• Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least we know now that the 5 year plan is to hire Alex McLeish. Woohoo.

That would be the BRIGHT future part then?

At least Eames is of the opinion that with the appointment of Mc Leish we're closing in on a Champions League spot lol

I've been thinking about this, as I don't usually like to come on here and make knee-jerk comments, but I really can't understand what the club are thinking. I would like to send a message such as the following to the General, but I'm sure he's being bombarded already.

McLeish may have 'proven Premier League experience', but first of all, why is this so important? As other posts have pointed out, managers such as Ancelotti, Wenger, Benítez, Mourinho, and Mancini had no Premier League experience and were successful. Although our club isn't at the level of the clubs that the aforementioned managers joined (when they did), it nevertheless goes to show these 'big' clubs were happy to look abroad for their managers.

Secondly, McLeish may have experience of the Premier League, but in his time as Birmingham manager - which was his only Premier League job - the club were relegated twice. Despite the League Cup success this year, and guiding Birmingham to ninth last season, these achievements are undoubtedly overshadowed by relegation. He certainly doesn't seem to offer stability. Admittedly, this may be due to problems at a higher level within the club, which partially explains his resignation. However, despite operating on a wage bill much smaller than Villa's, it cannot be argued that McLeish wasn't supported financially: over the last two seasons, Birmingham's net spend was £36.525m. Surely, this should be enough to avoid relegation? McLeish finished ninth in the 09-10 season, spent just under £20m (net) on new players - more than every other club in the league apart from Chelsea and Manchester City - in the following two transfer windows, only to see the club relegated in 10-11. This does not suggest that McLeish is a suitable candidate to offer stability (and, as the fans would like, progression) at a club who are apparently trying to reduce their spending so as to comply with the UEFA financial fair play rules.

McLeish's achievements elsewhere are hardly outstanding, either. He did well as Scotland manager, but ultimately they failed to qualify for Euro 2008. In his five years as Rangers manager, he won the Scottish Premier League twice, which is decent but far from outstanding in a weak league north of the border. The fans turned against him towards the end of his tenure, resulting in his departure.

It is also clear that the fans don't want him. Whist their views are clearly tainted by the fact that his last job was as manager of Birmingham, and admittedly the board and those who advise them will be much more aware of his positive connections with players and personal philosophies and managerial style, it is still clear that the majority fans would see him as an uninspiring appointment to say the least. Some may suggest that internet message boards and Facebook don't offer a fair view of all fans' opinions, but the reaction is so overwhelmingly negative that, without doubt, season ticket sales and attendances (and consequently the club's revenue) will decrease. Villa fans have endured seeing the club move between being relegation candidates, boring mid-table obscurity, and the pain of almost pushing on and qualifying for the Champions League. Whilst the latter was an exciting appearance, resulting in increased attendances and a better atmosphere around the club, for which we have Randy and his team to thank, it ended once again in a season of heartbreak for Villa fans. It is perfectly understandable that the club could not sustain this push without putting its future at risk, particularly in light of the emergence of Manchester City and, to a lesser extent, Tottenham. However, the appointment of McLeish would be seen by fans as a signal of the club's declining ambition, for many of the reasons mentioned above. Additionally, it would seem that we no longer have exciting football to look forward to either. With Ashley Young on the verge of leaving - possibly followed by Stewart Downing, with the club doing nothing to convince the fans that he himself will be convinced to stay for more than another season - we lose much of our flair and creativity, something which McLeish is not known for either. Arguably, many fans would accept mid-table finishes if we are at least entertained by exciting football, but the there seems to be little potential of even this.

Whilst the board is rightly applauded for conducting its business privately, the club statement on McLeish does nothing to convince the fans that McLeish is a good appointment. In order to even begin to sway the attitudes of the supporters, Aston Villa must issue a very good explanation to the fans as to why this man would be considered a good appointment. Particularly after what many see - rightly or wrongly - as the board not being adequately prepared to replace Gérard Houllier, they have to explain what many, including much of the media, see as a strange and uninspiring potential appointment. Whilst no fan should expect to know the internal processes of a club, they have the right to be offered a decent explanation regarding the thoughts behind such a move.

I, for one, hope that the board sees that this man is not the right candidate for the job. This may be purely in the eyes of the fans, but the fans are the life-blood of the football club. Most of us don't really expect us to get the likes of Carlo Ancelotti or even David Moyes, but we also don't expect us to hire Alex McLeish either. Being an ex-Birmingham City manager may not mean that McLeish would do a bad job but, short-sighted and biased or not, he would be a very unpopular appointment and none of the reasons above justify any reason for the fans to feel otherwise.

Some people need to get their priorities in order.

Moaning about some div scrawling graffiti that has already been cleaned off while ignoring someone pissing on the entire fanbase.

Don't get distracted, the graffiti was cleaned up in half an hour, the stain that AM would cause to the club will take years to clean up!

Whos pissing on the fan base?

If you need me to explain, your on the wrong forum.

Could turn very ugly tonight indeed

If only. It'll be 100+ standing round in the rain looking sheepish, whilst Sky interview ASBO from Erdington telling the world how 'we was better off under Ellis' and 'why didn't we bovver getting Mourinho?'

