Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else reckon Joachim Lowe from Germany national side would have a good crack?

having said this, i would like to give gerard another season

but getting into the spirit of things, you know how it is

xxxx

I'm sure his crack is acceptable. He's German an probably uber-efficient so it would be well cropped.

anyone else reckon Joachim Lowe from Germany national side would have a good crack?

having said this, i would like to give gerard another season

but getting into the spirit of things, you know how it is

xxxx

I'm sure his crack is acceptable. He's German an probably uber-efficient so it would be well cropped.

racist :) only kidding, i think he would be amazing here, the way germany played in the world cup was inspirational. would like to see some quality germans at villa aswell (ala hitzlperger)

anyway of posting an early christmas letter to randy-pandy?

xx

Next Villa manager will probably look at the way the fans react to the team not performing as they - the fans - want and think 'Do I need that kind of abuse?'

of the last 4/5 managers only MO'N seemed to get away with and even then he had Moscow and the two Chelsea games last season to answer for.

DOL - abused.

Gregory - abused.

Little - abused.

GT(mk2) - abused.

We as fans do have quite a history of giving the manager grief even if only on the net and radio phone ins.

And yet. And yet.

Maybe it will feature in the thinking of the next manager. Maybe.

But then we've had all the above managers + MON and Houllier want to take the job on, so I'd say as a priority it comes under 'not much of a' for them, and there's some pretty high profile names in that list.

I don't recall many of those outside of O'Leary and GT post 03/03/03 coming in for widespread stick, certainly not from stands. And if you're offering phone in's and messageboards as conclusive proof you're definitely on shaky ground. Even Fergie, Ancelloti and other managers who've actually won things for their clubs have had nutjobs phoning in demanding their dismissal.

I don't think we're better or worse than any other fans in the country. Newcastle fans were angrily chanting 'you don't know what you're doing' at Allardyce after 2/3 months. I well recall the 'Ta ra Fergie' banner that made an appearance at Old Trafford (during the game) in the 1989/90 season too.

No, we're no worse than any other fans. We just seem to have a few who like to put the boot into fellow supporters with a bit more regularity than possibly happens at other clubs. Maybe it dates back to the divisive nature of the latter years under Ellis, I don't know.

Big Sam: would get us fighting and saved Blackburn in a similar situation.

Alan Curbishley: saved West Ham from a worse situation than we're in. Ex-Villa player, knows what the club is about.

Both available. Would anyone place their money on Houllier keeping us up as opposed to one of those guys?

Although frankly I'd take Dowie over Houllier right now.

Alan Curbishley: saved West Ham from a worse situation than we're in. Ex-Villa player, knows what the club is about.

Both available. Would anyone place their money on Houllier keeping us up as opposed to one of those guys?

really???

Chris Hughton - was team mates with God McGrath so he should know what we're about or 'get' the club and has huge potential to be a top manager, something we should take advantage of.

(Plus one of the nicest guys you could ever meet)

Paul Lambert too - he would walk away if a (hopefully) top club like us or Everton came knocking, he did the same with Colchester for Norwich.

really???

Really.

really???

Really.

I just don't see any of those people as a step forward. Appoint them and we might avoid relegation now but the best we can ever hope for with them is lower mid-table.

I really think we have to stay with a foreign manager to really revolutionise our club like Wenger or Mourinho have done and lets be fair Houllier did for Liverpool. Jol, Van Gaal someone in that mold is what we want but we'd obviously need to wait for the end of the season for that if GH is shown the door.

really???

Really.

I just don't see any of those people as a step forward. Appoint them and we might avoid relegation now but the best we can ever hope for with them is lower mid-table.

I really think we have to stay with a foreign manager to really revolutionise our club like Wenger or Mourinho have done and lets be fair Houllier did for Liverpool. Jol, Van Gaal someone in that mold is what we want but we'd obviously need to wait for the end of the season for that if GH is shown the door.

Well, I wouldn't see Dowie as a step forward. And don't get me wrong, I'd rather see us with someone of the calibre of Mourinho or Wenger in the long term.

But in the short term, we need someone else. How many times do we see a manager come in and turn a club around towards the end of the season? We won't get a Mourinho character at this stage of the season will we?

Curbs and Fat Sam are both available, and have succeeded in similar situations that we are in now with West Ham & Blackburn. **** next season, all we should be worried about is doing everything possible to make sure we're not relegated.

But... for all that, I think Fat Sam and Curbs are very hard done by on here by some. Allardyce is widely recognised as a manager using modern ideas, he worked wonders at Bolton and was doing very well at Blackburn. Sure he would have done well at Newcastle given half a chance. I think at a decent club with some backing, we wouldn't see his Bolton-esque football for long. He's done well in the past by making the most of small resources, his style of play has effectively been forced upon him by his budget, and it's served him and his clubs very well. For what it's worth, I think he'd get us challenging for Europe again.

As for Curbishley... again, what black marks has he got? Did a great job for years at Charlton, then was doing a great job for West Ham before they **** him over. Much like Allardyce, I think given the resources he'd do a great job at a big club.

It's all very well saying they're mid-table managers, but the reality is that both Bolton and Charlton were a complete mess before these guys turned them around. They turned them into respectable mid-table Premier League clubs and I think that is just as worthy an achievement as, for example, Houllier coming in to Liverpool and winning just a couple of trophies in half a decade.

Although personally I'd probably plump for Moyes or Coyle. :D

Moyes would be quality for us! Look what he's done for Everton. Now imagine him at Villa and with much better financial backing than what he currently receives. He doesn't stand any shit off players either and you could never question his commitment or motivational skills. He ticks all the boxes for me. Just a shame that I don't think it would happen, especially next season when we are playing Championship football.

Moyes would be quality for us! Look what he's done for Everton. Now imagine him at Villa and with much better financial backing than what he currently receives. He doesn't stand any shit off players either and you could never question his commitment or motivational skills. He ticks all the boxes for me. Just a shame that I don't think it would happen, especially next season when we are playing Championship football.

moyes gets a lot of guff from everton fans for the exact same stuff we gave mon guff for. i think theyre quite similar tbh, from the outside they look like theyre miracle workers, but you examine it a bit more on a weekly basis and you see that theyre both severly limited and have a glass ceiling