Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

I don'd understand how people are dismissing Ancelotti or Jol with such ease either.

Ancelotti is probably our only hope of being able to convince Downing / Young (unlikely) to stay, and if he wants to stay in England himself, then we are his best choice, by a distance.

Mate, dont even get them started, it's madness!

See, although I dont necessarily agree, I can sympathise with those who doubt we could attract him, but anyone questioning whether he'd be good for us is somewhat missing the point.

He would probably be the biggest appointment this club has ever made, Moustapha Salifou included.

Nothing to do with if we could or couldnt attract him, just down right that he is not the right man for the job. Reasons being he has only ever worked with table topping teams, world class stars and various other strange points.

Probably best we avoid Mourinho aswell then Wig. :lol:

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep i don't get it either, in terms of motivation alone if during training he tells you you're as good as almost anyone he played with/managed you'd be given a HUGE boost. remember he was at the center of one of the best club sides OF ALL TIME (sachi's milan, gullit, rijkaard, baresi, van basten, maldini etc etc) and has managed some of the greats of the modern era too.

Jo CSKA Mosc. £18,000,000 02 Jul, 2008

Tal Ben-Haim Chelsea Signed 30 Jul, 2008

Vincent Kompany Hamburg £6,000,000 22 Aug, 2008

Shaun Wright-Phillips Chelsea £9,000,000 28 Aug, 2008

Glauber Berti Nuremberg Free 31 Aug, 2008

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008

Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

Wayne Bridge Chelsea £12,000,000 03 Jan, 2009

Craig Bellamy West Ham £14,000,000 19 Jan, 2009

Nigel de Jong Hamburg Signed 21 Jan, 2009

Shay Given Newcastle Signed 01 Feb, 2009

There's some dodgy signings on that list!

I don'd understand how people are dismissing Ancelotti or Jol with such ease either.

Ancelotti is probably our only hope of being able to convince Downing / Young (unlikely) to stay, and if he wants to stay in England himself, then we are his best choice, by a distance.

Mate, dont even get them started, it's madness!

See, although I dont necessarily agree, I can sympathise with those who doubt we could attract him, but anyone questioning whether he'd be good for us is somewhat missing the point.

He would probably be the biggest appointment this club has ever made, Moustapha Salifou included.

Nothing to do with if we could or couldnt attract him, just down right that he is not the right man for the job. Reasons being he has only ever worked with table topping teams, world class stars and various other strange points.

Probably best we avoid Mourinho aswell then Wig. :lol:

Relegation would surely becon! :lol:

I got a sneaky feeling the Villa job could be the making of Hughes. Good solid squad to begin with. Funds to spend. A point to prove. A chairman that won't interfere.

I think if Citeh showed anything it's not his ability to get his teams playing, but that it's not all about what you spend.

?

i dont understand what you are saying?

are you saying he cant get teams playing?

he cant spend money wisely?

both?

neither?

he purchase the following at man city by the way

I'm saying that Citeh job showed that it's not necessarily about what you spend when it comes to judging a manager. He got citeh playing good football. I would think more attacking than he initially would have liked as he seems to me to be a manager who believes in getting it right at the back.

Plus he had that complete word removed Gary Cock to deal with.

I think Villa is the perfect club for Sparky to build something. He performed a minor miracle with the Welsh national side, got Blackburn up there, wasn't the disaster everyone thinks at Citeh, and has done a good job in his first season at Fulham. I think he'll do well, despite coming across as an arrogant tit at times. Maybe, just maybe Villa need a bit of arrogance.

PS. Sven signed Jo ;)

yep

add in robinho, £18 million on de jong who was available on a free transfer 3 months later and able to sign a precontract agreement in january with man city.

14 million on bellemy who did well for 1 season before being booted out of the club, given was 10 million i think?

some in principle seem or seemed good buys but the value for money from them has apart from kompany who was wanted by several clubs but man city paid the most wages and arguably de jong even at 18 million is a good player but for the sake of 3 months? £18 million? really?

every manager makes **** ups but when you can buy ANYONE in the world those signings havent been THAT good really.

Im still banging the Deschamp's drum...:)

"Deschamps, for the most part, has steered clear of the off-field shenanigans. The ex-Juventus, Chelsea and Valencia midfielder does his best to focus on the soccer and has succeeded in moulding a powerful team. Last season’s title-winning side was built around a solid defence that included Souleymane Diawara, Stéphane Mbia and ex-United player Gabriel Heinze. Lucho Gonzalez’s passing prowess and Mamadou Niang’s goals were also crucial.

