Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in a off topic to the main candidates i feel that we should have a look at both the porto manager and the braga manager who have both done great at the portugese clubs taking them to the finals of the UEFA CUP.

Porto play sexy foootball while braga are more energetic and better defensive side.

Just in a off topic to the main candidates i feel that we should have a look at both the porto manager and the braga manager who have both done great at the portugese clubs taking them to the finals of the UEFA CUP.

Porto play sexy foootball while braga are more energetic and better defensive side.

I think you are right and a gamble of those sorts would be a great luxury to have but I feel the board might feel it needs to consolidate before they gamble again.

Personally Moyes would be my number one target as he is MON with tactics and a great eye for a player but my brother is pretty certain Curbs will have a strong look in.

Yes, I do think it is overlooked that Moyes got a side that would have been flirting with relegation under another manager into the Champions League placings.

I had to take a closer look at the reasoning behind that post so I went and had a look at the typical Everton starting 11 for the 04/05 season. It pretty much typifies why some aren't enthused by his style of play. It must be one of the most defensive sides ever to grace the PL. A striker who couldn't score and 2 very defensive centre mids and no width. And while it no doubt over-achieved, it did have some quality under-rated and sought after players in their prime like Gravesen. Now you'll say "if he could get 4th with that, imagine what he could do with better", and yet with arguably better sides on paper since then, he has yet to repeat the feat.

Martyn

Hibbert Stubbs Weir Pistone

Gravesen Carsley

Osman Cahill Kilbane

M.Bent

[/code]

I think we don't stand a chance of getting Villas Boas from Porto, he's destined for one of the big clubs.

As for the Braga manager he's done a good job with them and is fairly young but I think he's a risk Lerner and co. wouldn't take. I'm not even sure he speaks English so that would be a stumbling block.

Yes, I do think it is overlooked that Moyes got a side that would have been flirting with relegation under another manager into the Champions League placings.

I had to take a closer look at the reasoning behind that post so I went and had a look at the typical Everton starting 11 for the 04/05 season. It pretty much typifies why some aren't enthused by his style of play. It must be one of the most defensive sides ever to grace the PL. A striker who couldn't score and 2 very defensive centre mids and no width. And while it no doubt over-achieved, it did have some quality under-rated and sought after players in their prime like Gravesen. Now you'll say "if he could get 4th with that, imagine what he could do with better", and yet with arguably better sides on paper since then, he has yet to repeat the feat.

Martyn

Hibbert  Stubbs    Weir  Pistone  

Gravesen  Carsley

Osman   Cahill   Kilbane

M.Bent

Gravesen defensive? Have you seen him play?! He couldn't defend to save his life, yet because of his stocky build and shaved head a lot of people thought he was a spoiler.

I don't think Moyes will be leaving for you guys, there's no point unless Lerner gives him a huge war chest to try and win the league.

He already thinks he can bring CL football to Everton so moving to a club who's aspirations are the same would be folly.

To tempt Moyes to Villa we would need one, some or all of:

a) A considerable amount more money than Everton, without having to sell loads of players. Everton aren't skint, just careful with their money. Which we need to be, wasn't that a reason MON left?

B) His position at Everton to become untenable - i.e. a fall-out with the chairman, not a "rumoured disagreement with Phil Neville" which apparently is boswellox anyway.

c) A considerable rise in our fortunes. This year we could well have been relegated. I was confident in the team that they wouldn't be. Our infrastructure is good, but so is Everton's tbf. They've got some very handy kids, as have we. (I think ours are better but thats just opinion ;) ) We're a poisoned chalice at the minute really. Highly paid reserves (still) and a squad that apparently mutinies when you try and give them extra training sessions?

d) Moyes to become unsettled at Everton. He's built the team there, look at that team in 04/05 and look at it now. It is miles better now. We would need Everton to have a year like ours for him to consider jumping ship

e) An offer of a new challenge. (Not the challenge of relegation [in before Big_John ;) ] ) As said,we are trying to get CL football - surely he would need a huge incentive to move from one club to another trying to do exactly the same as in his first job?

That is why (IMO) the Moyes rumours are bull, and he will not come to Villa this summer.

I would take a gamble on Paul Lambert.

Am i the ony person who would be happy with GH staying? He has shown he has power in the transfer market, with some excellent contacts in th business. Also, it was MON's team he came in with, along with some other incidents (dunne/collins, Gabby injured, players not performing) he hasnt had the best first season, but i reckon next season he will do rather well. Proven track record and proven in the market (Bent, Makoun on the cheap, Walker on loan)

He has shown in a few games his tactics are being put into place, but players need time to get used to them, especially after a few years of only doing one thing.

Im not saying he is the best manager in the world, but we could do ALOT worse. If we could get Moyes, i would, i really rate him. But, if no better avaliable, lets stick with GH to see what his first proper season (as in including the summer window, and pre season) can do. I wouldnt touch Paul Lambert for the job, we dont need alot of risks at the moment.