Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Well given that the general (rather depressing) consensus is that finishing 7th next season would be considered some sort of achievement, if we are to change I hope that we go for a manager who is entertaining and flamboyant himself or has the ability to produce a flamboyant and entertaining team.

I'm beginning to like the idea of Bernd Schuster. OK the guy has a history of falling out with boards, falling out with the media and being an advocate of the Kevin Keegan book on defensive tactics. However, he's played at the highest level, managed at the highest level (last man to lead Real Madrid to a La Liga title), would command respect of the players, has a big enough name and reputation to attract new players and would undoubtedly set the team up to play an exciting, attacking brand of football. Plus, he's available!

Very good post. High risk, high reward. He'd ship Dunne and Collins out soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo quickly!

I'm pretty sure the board aren't keen to take any risks at this point....

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Van Gaal for me, top pedigree, wont take any shit, will attract top players

Major League asshole, though, and I think Randy prefers more cerebral, less abrasive personalities. That's why Fat Sam or Martin Jol won't get the job either. It'll be someone like Klinnsman or Rijkaard.

Van Gaal would be quality.

If what you say is true about Randy then I doubt Rafael Benitez would get the job as well.

Major League asshole, though, and I think Randy prefers more cerebral, less abrasive personalities. That's why Fat Sam or Martin Jol won't get the job either. It'll be someone like Klinnsman or Rijkaard.

If what you say is true about Randy then I doubt Rafael Benitez would get the job as well.

I'm sure Rafa would be as good as gold for a reasonable, straight chairman like Lerner.

I'm sure Rafa would be as good as gold for a reasonable, straight chairman like Lerner.

... but not for an irrational, homosexual chairman like Hicks?

... but not for an irrational, homosexual chairman like Hicks?

Exactly :D

The French tactician has been missing from the dug out since being admitted to Birmingham's Queen Elizabeth hospital on 20th April suffering with a heart problem, and discharged nine days later.

There has been speculation over whether he will return to the helm at all but McAllister confirmed Houllier was on the mend and could be at Villa Park for the game with his former club.

However McAllister, who has served as caretaker for Villa's last three matches, says the French tactician will not be in the dugout at Villa Park for the game with his former club.

"Gerard is very good. I've seen quite a bit of him this week, and I've been speaking to him a great deal," said McAllister.

"I've been over and we ventured out and had a bit of lunch. He's up and about, certainly more free around the house, so he's good.

"There have been loads of conversations with (chief executive) Paul Faulkner, myself, getting on with things, preparing for next year.

"He won't be in the dugout (against Liverpool), but there might be a visit of such.

"Maybe there is a chance of it, although it's something we've not spoken about."

This week defender Luke Young voiced his concerns regarding the prospect of a summer of uncertainty at Villa Park should Houllier's absence be indefinite.

Dismissing such a possibility, McAllister said: "I can dispel that. Absolutely.

"Apart from not being fit enough to take training, he is certainly fit enough to be getting on with the business side of things, which you would do in the office after a training session.

"Every indication I've got from speaking to Gerard, how positive he is in his own mind and from all the things we've chatted about, is he is eager to go into the summer prepared for pre-season.

"As you can imagine there's quite a lot of work to be done. That's a fact.

"When you come to this end of the season, as much as people think it's a winding down for the club, there is a lot of preparation and stuff that needs to be set in place for next season.

"That entails people who are in our plans, and those who are not, people whose contracts we want to extend, those who are coming up to certain lengths of the contract they have left.

"So there are certainly a few things that need to be ironed out."

McAllister has confirmed Houllier is under 'no pressure in terms of time' as to when he will be back in his office.

"I think for everybody there will be a definite decision, but every indication from Gerard is that we are getting on with what we need to get on with at this moment in time," added McAllister.

Source -

Click me

Having read Skytext, useless Mack reckons Houllier could be back for the Liverpool game!! I'm getting concerned by the messages coming out of Villa park. I think Houllier is staying. Bugger!

Glad to know he's on the mend though.

McAllister has a vested interest in promoting a GED return

I wouldn't read too much into what he says

You'd have to say that when he gets his P45 in the next couple of weeks given what he has done here on top of the shit jobs he has done elsewhere that its highly unlikely he'll get another job coaching.

Agree, has he had success anywhere ?

I actually like some of his press conferences, seems level headed and sensible, but he just seems to wind players up

I read that article as laying groundwork for DOF/going upstairs. GM references the work outside of training, contracts, who is in / out of plans, moving onto the business of summer and spending a lot of time with Faulkner.

Not sure I am too bothered by him moving upstairs, as long as GM is not anywhere near the team. He seems like quite a flashpoint, and certainly without having been GED #2 would never have been considered on his own for Villa. May pave the way for a less experienced but up and coming manager who would welcome a guiding hand in GED for scouting, etc.

Does anyone have any sort of idea how much, if any, the lower league teams have in terms of scouting networks? It seems that this would be one area that a less experienced manager would struggle with, having relationships and a trusted network of scouts when moving to a bigger club.

This doesn't look good for Randy. The general was promising us action - before today I thought the worst case scenario was GH staying on a manager - but now a new nightmare seems to be unfolding - that of GH lurking in the background, sometimes well enough to attend other times masterminding things from his sick bed - and a combination of GMAC - and another minor appointment to appease the fans - Wilkins, Houghton , Southgate or someone of that ilk !

Wot a bloody mess - and one that will haunt Lerner - his ownership which started so promisingly - now looks set for mediocrity .......at best

This doesn't look good for Randy. The general was promising us action - before today I thought the worst case scenario was GH staying on a manager - but now a new nightmare seems to be unfolding - that of GH lurking in the background, sometimes well enough to attend other times masterminding things from his sick bed - and a combination of GMAC - and another minor appointment to appease the fans - Wilkins, Houghton , Southgate or someone of that ilk !

Wot a bloody mess - and one that will haunt Lerner - his ownership which started so promisingly - now looks set for mediocrity .......at best

The General can promise all he likes, sure he's not even around when the shit hits the fan, i wouldn't say it's his fault tbh, I'd say it's coming down the line to him..

How do you know this?