Deschamps, however, is most of proud of changing the mentality at a club that had gained a reputation for being perennial losers. “It had been so long since Marseille had won anything, I knew the hardest trophy to win would be the first one,” he says. “That’s why beating Bordeaux (to win the League Cup) was so important. After that there was no fear.”

Having won the World Cup, the European Championship, two French titles, three Serie A titles and two Champions League crowns, Deschamps is one of the most successful players in history and commands respect. “I have that winning culture. It’s something I was born with and it’s important,” he stresses. “My role now is to pass that on to the players. But it isn’t easy in France. We’re so used to losing top players, there’s a bit of an inferiority complex.”

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

There's some pretty great signings on that list - and you can add Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry, and Joleon Lescott for good measure. The backbone of City's success last season.

every manager makes **** ups but when you can buy ANYONE in the world those signings havent been THAT good really.

Of course he couldn't sign anyone in the world. Did the Kaka attempt come under him? Doesn't really matter, that's pretty much the point. The best players in the world will not go to a newly very rich club like that and take a risk. And some of the players who will go will only do so for lots and lots of money. Man City are in a much more attractive position now than they were under Hughes.

+1 in the Pro Hughes camp if a WOW appointment isn't on offer. We might not be able to compete with the financial big boys but I don't think they'd look forward to playing us once he had some time at the helm, i.e. a season. I want some fight and passion or strength and honour as they say in Gladiator, (in addition to decent football) and Mark Hughes gives me the impression that his players would fight for him and get as close to honour as is possible in this day and age.

What does this mean?

From Cuellar's Twitter

Viendo a Nad-Sod Vamos Rafa!!!;-)

Edit: Meh, seemingly and predictably, nothing of importance as to who our next manager could be. At ease.

Pablo Zabaleta Espanyol Signed 31 Aug, 2008 Robinho Real Madrid £32,500,000 01 Sep, 2008

There's some pretty great signings on that list - and you can add Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry, and Joleon Lescott for good measure. The backbone of City's success last season.

Kompany is the only one on that list I'd call a great signing. I think they paid a fortune for De Jong when he was available on a free IIRC otherwise he'd be there as well.

I got a sneaky feeling the Villa job could be the making of Hughes. Good solid squad to begin with. Funds to spend. A point to prove. A chairman that won't interfere.

I think if Citeh showed anything it's not his ability to get his teams playing, but that it's not all about what you spend.

?

i dont understand what you are saying?

are you saying he cant get teams playing?

he cant spend money wisely?

both?

neither?

he purchase the following at man city by the way

I'm saying that Citeh job showed that it's not necessarily about what you spend when it comes to judging a manager. He got citeh playing good football. I would think more attacking than he initially would have liked as he seems to me to be a manager who believes in getting it right at the back.

Plus he had that complete word removed Gary Cock to deal with.

I think Villa is the perfect club for Sparky to build something. He performed a minor miracle with the Welsh national side, got Blackburn up there, wasn't the disaster everyone thinks at Citeh, and has done a good job in his first season at Fulham. I think he'll do well, despite coming across as an arrogant tit at times. Maybe, just maybe Villa need a bit of arrogance.

PS. Sven signed Jo ;)

hughes was manager 4th june, jo signed 1 month later.

SGE man city

got 55 points finishing 9th scoring 45 conceding 53

hughes £100 million plus later

got 50 points finishing 10th scoring 58 conceding 50

i wouldnt say that was a great return on 100 million pounds plus.

yep

add in robinho, £18 million on de jong who was available on a free transfer 3 months later and able to sign a precontract agreement in january with man city.

14 million on bellemy who did well for 1 season before being booted out of the club, given was 10 million i think?

some in principle seem or seemed good buys but the value for money from them has apart from kompany who was wanted by several clubs but man city paid the most wages and arguably de jong even at 18 million is a good player but for the sake of 3 months? £18 million? really?

Transfer fees at City are irrelevant - every purchase was hiked up because the selling clubs knew they could demand it. All Hughes could do was pinpoint the right players and in this regard he did a mostly excellent job. Kompany, in particular, has proven to be one of the best finds in the Premier League in recent times.