Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

11 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well it is a hoover isn’t it ?  Can’t imagine myself saying to the wife” Eh love I’m just going to get the Dyson out “ 

There was a bloke who worked down our place he was kind of staff and was mostly off the tools so he’d drive about in a company vehicle . Then he bought a jaguar car and every time he’d need something from the car he’d say “ I’m just going to the Jag to get something “ 

Yeah, that's odd.  I knew someone who always referred to their car as The Volvo. Weird. 

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

When I wake at night with a dry mouth and I can't be arsed to get out of bed, I just think about Opal Fruits to make my mouth water, such is the conditioned reflex.

If that doesn't work I move on to Garner's pickled onions.

Its not quite À la recherche du temps perdu, but it's a start.

Come to Villatalk for the Proust jokes.

I'd like to see that on a Blues or Baggies forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Well it is a hoover isn’t it ?  Can’t imagine myself saying to the wife” Eh love I’m just going to get the Dyson out “ 

Its a vacuum, unless its a Hoover :) 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

What the politics of footlocker are and why protestors hate them so much 

They would be better spending the $200m putting metal bars on their windows and doors, instead of funding an 'outreach' program. 

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

Its a vacuum, unless its a Hoover :) 

Nah, they're all hoovers (small 'h'). 

Same as sellotape, and countless other trade names that have become generic. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, that's odd.  I knew someone who always referred to their car as The Volvo. Weird. 

That is actually slightly more bearable than people who give their car a name and a gender, and talk about it in anthropomorphic terms.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is actually slightly more bearable than people who give their car a name and a gender, and talk about it in anthropomorphic turns.

There are guitarists who give their guitars names, too. Probably started by B. B. King's Lucille, Clapton (and Harrison)'s Lucy and Keef's Micawber. 

Weird. 

Just now, mjmooney said:

There are guitarists who give their guitars names, too. Probably started by B. B. King's Lucille, Clapton (and Harrison)'s Lucy and Keef's Micawber. 

Weird. 

Willie Nelson's Trigger had its own Wikipedia page. 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2023 at 09:58, MakemineVanilla said:

Some people still call their Dyson vacuum cleaner the "hoover", so you'll need to wait a bit longer.

Ah that’s not quite the same, hoover became a colloquialism for any brand of vacuum cleaner very early on in the invention's life cycle. It didn’t matter what brand it was, they were all hoovers. Helped I guess by the brand's semi-descriptive qualities in relation to the action of using it.

But I do get exactly what you are saying it’s like naming rights and event spaces. The M&S Bank Arena in Liverpool was originally the Echo Arena, same in Manchester with the MEN Arena. Neither are called that now but it’s still what people call them locally. I never heard anyone refer to the Arena as the M&S Bank Arena. Huddersfield will always play at the McAlpine Stadium etc

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Huddersfield will always play at the McAlpine Stadium etc

Bradford City's ground changes its sponsor, and therefore its name, so frequently that none of them ever 'stick', so it remains Valley Parade. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Ah that’s not quite the same, hoover became a colloquialism for any brand of vacuum cleaner very early on in the invention's life cycle. It didn’t matter what brand it was, they were all hoovers. Helped I guess by the brand's semi-descriptive qualities in relation to the action of using it.

But I do get exactly what you are saying it’s like naming rights and event spaces. ThenArena in Liverpool was originally the Echo Arena, same in Manchester with the MEN Arena. Neither are called that now but it’s still what people call them locally. I never heard anyone refer to the Arena as the M&S Bank Arena. Huddersfield will always play at the McAlpine Stadium etc

Someone told me years ago that once something becomes a synonym for a particular gadget, it is a matter of law that it ceases to contravene copyright.

No doubt this must have been decided and established in case law.

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Bradford City's ground changes its sponsor, and therefore its name, so frequently that none of them ever 'stick', so it remains Valley Parade. 

It’d be exactly the same if VP was renamed. It'll never be anything other than VP

Its why I never understand the traditionalists objections to he idea. If some big company wanted to hand over wads of cash to call Villa Park the Opal Fruits Arena on all the fixture lists and force the TV companies to call it the same, who cares, it'll still be called VP 

There is a caveat of course, if Andrex wanted to sponsor the sty, I'd be all over that :crylaugh: 

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Someone told me years ago that once something becomes a synonym for a particular gadget, it is a matter of law that it ceases to contravene copyright.

No doubt this must have been decided and established in case law.

Trade Marks and Copyright are completely different forms of intellectual property rights.

For starters a Trade Mark must be registered whereas copyright exists on creation and doesn’t need to be registered.

36 minutes ago, bickster said:

Well I kinda was but more playfully as I doubted he’d know given his age.

If he was anything like my kids his dick head dad would have been telling him every 5 minutes that they used to be called Opal Fruits and that The Crown in Digbeth is the oldest building in Birmingham. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That is actually slightly more bearable than people who give their car a name and a gender, and talk about it in anthropomorphic terms.

Oh yeah. A guy I work with gave his car a girls name and talks of her like she's part of his family. 

This however is one of the less weird things about him. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

If he was anything like my kids his dick head dad would have been telling him every 5 minutes that the used to be called Opal Fruits and that The Crown in Digbeth is the oldest building in Birmingham. 

Thankfully most kids don’t grow up with shed envy :crylaugh: 

• Sad 1

Â