Paul Scholes Retires ...

AVFC-Prideofbrum

One of the few Man Utd players who didn't come across as a complete arse, until he stepped out onto the pitch at which point he became a dirty little ****.

Still, played a big part in their success over the last decade and was one of England's top players for a number of years.

Man Utd have some serious rebuilding to do.

The best English midfielder of his generation by a distance. The likes of Diving Gerrard and Fat Frank aren't fit to lace this guys boots. If he ever managed to learn how to tackle he would have been one of the true greats, sadly he never managed to.

my memory of him will be the stupid tackle that led to ronaldinhos goal in 2002...

great player, his passing range was insane, agree he was better than lampard and gerrard will ever be, shame he quit england, though i doubt utd fans see it that way

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

David Beckham :"He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from some of those players is great."

Xavi : "In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen — the most complete — is Scholes. I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

‘He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn’t give possession away. If he had been Spanish then maybe he would have been valued more."

Wiggy, you can add Xavi quotes to that list. He had some very kind words for Scholes a couple of months ago.

I think Scholes is a player who we've taken fro granted over the years. He's always been there, and he's always been that good so I don't think we've quite appreciated just how good he is/was.

Brilliant player, great career.

Wiggy, you can add Xavi quotes to that list. He had some very kind words for Scholes a couple of months ago.

I think Scholes is a player who we've taken fro granted over the years. He's always been there, and he's always been that good so I don't think we've quite appreciated just how good he is/was.

Brilliant player, great career.

Done mate, i agree with everything you said. If he had been Spanish or Brazilian, he would be worshipped as Kaka or Xavi are.

Fantastic player,

Properly the end of an era. The most complete midfielder the Premier League has ever seen and one of the best midfielders of his generation. Never quite mastered the sliding tackle but got it right on occasion :) That he is so respected and revered by basically all of his peers speaks volumes to anyone who doubts it. And to add to that what others have said, he wasn't a cock either. Which is nice. Oh and aswell as being ginger, he suffered terribly from asthma.

I'm disappointed his hasn't kept to his word and ended his career with Oldham! But definiely the right time to go.

Great Player and the man England should have built the team round instead of playing him left wing.

He was a great player and United will hopefully struggle to replace him. Never any stupid stories around him either. I wouldn´t call him the complete midfielder though.

Bad at tackling (10+ red cards) and as 1-legged as most leftfooted players mean he had something to work on. His right was pure quality to be fair.

I flew in from the US for that game, never will I forget that goal. Remarkable strike, lousy performance by Villa.

Scholes undoubtedly the greatest Ginger to ever play the game and on that note: Greatest Ginger sportsman ever? Will Rooney steal the crown or does Boris Becker trump them all?

Â