Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Without Bent we struggle to score. Simples really.....if sold in jan I fear for our prem survival

Pretty much this. Who is going to replace Bent's goals? Benteke :lol: .

We'd pretty much sign our death warrant if we sold him. Bent is still by far our only quality player left and Lambert should have built his new team around Bent's strengths rather than asking him to fit into a system which clearly doesn't suit.

I can't see any good coming out of the sale of Darren Bent. Our form nosedived when he was out of the team last year - and the games he has been ' dropped' this season we haven't scored.

I can't believe this is a football decision - after Lamberts spree in the summer it may always have been the plan to sell Bent to balance the books. Quite simply if we sell Bent our chances of relegation increase dramatically - we don't have another forward the scores as many goals as Bent.

It matters not if Lambert gets the money - a lower half prem league club, not paying big wages - won't land a better striker than Bent.

If this sales goes ahead the management of Aston Villa will only have themselves to blame for what follows

I can't see any sale until next summer. Like it or not come the January 13 window, we won't be in a safe position (certainly judging by the fixtures in Nov & Dec).

It would be madness on an epic scale. Then again can we trust Lerner & Faulkner.

• Like 1

I am not blind to Bents faults, but given our current situation, I think it would be crazy to sell him till we have a proven alternative - Benteke is definitely not that yet.. For that matter I cannot understand why Bent was dropped. For all his faults he can score goals and could be the difference that keeps us in the premier League.

If its workrate that Lamberts after - I don't see that Benteke gives that much more than Bent.

Its all to do with Money. I have never envisaged Bent signing a new contract with us - so his departure is something we have to prepare for - but we don't have anything approaching a replacement at this point in time

• Like 1

I really don't see why Benteke cant be seen as a replacement? Hes younger, offers more and was a lot cheaper on a lot less wages. Darren Bent has been at times very good, but at times woeful. In terms of consistently being value for money - it just has not happened regularly enough. By no means a 24m player in that sense. Probably worth the money because we quite possibly could have gone down without his goals. Who knows?

However, we have hardly pulled up trees with him in the side (under 3 managers now) and I don't like his whinging that has been reported. I dont mean that Bent is to blame for any of the past 2 seasons - but there really is life without him. After all, we won the european cup without him.

I will be neither pleased nor pissed off should he be sold. More an indication of the horrific time we have had as a team while he has been here, rather than my sole opinion on Darren Bent himself.

Also for those that call Bent "average" what does that make Gabby then?

Below Average. Awful over the last 2 years in fact.

Whats your point?

Loads of crap being talked on here. He's a goalscorer. Whether he smashes them in from long range or has an uncanny instinct for tap ins, it matters not - he's a goalscorer.

People with the ability of RVP don't play for clubs like Villa. If we can unearth another Ba or Cisse then fine, but these players don't come around very often and I feel that they won't be at Newcastle in the long term; they'll play for bigger/more successful clubs.

Bent was attainable for a club like ours because he's of our level. If we give him the service then he'll score goals. If we don't treat him like a word removed then I believe he'll be a good, long lasting servant to the club.

I don't trust Gabby or Benteke one bit to provide the score the amount that Bent could score.

• Like 1

I really don't see why Benteke cant be seen as a replacement? Hes younger, offers more and was a lot cheaper on a lot less wages. Darren Bent has been at times very good, but at times woeful. In terms of consistently being value for money - it just has not happened regularly enough. By no means a 24m player in that sense. Probably worth the money because we quite possibly could have gone down without his goals. Who knows?

However, we have hardly pulled up trees with him in the side (under 3 managers now) and I don't like his whinging that has been reported. I dont mean that Bent is to blame for any of the past 2 seasons - but there really is life without him. After all, we won the european cup without him.

I will be neither pleased nor pissed off should he be sold. More an indication of the horrific time we have had as a team while he has been here, rather than my sole opinion on Darren Bent himself.

Below Average. Awful over the last 2 years in fact.

Whats your point?

Benteke hasn't yet proven himself to be a consistent goalscorer like Bent has.

Loads of crap being talked on here. He's a goalscorer. Whether he smashes them in from long range or has an uncanny instinct for tap ins, it matters not - he's a goalscorer.

