9.0 quake hits Japan

Cracker1234

Channel 4's documentary that ad a bit of analysis of the tsunami and earthquak is well worth a watch, was on on Thursday, should be an easy find on 4OD.

Clips from a US bloke in a park in Japan as the earthquake that it shows are simply bizarre - he sees cracks open in the ground, which he then watches open as close as the ground pulses with the tremors, in between which he also sees the pressure cause the water in the ground to surge up like little fountains everywhere.

Nice one, will look it up.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit misleading, the tsunami from the video (which I haven't seen) ISN'T from the earthquake that just happened right?

As ignorant as this may sound (sorry) I think the Japanese are used to earthquakes, just maybe not one that registers 9.0 on the Richter scale.

A bit misleading, the tsunami from the video (which I haven't seen) ISN'T from the earthquake that just happened right?

As ignorant as this may sound (sorry) I think the Japanese are used to earthquakes, just maybe not one that registers 9.0 on the Richter scale.

I think you mean the video footage that was posted on page before this one Legov? That footage is from the main quake that happened when this thread was made.

The video footage has been removed from YT.

Is that correct Legov or do you mean what they're showing on the news now?

That's true, however I'd say a Japan that would normally cope with a 7.4 might not be able to cope with a 7.4 that has quickly come on the back of a 9.0. It's like kicking someone while they're down.

I think you mean the video footage that was posted on page before this one Legov? That footage is from the main quake that happened when this thread was made.

The video footage has been removed from YT.

Is that correct Legov or do you mean what they're showing on the news now?

Yup thanks.

Anyway my TV says tsunami warning's been lifted. :)

I have to agree with BOF. It's not that they couldn't normally handle it, but it's just been too much all at once.

Not that there seems to be much care about it in the news but Mexico was hit with an earthquake as well.

There's a critical mass in Blackpool. If X amount of locals simultaneously bother enough donkeys then it can cause tremors. They probably needed a quick release after the 3-0 defeat to Fulham.

:lol: I shouldn't be laughing in an earthquake thread... :(

Kicking someone when they're down!? This is more like defecating on them after elbow dropping them. Then kicking them. Japan is a geological wreck right now :(

Well, it's now a 7. Surprised really, nothing has changed, other than the level of radiation being released being reduced, yet they've gone straight from 5 to 7. I think that definitely answers some of the "we can't trust them" worries, because if anything they're over stating the issues.

The same rating as chernobyl is pretty ridiculous really, and says one of two things, we need a better scale because chernobyl was under classified, or the japanese are overly cautious. This isn't as bad as Kyshtym which was only a 6...

Well, it's now a 7. Surprised really, nothing has changed, other than the level of radiation being released being reduced, yet they've gone straight from 5 to 7. I think that definitely answers some of the "we can't trust them" worries, because if anything they're over stating the issues.

The same rating as chernobyl is pretty ridiculous really, and says one of two things, we need a better scale because chernobyl was under classified, or the japanese are overly cautious. This isn't as bad as Kyshtym which was only a 6...

If a 6 can be worse than a 7 then I agree we need a better, more comprehensive scale. Still and all though, it's not good to see Fukushima reach Chernobyl levels and is something I feared right from the start would happen.

Â