Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

I'm not really bothered about Bent compared to Rooney I must say. Fact is he has been brilliant since he has been with us and his goals have won us points that have certainly kept us out of trouble, possibly even kept us up. He is a proven goalscorer and one we have been craving for years.

If Bent scored goals and also made 50 yard defence splitting passes while also making last ditch tackles in defence as well as scoring goals he would not be playing here. That said I think he would score a hatful at any team in the PL.

Iget it as

Bent 165 games - 72 goals

Rooney 151 games - 75 goals

right, heres the stats from 2005/06 onwards. rooney's got one more. from the looks of the sub appearances though, id say he's had much more pitch time

Bent

2010/11 - Played 35, Scored 17

2009/10 - Played 38, Scored 24

2008/09 - Played 33 (12 as sub), Scored 12

2007/08 - Played 27 (16 as sub), Scored 6

2006/07 - Played 32, Scored 13

2005/06 - Played 36, Scored 18

Total - 201 (28 as sub), Scored 90

Rooney

2010/11 - Played 27 (2 as sub), Scored 11

2009/10 - Played 32, Scored 26

2008/09 - Played 30 (5 as sub), Scored 12

2007/08 - Played 27 (2 as sub), Scored 12

2006/07 - Played 35 (2 as sub), Scored 14

2005/06 - Played 36 (2 as sub), Scored 16

Total - Played 187 (13 as sub), Scored 91

Drogba

2010/11 - Played 36 (6 as sub), Scored 11

2009/10 - Played 32 (1 as sub), Scored 29

2008/09 - Played 24 (9 as sub), Scored 5

2007/08 - Played 19 (2 as sub), Scored 8

2006/07 - Played 36 (4 as sub), Scored 20

2005/06 - Played 29 (9 as sub), Scored 12

Total - Played 176 (31 as sub), Scored 85

Iget it as

Bent 165 games - 72 goals

Rooney 151 games - 75 goals

right, heres the stats from 2005/06 onwards. rooney's got one more. from the looks of the sub appearances though, id say he's had much more pitch time

Bent

2010/11 - Played 35, Scored 17

2009/10 - Played 38, Scored 24

2008/09 - Played 33 (12 as sub), Scored 12

2007/08 - Played 27 (16 as sub), Scored 6

2006/07 - Played 32, Scored 13

2005/06 - Played 36, Scored 18

Total - 201 (28 as sub), Scored 90

Rooney

2010/11 - Played 27 (2 as sub), Scored 11

2009/10 - Played 32, Scored 26

2008/09 - Played 30 (5 as sub), Scored 12

2007/08 - Played 27 (2 as sub), Scored 12

2006/07 - Played 35 (2 as sub), Scored 14

2005/06 - Played 36 (2 as sub), Scored 16

Total - Played 187 (13 as sub), Scored 91

Drogba

2010/11 - Played 36 (6 as sub), Scored 11

2009/10 - Played 32 (1 as sub), Scored 29

2008/09 - Played 24 (9 as sub), Scored 5

2007/08 - Played 19 (2 as sub), Scored 8

2006/07 - Played 36 (4 as sub), Scored 20

2005/06 - Played 29 (9 as sub), Scored 12

Total - Played 176 (31 as sub), Scored 85

Glad we got that cleared up.

I disagree with your time on the pitch though. Even if you gave Bent the benefit of turning all his sub appearance into - not playing, hed still only have played 1 less than Rooney. Surely his sub appearances add up to more than 90mins

Anyway, wel never be sad enough to work it out - BOF?????????

I have wanted Bent at this club since about 2005. This is the best thing Houllier has done for us, but given 24M I think I would have signed Bent.

Bent has brilliant for us and they are different players. Bent is the best we can hope for, not the best in the league or world but there is no shame in that.

agreed but he's definitely up there, for the record i have always said that he is world class which i still believe but i suppose it depends on your definition of world class

Bent has brilliant for us and they are different players. Bent is the best we can hope for, not the best in the league or world but there is no shame in that.

agreed but he's definitely up there, for the record i have always said that he is world class which i still believe but i suppose it depends on your definition of world class

You didnt answer my q SGC

Im interested to know how why when u use them stats to show Bent is better than others, you seem to ignore them when comparing him to Rooney??

I have wanted Bent at this club since about 2005. This is the best thing Houllier has done for us, but given 24M I think I would have signed Bent.

agree with the first bit, i have always rated him very highly but gh took a high risk gamble and to his credit, it has paid off

another couple of stats:

Bent

Shots/Goals Ratio - 0.22

Shots on Target Ratio - 0.59

Rooney

Shots/Goals Ratio - 0.12

Shots on Target Ratio - 0.57

Drogba

Shots/Goals Ratio - 0.15

Shots on Target Ratio - 0.53

You didnt answer my q SGC

Im interested to know how why when u use them stats to show Bent is better than others, you seem to ignore them when comparing him to Rooney??

i think this has been done to death now, in my opinion he is a better goalscorer than rooney, that is all

another couple of stats:

Bent

Shots/Goals Ratio - 0.22

Shots on Target Ratio - 0.59

Rooney

Shots/Goals Ratio - 0.12

Shots on Target Ratio - 0.57

Drogba

Shots/Goals Ratio - 0.15

Shots on Target Ratio - 0.53

Or his ability to miss the target :winkold:

What does it matter that he is only 2nd in the list. Going on those stats, surely he should be playing for a club that finishes 2nd. But he doesn't, he is a Villa player, will score goals for us if he gets the service and that should be that.