People with the ability of RVP don't play for clubs like Villa. If we can unearth another Ba or Cisse then fine, but these players don't come around very often and I feel that they won't be at Newcastle in the long term; they'll play for bigger/more successful clubs.

Bent was attainable for a club like ours because he's of our level. If we give him the service then he'll score goals. If we don't treat him like a word removed then I believe he'll be a good, long lasting servant to the club.

I don't trust Gabby or Benteke one bit to provide the score the amount that Bent could score.

Absolutely. I'll be seriously peeved if we sell Bent. The fire sale of good players at this club is a **** embarrassment to be honest and completely tramples on any notion of us being a big club. If Bent follows we may well go down. I can;t understand why this is happening. If it's the manager he needs to get a grip but if it's the chairman he needs to get out.

Benteke hasn't yet proven himself to be a consistent goalscorer like Bent has.

No of course not, but hes only 21. Ive seen enough to suggest that he has potential. Paul Lambert obviously prefers him to Bent and I can see why to be honest. We have spoke before about how limited Darrens game is.

I dont think Lambert will be looking to replace Bent. I think he will be looking to make a vast improvement on him. The poster above says that we got Bent because he is/was our level. Well I want our level to be above that. And I get the impression Lambert does too.

I dont think Lambert will be looking to replace Bent. I think he will be looking to make a vast improvement on him. The poster above says that we got Bent because he is/was our level. Well I want our level to be above that. And I get the impression Lambert does too.

Such an incredibly deluded statement. A level above Bent? The guy is comfortably a top 8 player, and the only one in our squad.

Such an incredibly deluded statement. A level above Bent? The guy is comfortably a top 8 player, and the only one in our squad.

Id like to know what your basing that on?

Perhaps its all the times Darren Bents actually finished in the top 8? Not many. Playing for shit teams though?? Yep - Il give you that. But Strange how he never gets bought by good teams. Strange how Harry Redknapp couldnt wait to get rid of him before taking Tottenham into the champions league.

But lets say your point was proven (which its not) - I believe we should and that Lambert is (in the long run) aiming for higher than top 8.

The one thing I find interesting is that Arry didn't rate him.

Didn't he say something along the lines of his wife was a better finisher ?

yes he did, because Darren Bent is as famous for his misses as he is his goals. A great finisher he is not, but he is great positionally which is why he scores goals. Hes not a top 8 player because I dont think he has ever been a regular starter for a top 8 team. For a guy rapidly approaching 29 thats a pretty mediocre record. he has scored alot of goals for not very good sides, but never, ever been picked up by a decent team, and as has been observed kicked out of Spurs as almost the first thing Harry did. Why? Why do the decent coaches (and I think lambert is just the latest in a long line) not rate him? Benteke misses chances too, but has already shown he has much more to offer in the long term, if fans are patient with him.

The one thing I find interesting is that Arry didn't rate him.

Didn't he say something along the lines of his wife was a better finisher ?

No, he didn't. He said his wife could have finished a chance that Bent missed. You know, in the same way that Benteke, who has apparently shown he can offer more than Bent (?!!!?), has missed two sitters that my missus could have easily scored.

i would rather have a player who concentrates on what he can do, such as being in and around the box getting into positions to score and more often than not, scoring than someone who runs around like a headless chicken wasting all his energy on doing little to nothing but apparently 'working hard' .

its very school playground to think that you are a good player if you run lots and lots and seem to try more, being a good player isnt about seeing how many times you can run up and down a pitch.

i dont recall lineker racing around holding the ball up tackling, or ian rush , infact most of the top goal scorers are allowed to play THEIR game and the attacks are based around those players skills and attributes

bent cost £18 million for a reason, he is one of the best finishers in the english top division, mat letis didnt play for any big team, was he shit? steve bull banged the goals in at all levels, was he shit? he must have been as he only played for 'small' clubs.

why dont we bring back djemba x2? after all he played for utd so he must be good?

if people dont like bent fine, but please stop with the bull shit that he is not a good footballer or a top finisher

• Like 1

Â