Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

there are 4 or 5 top managers around who are for once, gettable and we have then got the time to intigrate them in and for them to bring in who ever they want.

what a golden opportunity to move onwards and upwards.

one final thought, IF we got hughes AND he did well, do you not think he would be man utd bound within another year when fergie leaves?

Who are the 'top' 4 or 5 managers that are gettable?

And Fergie won't be going anywhere for quite some time. But if that was what you're worried about, it will be just as true of any manager a Eric Geretss it is a player that makes a name for himself here, as we know only too well. If you're concerned about attracting the attention of clubs who are above us, we may as well not even try to compete at all. (I can't see Hughes at Utd though after managing City - much was written about that at the time he took the job at Eastlands)

top managers?

ancellotti, rijkaard, deschamps, Louis van Gaal, ranieri to name a few

then you have people like hiddink, gerets, jol and even the switz manager hitzfeld

and thats without spending much time checking who is wanting out of clubs or contracts or who is a free agent.

all are managers who would be good for our club

you can argue all day long whether they would come to our club but money talks in most cases nowdays and so does being treated fairly by your employer. a mix of decent pay and treated decently by randy should get us someone of the calibre of the above mentioned.

my expectations are high but not unrealistic with the majority of those names

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to know who the 7 people who voted for Big Sam are!?!?!

i was 1 of them, he's a very astute and underrated manager imo

Agreed.

I want to know who the 7 people who voted for Big Sam are!?!?!

i was 1 of them, he's a very astute and underrated manager imo

Agreed.

Would you feel the same if his name was Samùel Allerdez?

what a strange comment, i know what you're trying to say but why is it relevant? i don't care about the nationality of the manager, i just want him to do well for us

Sam is under-rated, not that I'd want him at Villa. Put it this way, I think he'll absolutely piss the championship with West Ham. Something that I wouldn't have said was a given under many others. Sam has a ceiling and I think he can get West Ham to being a stable midtable PL club. I think he'd do that with most clubs that took him on. I don't think he'd get you anywhere above that, which is fine for most, but not for Villa. So for a club with no ambitions of breaking the top 8, Sam is ideal.

you are possibly correct but he hasn't had any significant funds at any club he's been at, i would like to see what he can do with some ammunition

I don't get why, what are you expecting him to do, start playing attractive, good football that will take us on leaps and bounds?

Look at O'Neill, direct, wing play, target man at all his clubs. Nothing changes, even with money, we learned to keep the ball slightly better than his other teams but all the principles are the same, just a bit more glamerous. Instead of Steve Guppy onto Emile Heskey, it was Ashley Young in for John Carew.

If you are saying you'd have him because his style of play wins games then although personally it's not my cup of tea ...then at least that's a plausible explanation. Just think for a second though, if you geniunally believe with money, he'd try to play better football, then why would you appoint him? He's been managing for 15+ years and has never once played a passing, good football style football so if he were to completely change his ways and philosophies, he'd by completely starting a fresh and it'd be like giving a completely inexperience manager a go IMO. He doesn't know how to play that sort of game and that's why he has never done it.

I tend to think Mark Hughes sides have always played quite good football, although I don't think he's good enough for us. He managed Blackburn/Fulham, two sides he got playing good football and comfortably top 10 with teams that are hardly head and shoulders above what Big Sam has been in charge of.

His style his hideous, so it'd be absolutely laughable to appoint him on the basis 'he might play better football with more money' ....because simply put, Mark Hughes plays better football with him with similar squads and doesn't need huge money. (Blackburn/Fulham) I'm not even a Hughes fan, he'd by down 4th/5th on my list but he's a far better choice than Allardyce which I have no clue why people would want.

there are 4 or 5 top managers around who are for once, gettable and we have then got the time to intigrate them in and for them to bring in who ever they want.

one final thought, IF we got hughes AND he did well, do you not think he would be man utd bound within another year when fergie leaves?

And Fergie won't be going anywhere for quite some time. But if that was what you're worried about, it will be just as true of any manager a Eric Geretss it is a player that makes a name for himself here, as we know only too well. If you're concerned about attracting the attention of clubs who are above us, we may as well not even try to compete at all. (I can't see Hughes at Utd though after managing City - much was written about that at the time he took the job at Eastlands)

top managers?

then you have people like hiddink, gerets, jol and even the switz manager hitzfeld

and thats without spending much time checking who is wanting out of clubs or contracts or who is a free agent.

you can argue all day long whether they would come to our club but money talks in most cases nowdays and so does being treated fairly by your employer. a mix of decent pay and treated decently by randy should get us someone of the calibre of the above mentioned.

