Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

Last season he showed his strength - when he gets supply, he is one of the league's most consistent goalscorers; this season he's demonstrated his limitations - other than when the ball is played in & around the opposition's six-yard box, having Bent in the team is much like playing with 10 men. Which is why he's never been bought by one of the Champions League clubs.

I'd be okay with selling him on three conditions:

-we get back at least what we paid

-we invest a bit of that money into getting a good manager

-we invest all the rest in letting the new manager buy some decent players

As they are very unlikely to be met, I think it would be a bad move.

Gabby's an all-round better player IMO. While Dazza's contributions are not void if he doesn't score (as some would say), as he makes defenders think about what they're doing off-the-ball, but in terms of all-round contribution, Gabby's miles better. He arguably isn't that much worse of a finisher either. The only thing which Dazza has on Gabby is movement, which is world class when he's up for it (which he clearly isn't at the moment).

if he nipped out shopping in the 2nd half then i don't blame him :lol:

and i bet the majority who were slagging him off for it either left the game half hour early themselves or couldn't even be bothered to turn up.

... This is a tired arguement (and I hate wheeling it out) but said fans probably werent being paid £70,000 over the past 7 days to be there either.

It's pretty clear that his heart isnt in it anymore, ofcourse you can justify him not being at the game, but it's entirely typical of his attitude towards the club.

I refuse to believe we'd be better off by selling Bent. Surely the fix to a proven goal scorer not scoring goals because of a lack of supply, is to fix the supply line, not sell up for another striker.

It's far less expensive to buy a striker who contributes to team play, than buying virtually an entire new midfield.

I agree though.

1) Don't see the big deal with the shopping incident. If you're off work you don't go in to watch everyone else. Don't mention wages as it's all relative.

2) Selling Bent, great idea since selling all our other English internationals has made us so much better.

3) How about we have clear out but build a team around the likes of Bent and Gabby. If we 'd signed Bent instead of Heskey we'd have qualified for the CL, I'm pretty certrain of that. I admit that he's not been great this season but who has (gabby aside)? If we had a midfield that could get a grip of a game, protect a vunerable defence and provide ammo then we'd be fine. Thing is we've replaced a midfield of Milner, Barry, Downing and Young with Albrighton, N'Zogbia, Herd and Petrov and therein lies the problem.

Did Gabby add any value to the club by being at the ground... probably not but what he did show to the fans and the younger players on the bench was the level of commitment he shows to the club.

IMO Bent should have been there too, I mean I used to turn up and watch my Sunday team when I was injured and that was without being paid to do so, just to prove that I wanted to be there whether injured ot not (and also to prove it wasn't a mystery injury after a night on the sauce!!).

Exactly StanTheManisGod... Gabby being at the game is a good reflection of his dedication to the club, Bent not being there is an equally good indication of his own attitude.

Given was at Bolton away last week ffs.

I don't want to take it out on anyone. My personal feeling is that Bent hasnt looked particularly interested either on or off the pitch since the summer. This latest non-story is just another supporting arguement for this train of thought.

If you have an agenda, are paranoid then I suppose it is. If people just realised that our team is not good enough, are poorly managed and not set up to play to the strengths that we do have then you'd probably be much more relaxed about this non-story.

I can't see a corralation between delibrately playing poorly, displaying a perceived 'bad attitude' a lack of teamwork and being selected for a major international tournament. That would make no sense if you're suggesting he's doing the aforementioned to improve his chances.

Â