Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

billy davis

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

In case I've not made it clear yet, no!

I actually live within walking distance of their ground, attend some of their games and spend as much time in the presence of their fans as I do Villa ones and believe me he isn't the man we want or need.

If the board was competent enough, we wouldn't be in this situation.

By your posts i get the impression you not really a fan of anything currently at Villa however....

I'm hoping that you do realise that people make mistakes?

I think you'll struggle to find any club that has done things perfectly every time.

Sometimes it pays off other times it doesn't, its realising your mistake and moving on which makes all the difference. :)

It's not just a mistake. It's not just hiring Houllier although that's partly the reason. I mean when they hired Houllier, they said Premier League experience was required, but his been out of touch with it for 6 years. Why didn't they also ask him if he had a definite number 2 in place? That's just as important as hiring the manager. When more than 3 of his choices (he really should have had a definite choice) theyturned him down and went with Gary Mac (panic much?) who we know isn't really good enough for this level of football. Why would you appoint someone as manager who couldn't even make it to the first game because they still had some work to do in a different country. It seemed too messy and unprepared. There's also times where they could have sacked him and I'm sure anyone good enough would easily gotten us out of this mess with this group of players.

Before then, Randy allowed MON to run our club leading us to announce a major loss this year. Poor judgement on his part. So instead of rectifying the mistake by hiring a person with good financial skills AND football knowledge, he hires his friend (Paul Faulkner) who doesn't appear to have any qualifications as a CEO who hasn't shown any signs of pushing our club forward at this current time.

But still, it seems some are happy with the board that they've splashed out money despite the fact we've announced a massive loss this year, we're going backwards to the point of relegation contenders and also appear to be unsure on what to do next. Is GH staying or not? If it's not announced once this season is over, then they're just delaying the inevitable and I don't see why anyone would be happy with that.

dunno why, just think it will be Steve McLaren

He's my hunch too.

Some reasons why:

1. Available and would jump at the chance to come back to Premier League

2. Has experience in this league (one of the main traits they were looking for when we got Houllier)

3. Has experience in other leagues and in Europe

4. Good reputation for bringing through youth players & as a coach

5. Lots of links in football from time at Man Utd, England & overseas

I don't much rate him as a manager based on how he did with England, but maybe his experiences with Twente & Wolfsburg make him a better bet now.

He'd actually be more inspiring than Hughes, a mediocre manager who aims to not-lose, rather than win. He'd be an utterly underwhelming appointment.

Moyes might be good, but Everton do seem to have this inconsistency - I'd worry that if he started out with a bad patch (as he often starts seasons with Everton) it would all turn bad quickly, because he doesn't have the same history to fall back on at a new club and fans would quickly lose faith.

I don't buy the Benitez rumours. Don't think we're the club he'd go for. One of the above 3 the most likely as I see it.

Well I'd take Hughes over Houllier any day of the week. Also Hughes has spent **** all this season, even making Sidwell look good in the meantime. Also saying mediocre, your being very disrespectful in my opinion.

Well I'd take Hughes over Houllier any day of the week. Also Hughes has spent **** all this season, even making Sidwell look good in the meantime. Also saying mediocre, your being very disrespectful in my opinion.
Disrespectful? It's not like I'm throwing personal insults at him or anything. :? That would be disrespectful. I just don't rate him.

By saying he's a mediocre manager, I'd say that's disrespectful considering not one team he has managed has ever been in a relegation battle.

That's kind of mediocre IMO. Or rather avreage, maybe. Not bad, not good, just nothing special.

By saying he's a mediocre manager, I'd say that's disrespectful considering not one team he has managed has ever been in a relegation battle.
I don't really see what relevance that has. Mediocre doesn't mean poor. He's certainly not a poor manager. Anyway, the likes of Blackburn and Fulham aren't normally in relegation battles anyway. City certainly aren't.

Has Martin Jol's name been mentioned. I think he would be a good candidate.

No Benitiz, he is the one who destroyed Liverpool by spending so much on crap players.

Hughes is a good manager, but not good enough to take us the next step.

If the board was competent enough, we wouldn't be in this situation.

By your posts i get the impression you not really a fan of anything currently at Villa however....

I'm hoping that you do realise that people make mistakes?

I think you'll struggle to find any club that has done things perfectly every time.

Sometimes it pays off other times it doesn't, its realising your mistake and moving on which makes all the difference. :)

It's not just a mistake. It's not just hiring Houllier although that's partly the reason. I mean when they hired Houllier, they said Premier League experience was required, but his been out of touch with it for 6 years. Why didn't they also ask him if he had a definite number 2 in place? That's just as important as hiring the manager. When more than 3 of his choices (he really should have had a definite choice) theyturned him down and went with Gary Mac (panic much?) who we know isn't really good enough for this level of football. Why would you appoint someone as manager who couldn't even make it to the first game because they still had some work to do in a different country. It seemed too messy and unprepared. There's also times where they could have sacked him and I'm sure anyone good enough would easily gotten us out of this mess with this group of players.

Before then, Randy allowed MON to run our club leading us to announce a major loss this year. Poor judgement on his part. So instead of rectifying the mistake by hiring a person with good financial skills AND football knowledge, he hires his friend (Paul Faulkner) who doesn't appear to have any qualifications as a CEO who hasn't shown any signs of pushing our club forward at this current time.

But still, it seems some are happy with the board that they've splashed out money despite the fact we've announced a massive loss this year, we're going backwards to the point of relegation contenders and also appear to be unsure on what to do next. Is GH staying or not? If it's not announced once this season is over, then they're just delaying the inevitable and I don't see why anyone would be happy with that.

Err yes i'm aware of all that.

But people make mistakes yes?

Like i originally asked.