415 members have voted

1. 1. Houlier - back him or sack him?

• Back him - he needs more time
    • Sack him - we don't have time

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the table, I can't see other teams doing as well as some have stated unless it's based

On sheer maths rather than predictions? I think we'll also finish above 40 points. If we find form form, we should end up with around 50. (29 points from 18 games which would be about top 6/7 form last year. Hopefully anyway, anything over 45 points and top 12 ish would be enough to give the manager another go for next season. We'll see. Still need points and a failure of points in the next two games though and we'd have to be looking somewhere else. Let's just hope we build on what's been yesterday!

NRC played instead of Milner

Cuellar played instead of L Young

Clark played instead of Warnock

Heskey played instead of Carew

From last years fixture IIRC.

Gringo wrote:

AVFC-Prideofbrum wrote:

Given the fact our home record is a lot better than our away record then I'd say the fixture list is a lot kinder to us and I'd expect us to do better.

So far, 18 games. 10 @ home against teams with an average position of 9.2 yielding 16 points, and 8 @ away against teams with an average position of 11.3 yielding 4 points.

So our second half of the season presents us with fewer home games, but against weaker opposition and more away games against stronger opposition.

Adapting a simplistic approach to stats and working on the basis of:

AVFC-Prideofbrum wrote:

Given the fact our home record is a lot better than our away record then I'd say the fixture list is a lot kinder to us and I'd expect us to do better.

and extend our (and everyone else's) relative home and away form we end up with a table looking like

Team Spts

1 Man Utd 77.63

2 Arsenal 71.51

3 Chelsea 70.46

4 Man City 69.67

5 Tottenham 63.33

6 Bolton 57.21

7 Sunderland 55.31

8 Blackpool 51.93

9 Liverpool 50.93

10 Stoke 50.67

11 West Brom 48.45

12 Newcastle 46.55

13 Everton 44.33

14 Blackburn 43.28

15 Birmingham 41.43

16 Wigan 40.11

17 Aston Villa 39.90

18 Fulham 32.78

19 West Ham 32.30

20 Wolverhampton 28.98

Basically if our home form drops off we're foooooooooked. Not at all a situation to be comfortable with.

OutByEaster? wrote:

Positionally speaking that's a horrible, horrible table, but in terms of going down, at least there's a comfortable seven point gap in it. Still, it's a bit shit isn't it.

Doesn't get any prettier....

Team Spts

1 Man Utd 76.95

2 Arsenal 73.89

3 Man City 72.20

4 Chelsea 67.93

5 Tottenham 65.66

6 Bolton 57.21

7 Blackpool 54.70

8 Sunderland 51.30

9 Liverpool 50.93

10 Stoke 47.71

11 Blackburn 47.50

12 West Brom 44.76

13 Everton 43.91

14 Newcastle 43.91

15 Birmingham 40.11

16 Wigan 40.11

17 Aston Villa 38.84

18 Fulham 37.79

19 West Ham 32.30

20 Wolverhampton 28.98

Continuing a theme

[table][row][col] [col]Team [col]Spts

[row][col]1[col]Man Utd [col]80.64

[row][col]2[col]Arsenal [col]74.27

[row][col]3[col]Man City [col]74.27

[row][col]4[col]Tottenham [col]67.56

[row][col]5[col]Chelsea [col]66.50

[row][col]6[col]Bolton [col]53.37

[row][col]7[col]Sunderland [col]53.20

[row][col]8[col]Blackpool [col]52.25

[row][col]9[col]Stoke [col]50.47

[row][col]10[col]Liverpool [col]48.56

[row][col]11[col]Newcastle [col]47.50

[row][col]12[col]Blackburn [col]45.77

[row][col]13[col]Everton [col]41.84

[row][col]14[col]West Brom [col]41.80

[row][col]15[col]Aston Villa [col]39.90

[row][col]16[col]Wigan [col]38.00

[row][col]17[col]Birmingham [col]37.16

[row][col]18[col]Fulham [col]36.10

[row][col]19[col]West Ham [col]35.75

[row][col]20[col]Wolverhampton [col]34.20[/table]

Crazy

Whole away end was singing his name today and he gave us all a little wave and a smile.

He got the chance to pick our best side, where all of them were fit and we got a good result, which on balance probably should have been two points better. Lets see what January brings and hopefully we can start accumulating points and striding up the table.

The tactics were spot on for this chelsea match.. I dont know whether Anelka was just going through a bad form/phase but we kept him quiet.

TBF, Houllier has always been a clever tactician. His achilles heal is his ability to piss people off, and weve seen the effects of that!

Keeps us performing like yesterday though, and we will motor up this league, and he will hopefully have me eating humble pie.

Anelka has always blown hot and cold, but credit to Clarky. Played him well, without lunging in, unlike another certain player we know :winkold:

In that article in the comments section ...

"Aston Villa have nothing to worry about they will not get relagated they will quite comfortably finish in mid-table and higher this season with the players they have and especialy the manager Houllier a world class Gaffer and his no 2 Gary Maccalister this year is all about consolidating just watch them go next season!"

Your right.. that sums it up. ;):lol:

Richard, that's the Sun you're quoting from!! :o

Whether Chelsea are not as good as last season is not an issue. We all know that how a team plays on the day depends on the opposition as much as anything.

One thing is for sure ... the Villa were a damn sight better organised than they were in the corresponding fixture last March.

Why don't we just see what happens over the next month.

One thing is for sure ... the Villa were a damn sight better organised than they were in the corresponding fixture last March.

How come this point isn't used when talking about other games under houllier?

I thought the performance against man u was very good and our following performances after that were poor so yesterdays game isn't going to convince me that the future is bright under houllier just yet.

Sunderland game is a big one, we have a fit squad who should have a bit of confidence now, we need to get something out of it.

Â