Paul Scholes Retires ...

AVFC-Prideofbrum

I flew in from the US for that game, never will I forget that goal. Remarkable strike, lousy performance by Villa.

Scholes undoubtedly the greatest Ginger to ever play the game and on that note: Greatest Ginger sportsman ever? Will Rooney steal the crown or does Boris Becker trump them all?

Rooney's not ginger is he?

I flew in from the US for that game, never will I forget that goal. Remarkable strike, lousy performance by Villa.

Scholes undoubtedly the greatest Ginger to ever play the game and on that note: Greatest Ginger sportsman ever? Will Rooney steal the crown or does Boris Becker trump them all?

Ah yes I remember it well, what an amazing strike it was.

I was in the Upper Trinity that day level with him when he hit it and stood up and clapped it was that good.

I think I would have got some stick from people thinking I was a Utd fan if it hadn't been for the fact I'd been so vocal screaming abuse at our RB that night for being shite.

I don't quite understand how Scholes is so highly rated.

Don't get me wrong I think he was a good player.

But I don't think he was as good as Gerrard.

Maybe it's because I watched him after he had peaked (can't really remember him playing for England.)

Also I prefer Gerrard because he played a lot more for England.

I can remember a period when Scholes always used to score, like he was the old Lampard.

But yeah, I think he was good, but not that good.

For me Gerrard was better.

Maybe it's because I watched him after he had peaked (can't really remember him playing for England.)

I can remember a period when Scholes always used to score, like he was the old Lampard.

Gerrard isn't fit to lace Scholes' boots.

Read the quotes from some true greats about Scholes posted earlier in this thread. You won't hear anybody talking that way about Steven Gerrard any time soon. Scholes is of his position in his generation.

Read the quotes from some true greats about Scholes posted earlier in this thread. You won't hear anybody talking that way about Steven Gerrard any time soon. Scholes is of his position in his generation.

I don't quite understand it.

Was Scholes amazing when he was in his 20s?

I've only watched him when he was in his 30s.

And Gerrard was better...

I don't quite understand it.

Was Scholes amazing when he was in his 20s?

I've only watched him when he was in his 30s.

And Gerrard was better...

In his prime, other than tackling which he never mastered and which sometimes let him down, every aspect of his game was up there with the very best in the world.

I think he if ever learnt to tackle he would be considered one of the all time great midfielders of the game, he was that good.

Then you are totally and utterly wrong.

Yeah Scholes was a brilliant player and in is tackling is awful but he never needed it in his priKeane protected him. Only when Keane left his tackling or lack of became noticeable.

He is the best English player of his generation and definitely in the top. His passing, stamina, timing, vision and shooting were amazing. His abilities would be appreciated in more technical football countries like Holland or Spain for example.

Then you are totally and utterly wrong.

Just my humble opinion.

Alan Shearer said on 5 Live earlier, that the best compliment he could pay Scholes is that he would walk into the Barca side that played on Saturday. It does make me laugh that at a time when people are asking why England don't have players like Iniesta and Xavi, we had one in Paul Scholes, and we played him on the left wing to accommodate Lamplard and Stevie Me!

Alan Shearer said on 5 Live earlier, that the best compliment he could pay Scholes is that he would walk into the Barca side that played on Saturday. It does make me laugh that at a time when people are asking why England don't have players like Iniesta and Xavi, we had one in Paul Scholes, and we played him on the left wing to accommodate Lamplard and Stevie Me!

Still think he retired too early from international but can't say i blame him really for those reasons.

We had a gem and we wasted him can't really blame the guy for getting sick of it and calling it a day.

Its perhaps why he has a happy family life and until last week was playing at the very very peak of the domestic game well into his 30's when others have been forced to quit years earlier.

Scholes was miles ahead of his follow pro's mentally and it showed both on and off the pitch.

You only have to look at what some of the very best players of the last 10-15 years have said about him to know just how good he was.

As nauseating and often out of context alot of those quotes are, theres no doubt Scholes had more fans in yurp then here in England. Here we like a battler, a runner, whereas people like Xavi absolutely adore the bloke. Scholes of a few years ago would have looked at home in the current Barca midfield.

A great player, but my overriding memory of Paul Scholes, would be that picture of him at the FA Cup Final with his knob hanging out.

Cant say he is a great player, he is good, but not great. But yes unfortunately that pic of the FA cup appearance....

Â