Can't wait.

Expenditure under McLeish at Birmingham City in the last 3-4 years.

*2007/08 = - £17,9m

notable signings;

McSheffrey(Cov) 5.2m

Jerome(Cardiff) 4m

Radhi Jaidi(Bol) 2.8m

Rowan Vine(Luton) 2.8m

Larsson(Ars) 1.3m

Kelly(Spurs) 1.4m

-------------

*2008/09 = + £6m (net).

Notable signings;

Marcus Bent 1.3m

Various free trans incl Phillips, Fahey, Carsley.

Sale of Muamba 5.6m

--------------

2009/10 = - £17.5m

notable signings;

Johnson(Cardiff) 5.1m

Dann(Cov) 3.5m

Gardner(Villa) 3m

Míchel(Gijon) 2.9m

Ferguson(Rangers) 1m

------------

2010/11 = - £22m

notable signings;

Foster(United) 6.1m

Zigic(Val) 6.1m

Jiranek(Moscow) 500k

Beausejour(Amer) 4.2m

Davies(Villa) 3.5m

I can't make any of these sums add up?! :?

At least Eames is of the opinion that with the appointment of Mc Leish we're closing in on a Champions League spot lol

Don't recall saying that..... please find the quote where I siad that appointing AM would get us into a CL spot.....

Have to admit that Randy has made Doug look quite slik. Not sure if RL is getting bad advice or what, but I find it hard to believe that our present situation has somehow been engineered unwittingly by RL and his team. We seem to be experts at grasping a bad situation from a good one. I still believe RL is the best thing to happen to Villa, but I think we are in full Knee jerk reaction mode now, and scrambling to regain our reputation. Would not be bothered by the circus at the moment if we got a result, but all this fuss and bother for Macleish. Would rather take a gamble.

The chains of security are the chains that bind you (Karl Marx).

Still cant see AM being appointed, it just doesnt add up. Why oh why would RL commit PR suicide!?!?

Randy is in business, the fans are the clients, if you upset the client your turnover decreases etc etc.

Cant see, still think it will be Hughes on the 1st July and they are just interviewing AM.

I hope you're right. However, I think Hughes is nailed on to go to Chelski.

Don't recall saying that..... please find the quote where I siad that appointing AM would get us into a CL spot.....

I said I thought that we were in decline and you said you thought we were better placed now to challenge for a CL spot????

Expenditure under McLeish at Birmingham City in the last 3-4 years.

*2007/08 = - £17,9m

notable signings;

McSheffrey(Cov) 5.2m

Jerome(Cardiff) 4m

Radhi Jaidi(Bol) 2.8m

Rowan Vine(Luton) 2.8m

Larsson(Ars) 1.3m

Kelly(Spurs) 1.4m

-------------

*2008/09 = + £6m (net).

Notable signings;

Marcus Bent 1.3m

Various free trans incl Phillips, Fahey, Carsley.

Sale of Muamba 5.6m

--------------

2009/10 = - £17.5m

notable signings;

Johnson(Cardiff) 5.1m

Dann(Cov) 3.5m

Gardner(Villa) 3m

Míchel(Gijon) 2.9m

Ferguson(Rangers) 1m

------------

2010/11 = - £22m

notable signings;

Foster(United) 6.1m

Zigic(Val) 6.1m

Jiranek(Moscow) 500k

Beausejour(Amer) 4.2m

Davies(Villa) 3.5m

I can't make any of these sums add up?! :?

The total expenditure is correct but I havnt listed the nominal fee's or small trans fee stuff. Ive just listed the notable signings.

If you want a list of everything he bought and sold you can check it out on this site;

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/aston-villa/transfers/verein_405.html

This link will send you to Villa's transfer dealings.. Just search Birmingham in the left corner if you want to check out Brum's whole transfer dealings..

The site covers all clubs.

I said I thought that we were in decline and you said you thought we were better placed now to challenge for a CL spot????

No no no. No paraphrasing and taking the quotes out of context.

What I said was I felt we were better placed to get into a CL spot than we were 5 years ago before RL took over the club.

Get your facts straight please.

Unless a crowd of multiple thousands turn up at the planned protest it will be rather futile and enable the board to state that it was only a handful of fans who objected to appointing AM.

what time will you be there ?

I think he is quite frankly the worst possible candidate for the job and will show that Randy Lerner's ambition for the club is shot and care is gone for the fans if he goes through with the appointment. It would also say to me he's looking to sell up and cut his losses soon. It makes no sense from a financial point of view, let alone a PR one. Very strange.

No no no. No paraphrasing and taking the quotes out of context.

What I said was I felt we were better placed to get into a CL spot than we were 5 years ago before RL took over the club.

Get your facts straight please.

Do you really believe that?? Personally I don't think we will finish in that top 6 again for many many years let alone ever challenge for 4th spot

If you beleive we will then good on you

Is it ok to say our board have officially lost the plot now? I'm beyond **** dissappointed, thisis ridiculous!
As nothing has actually happened yet, no I don't think it is quite yet. You mightn't have to wait long though if the media are right.