• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

I think the point is though that the fans have a massive emotional tie to the club and want to be top dogs and win things (and were teased with this for the last 5 years) but the board have a more business like approach and if asked off the record would probably be happy with a top 10 finish every season.

I see no difference in McLeish than in MON, both did pretty well in Scotland, and both led poor teams to League Cup success.

Perhaps McLeish has a lot more about him than putting out a team that defends week in week out because the club he manages only wishes to survive in the Premier League (ok he failed on that one). Maybe though with a team with different aspirations he'll prove to be an astute manager, we just don't know.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point is though that the fans have a massive emotional tie to the club and want to be top dogs and win things (and were teased with this for the last 5 years) but the board have a more business like approach and if asked off the record would probably be happy with a top 10 finish every season.

I see no difference in McLeish than in MON, both did pretty well in Scotland, and both led poor teams to League Cup success.

Perhaps McLeish has a lot more about him than putting out a team that defends week in week out because the club he manages only wishes to survive in the Premier League (ok he failed on that one). Maybe though with a team with different aspirations he'll prove to be an astute manager, we just don't know.

I hear what you're saying but hope we never get to find out!

From Mail Online

We are a laughing stock - Thanks Faulkner, Thanks Randy

McLeish has previously defended his negative slow tactics at Birmingham as 'personnel dictating a particular brand'. But he has proven that given money to spend and talent to play with, he can struggle to let old habits die hard.

The £6million arrival of Nikola Zigic, the tallest man in the Premier League, brought mixed success but the disappointment of loan signings Alexander Hleb and David Bentley suggested he could not fit them in to a system.

Both are talented midfielders but were shackled under the style employed by McLeish and the Scot wasn't about to let their skill and flair take a key-role in a how the team played.

So where do Villa really expect McLeish to take them? His managerial CV alone would point to a steady and safe if not wise appointment.

But there is just too much baggage to come with it. Instant results will become more important than ever in an attempt to win over fans that will be instantly on his back over his Birmingham connections and his negative style of football.

You only have to look at Roy Hodgson's tenure at Liverpool to see how even a lukewarm reception from supporters can see a bad start snowball.

But if he does get those wins, how far can he take them? You need to get the best out of top quality players to reach Villa's target of Europe and beyond, and as seen with the loan signings at Birmingham that isn't his strength if he continues to stick with passive tactics.

If Alex McLeish is to be a success at Villa he will need to up his managerial game, this isn't impossible but few would think he is worth the risky pursuit Villa have made to try find out.

The only way Randy can save himself is to come out and say that the McLeish deal is off due to fan unrest.

If he dosnt, the relationship with the board will never be the same again.

That would be worse.

It would mean he is not strong willed to follow through on his convictions. What manager would join us knowing that the Chairman was the fans' puppet? They would never be secure in their job. We would also be a joke IN the game.

As he has now approached McLeish he HAS to see it through.

Why does he have to see it through???

If you're an employer do you papersift potential employees CV's but only interview one??? that would be daft!!!

To get out of this, Randy can interview 1 or 2 more candidates and simply say AM wasn't the best equipped but thanks for trying!

True but at this period of time he HAS offered him the job. So if he then withdraws the offer because the other staff don't like the look of him, then you would seem weak. And I am an employer.

Completely different in this situation. We as the supporters should be seen as the employer. Without us the club can't survive...

He wouldn't seem weak if he pulled the deal, as it would be to satisfy us supporters. We keep the club running and are the ones that will continue to do so for years to come. You can't really compare this to a normal company. Sure, you can between the chairman and the manager, yet you can't class us as 'staff'.

There are only 2 managers who would have satisfied the fans Ancelotti and Moyes. Both of which there have been strong signals that they did not want to come.

Would managers of any ilk be happy to come to the club that if the supporters are booing them after the second game then the owner would sack them??

We are not the employer. This is not a co-operative, this is not Barca.

My own opinion is that we have become spoilt by the amount of access to the board we have had. I think that was a big mistake on the boards part.

It has made us feel that we too entitled. Our job is to support the club. We are all entitled to an opinion and express it but when we demand that the Chairman keeps turning down who he believes is the best man for the job until we are all happy on one, then that is too far.

Agree with this... something strange has happened over the last few weeks. Suddenly supporters think we are part of some democratic elective, where our input has some relevance other than creating an 'atmosphere' where our team plays. When was this ever the case?

Which manager before was ever a supporters choice? A brief middle eastern type dawn, has flashed past and guess what the status quo has re-established itself. Our wholey owned club has selected a manager for itself. For better or worse this is what has always happened we are deluded if we think otherwise. And as in all marriages we will either stand together or just walk away when times get tough.

I dont agree with the appointment ( if it ever happens .. yawn ) but I am a Villa supporter I have seen this team playing in the old third division I know what bad times are and I did not leave then and I am not leaving now !

Completely different in this situation. We as the supporters should be seen as the employer. Without us the club can't survive...

He wouldn't seem weak if he pulled the deal, as it would be to satisfy us supporters. We keep the club running and are the ones that will continue to do so for years to come. You can't really compare this to a normal company. Sure, you can between the chairman and the manager, yet you can't class us as 'staff'.

Actually, Sky keep the club running, matchday income is bugger all compared to TV money.

Fans are stakeholders, in business stakeholders are considered, but the business comes first, I believe this is a brave decision by Randy, but do you really think you can influence him ?

Actually, do you really want aboard that is influenced by the fans ? I mean really ????