Your expectations are indeed high and completely unrealistic.

You specifically said 'gettable' and Ranieri and Jol are the only 'gettable' names on that list - and neither would inspire more confidence than Mark Hughes.

I like Jol but he only had one really good season at Spurs and the wheels then came off rather drastically. Hughes' overall record is better.

Ranieri would almost certainly be a repeat of the Houllier experiment - very nice guy, great technical knowledge, but would likely be found wanting trying to implement his ideas at Villa. I'm also not entirely sure he's got the hunger to start a project of thi size at this stage of his career and having been out of the Premier League for as long as he has now. His re-emergence on Sky and such like as a pundit in recent months seems suspiciously like a plea for someone to give him one last big payday - and that's a road we really don't want to go down.

The more and more I think about it I am warming to Hughes. He doesn't have the same pedigree as Ancelotti/Wilkins would but he would bring some stability to the club and you never know how well he could do after a few seasons here. Ancelotti and Wilkins are still my first choice though but wouldn't be disappointed with Hughes.

i don't care about the style of football as long as it produces results
you dont consistently win things playing shite though. Success is very much intertwined with the style you play

top managers?

Your expectations are indeed high and completely unrealistic.

You specifically said 'gettable' and Ranieri and Jol are the only 'gettable' names on that list - and neither would inspire more confidence than Mark Hughes.

I like Jol but he only had one really good season at Spurs and the wheels then came off rather drastically. Hughes' overall record is better.

Ranieri would almost certainly be a repeat of the Houllier experiment - very nice guy, great technical knowledge, but would likely be found wanting trying to implement his ideas at Villa. I'm also not entirely sure he's got the hunger to start a project of thi size at this stage of his career and having been out of the Premier League for as long as he has now. His re-emergence on Sky and such like as a pundit in recent months seems suspiciously like a plea for someone to give him one last big payday - and that's a road we really don't want to go down.

as i said, we could argue all day long about who out of that list of mostly avaliable managers , is gettable, such as you dont think ancellotti is gettable which seems odd as he is available?

i have named you more than 4 managers all of whom are not contractually obligated at this present time all of whom are better than hughes, more attractive to top players than hughes and better tactically, experience wise and so on.. than hughes

i would even take steven mclaren who i think is a grade 'a' cock, over hughes

Ive been mulling this over at work today and ive come up with the following in terms of who I think will get the job IF GH leaves..

Favourite;

* Hughes - for me this is really a no brainer, our board doesnt like stealing managers, hughes is out of contract so it very simple, the guy has a good track record and I think is at the right stage in his career to take villa places. This would be my preference, hes at a similar level managing fulham so a step to a club with bigger backing and bigger support would be a real oppurtunity.

Possibles;

* Ancelotti - for me this guy is too big for our club, we need an overhaul and im not really sure if hes the type of manager for us, id certainly give it a go because him and wilks would be a real promising team.

* Moyes - Dont think theres a cat in hells chance of getting this guy away from everton, he seems to have this ego about him managing everton and them supposedly going places, his record does speak volumes tho and no one would begrudge the move

* Martinez - another manager in prem management so an instant outside fav, knowing our board and there tendance to provide a shock I wouldnt be surprised if his name was on the shortlist. For me, needs a few more seasons at the top level.

Small Chancers;

*Jol - Premiership track record, not really sure our board would take the gamble though after the lastr 12 months.

*McClaren - As above really

Honeslty, Not Likely!;

* Deschamps - would be a real head turner and something I dont see coming, no prem track record? too big a gamble?

* Rjikard - as above really

So thats what I think, in my opinion I think hughes will be snapped up for his promise and the availability, I expect il be proven wrong because I didnt see GH getting the job in a million years

Do you believe Allardyce can take Villa into the top 4 with his style of football?

i don't think that mourinho could get us into the top 4

I think this thread should be renamed the "opinions are like arseholes" thread.

We all have them but some stink of shit worse than others.

you dont consistently win things playing shite though. Success is very much intertwined with the style you play

agreed but i think we need stability for the next few years and allardyce would provide that, i think we can forget about challenging for the top 6 for the forseeable future

i think mourinho could do everything, he is 10 times the manager fergurson is and in absolutely every team he has managed has he won something and been sucseesful. he would have won the **** league if he took over villa.