What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Which 23 minutes brings more personal misery - Supper's Ready (1972) (Genesis) or Autobahn (1974) (Kraftwerk)?

Funnily enough, while neither is really my cup of tea, I don't actually HATE either. 

The early 70s Gabriel-era Genesis were full of pompous twaddle, but they did have their moments. But the Collins-fronted 'pop' Genesis were utterly unlistenable. 

And the long version of Autobahn is about the only Kraftwerk track I can tolerate - especially while motorway driving, natch. 

I refuse to hate any music but it can be a very close call.

I don't actually dislike Supper's Ready; musically it is a delight but the whole dancing pixies and hippy schtick just ruins it for me.

So, rather too much bustle in their hedgerow for my taste.

But I don't think you can deny its musical excellence.

Autobahn is as you tell it.

What I always liked about early Genesis was the sound palette - very nice mix of instruments and voice. But the good bits of tune tended to be bolted together clunkily (a typical fault of prog bands), and the lyrics were frankly risible. 

Cue my favourite band of the moment - Big Big Train (already mentioned back in this very thread). Their current album 'English Electric: Full Power' has much of the sound of early Genesis - but with really good songs about The Real World (several themed around history and the British industrial and agricultural working experience - more like 'folk' themes, really). Really good band. 

I refuse to hate any music

I hate loads of music; rap, hip hop, dance/house/rave, MTV style "r&b", chart shit, boyband shit, anything that's been on Britains Got No Talent or The Voice. That's just for starters

• Like 2

What I always liked about early Genesis was the sound palette - very nice mix of instruments and voice. But the good bits of tune tended to be bolted together clunkily (a typical fault of prog bands), and the lyrics were frankly risible

The funny thing was that many of their biggest fans were university types - not as though that says a lot. :)

Edited by MakemineVanilla

What I always liked about early Genesis was the sound palette - very nice mix of instruments and voice. But the good bits of tune tended to be bolted together clunkily (a typical fault of prog bands), and the lyrics were frankly risible

The funny thing was that many of their biggest fans were university types - not as though that says a lot. :)

Oh, that makes sense to me. Cryptic lyrics = poetry = profound = groovy. 

Never liked it much myself (as a student I was more into bands like Humble Pie, Taste and The Faces), but I can see why it might appeal to some. 

I hate loads of music; rap, hip hop, dance/house/rave

Yep, I'll subscribe to that same list, Rob. 

28iu7b9.gif

Utterly dire. Reminds me yet again of that quote from k d laing - something like: "I really fancy trying ecstasy, but I daren't risk it, in case it makes me start liking shit music". 

Edited by mjmooney

I hate loads of music; rap, hip hop, dance/house/rave

Yep, I'll subscribe to that same list, Rob. 

28iu7b9.gif

Utterly dire. Reminds me yet again of that quote from k d laing - something like: "I really fancy trying ecstasy, but I daren't risk it, in case it makes me start liking shit music". 

Most music is packaged with a whole collection of extrinsic values and it is usually pretty easy to spot them.

If those values are badly contrived, artificial and inauthentic, it becomes very difficult to like the music.

For me to love something I think I need to like the whole package.

I can even accept a bit of phoney authenticity if it is convincing enough.

If the whole package is designed for wannabe ghetto heroes, lachrymose, family-friendly, quasi-reality TV shows, or for girlies to wet their knickers over, I just assume it is not produced for the likes of me.

But even so, I think if a record achieves what it set out to achieve, you have to respect the effort.

Haha, I don't like heavy metal that much. Genesis,yes,pink floyd etc attracted the well educated sorts and well to do people. Zeppelin attracted the popular lads who got all the pussy and sabbath attracted the unpopular down and outs. Not all true I know but that's the image I get. The who attracted hooligans and riff raff????

Â