoro and Princess Mononoke.

+1 for Grave of the Fireflies, keep a tissue box handy though.

Never knew cartoons could be so arousing ;)

Just ask Hogso.

• 4 weeks later...

The last few days, watched my first ever manga films... Tekkonkinkreet, Paprika and the one I've always been told to watch Akira. I'm not sure how I feel about them really. It's all a trippy really... As a beginner what would people recommend? Oh and I don't have internet at home so it would be just DVD films..

Edited by mikeyp102

I'd personally say you were jumping off at the deep end with Tekkonkinkreet and Paprika. Akira is brilliant but again it's very stylised and could be difficult to get into if you're not really into anime or manga yet. Then again, Akira is probably the most familiar anime film to a lot of people who aren't really into it.

Look into the Studio Ghibli films suggested above. Things like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are absolutely brilliant. They're very strange but they will blow you away with their visuals and sounds, and the stories are great too. They often incorporate a lot of Japanese folklore into their stories which is why a lot of it might seem plain old weird to us, but it's the equivalent of Disney drawing on old fairytales. It's just a cultural thing and you get used to it eventually.

If you're looking for something less fantastical and a bit darker, then there are plenty of great anime TV shows available online for free streaming.

Give Cowboy Bebop a shot. It's absolutely brilliant, very stylish but it has a lot of Western influences that could make the transition into anime a bit smoother for you. There's lots of good suggestions if you look back through the thread.

Alternatively, tell us what sort of things you're into and people could suggest anime that is similar. For instance, if you're into sci-fi, Cowboy Bebop is a great place to start. If you're into very dark, clever and twisted thrillers, you can't do much better than Death Note. Like medieval things? Berserk could be right up your alley.

Hope that helps. Tell us what you like.

Ginko he doesn't have internet at home he can't stream, silly!

Which is a shame cos if you did I'd recommend something like Monster. Which is a bit of a monster in number of episodes, but it's a cracking story and avoids many of those annoying anime cliches which can be off putting to prospective fans. You can't get the series on DVD over here either (and even only the first 13 episodes in America even), so uh, that sucks.

I think maybe try some movies before getting in to any series. Ghibli stuff for sure, get hold of and/or record them on Film Four when they're on, which seems to be every 3 months or so. They just put a load on in the early afternoon or late night slots. The 'classics' that have their name batted around with Akira would be good too, things like Ghost in the Shell, Perfect Blue, Millienium Actress...

Â