I can't see why there is any debate about Bent. Initially his fee seemed a lot, but inheinsite it is mere peanuts in comparison to what happened later on in January. Since then, he has scored 9 in 15, scoring 4 goals against the top 3 with a game against Liverpool to come.

This thread should be about praising all the work the guy does, not a debate about how good he should be, can be or whatever.

Agreed. I dont even know why people are talking about it. He's not going anywhere and he's a good goal scorer. This thread has been on repeat since January and its bloody tiring.

This thread should be about praising all the work the guy does, not a debate about how good he should be, can be or whatever.

So we should never look for him to improve??

Or point out when he doesnt perfrorm??

Strange how we dont do that with all players??

There really is a will on here to avoid saying anything negative about the fans favourite.

Darren Bent earns 70,000 a week and if he has a bad game, then he should be looking for ways not to have a bad game. Why cant we as well??

Isn't this thread about talking about Darren Bent, all things included?

The fact that people keep bringing it up, surely means that people want to talk about it, else everyone would ignore their comments.

There really is a will on here to avoid saying anything negative about the fans favourite.

Darren Bent earns 70,000 a week and if he has a bad game, then he should be looking for ways not to have a bad game. Why cant we as well??

I didn't men you can't slate him if he has a bad game, but when has he for us? The times he has been 'poor' so to speak are the ones when he hasn't scored, and he hasn't scored because he has not been given the service that he needs.

What is the point in arguing about him not being the most prolific goalscorer in the PL, when in fact he is in the top 3 anyway, which is far higher than our current position in the table.

I'm trying to say, he won't adapt his game, he has no need to. He isn't the greatest of footballers, he is not like Rooney nor Drogba, but do the majority of us care? I'd say no. He scores goals when he is given the chance and that is good enough for me and a lot of other fans.

He isn't my favourite player at the club but from what I have seen of him so far there is very, very little to slate him about. FWIW, I slate Coker for not being able to play simple passes and not really offering much else other than being a bloody good defensive midfielder.

I bet people aren't giving Hernandez at Utd any stick. Yep, he is slightly younger but he offers the same to Bent. He just has someone around him called Rooney that does his work and his own work so it doesn't look as 'bad'.

Bent would probably score more goals if he was around better players. Oh well, what does it matter to us?

I didn't men you can't slate him if he has a bad game, but when has he for us? The times he has been 'poor' so to speak are the ones when he hasn't scored, and he hasn't scored because he has not been given the service that he needs.

What is the point in arguing about him not being the most prolific goalscorer in the PL, when in fact he is in the top 3 anyway, which is far higher than our current position in the table.

I'm trying to say, he won't adapt his game, he has no need to. He isn't the greatest of footballers, he is not like Rooney nor Drogba, but do the majority of us care? I'd say no. He scores goals when he is given the chance and that is good enough for me and a lot of other fans.

He isn't my favourite player at the club but from what I have seen of him so far there is very, very little to slate him about. FWIW, I slate Coker for not being able to play simple passes and not really offering much else other than being a bloody good defensive midfielder.

I bet people aren't giving Hernandez at Utd any stick. Yep, he is slightly younger but he offers the same to Bent. He just has someone around him called Rooney that does his work and his own work so it doesn't look as 'bad'.

Bent would probably score more goals if he was around better players. Oh well, what does it matter to us?

But nobody is slating him? Nobody is argueing over whether he is the best goalscorer in the league.

Were debating whether he is world class or not?

Were debating whether he has different parts to his games

were debating whether he could turn 9 goals in 15 games to 13 goals in 15 games and if so, how he might go about that.

If you and others fail to see that that is NOT slating him then them Im sorry, theres not a lot else I can do because to me its clear as day.

If you dont feel what we are debating is necessary then fine, thats your opinion - dont read the posts.

I happen to quite enjoy the debate as its one which focuses mostly on a positive rather than the drab negatives that flood this site. No ones slagging him off like they do Heskey, or Houllier. No ones saying that he needs to be doing better. Its the Darren Bent thread for god sake, were talking about Darren Bent, and apologies if my opinion is more in depth than 'I want to jizz on his face'.

Rant over

FWIW I disagree with in you in that he didnt score because of a lack of service. He had chances (very good chances) in both wigan games! Thats not me slating him btw, thats me disagreeing with your reasoning for him not scoring in games where he hasnt.

Â