The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

If you bought all your music from itunes it's free, if you have music you ripped from cds or bought cheaper from another source - which will be the majority of people - you need itunes match. Which is very well priced, they certainly want a take up of the service.

Quick question, does anyone know how apple will confirm what songs you own that haven't been bought from itunes? Say you rip music from cd how is that identified as purchased music? Do you use itunes to rip the music and it gets an ID3 tag?

Edit: The laws on ripping cds is to be changed in the uk. So it will be legal soon.

I do like the iOS5 changes. Apple have bought in quite a few things that have been standard on Android for a couple of years now, but they are all good things. The notification bar is long overdue I think, and allowing apps to have a deeper access to the OS is a good thing. Being able to share anything via multiple apps is awesome.

I don't think iOS 5 does let all apps share, it lets them access the notification bar. only twitter has been given integration where apps can share with it. Also the iMessage is integrated iOS messaging system same way g chat is integrated in android. So you can send someone an iMessage and it'll notify you like you would getting a sms. It's free and will take off for sure.

Quick question, does anyone know how apple will confirm what songs you own that haven't been bought from itunes? Say you rip music from cd how is that identified as purchased music? Do you use itunes to rip the music and it gets an ID3 tag?

Edit: The laws on ripping cds is to be changed in the uk. So it will be legal soon.

It will be stored on your itunes account what you have purchased, I am assuming if you bought songs using an old itunes account you wont be able to integrate them into the new one.

I think they just assume any music you have in your library that wasn't bought on itunes you bought elsewhere. From reading techradar I think that once you pay the subscription you can get every bit of your library on the cloud. Which is a pretty good system.

Problem is the shitty ass networks over here and data limits meaning streaming isn't really worth it yet.

Edit: fixed spelling

Haha, really though with data caps in the uk streaming over 3g is hardly going to be huge is it? Especially 256k AAC files. What if you only have a 500mb limit. And I'm sorry but coverage in the uk isn't that great, plenty of areas with low or poor 3g coverage.

It will be great for me, say im abroad with a wifi connection, I will be able to stream direct to my iphone/ipad.

Agree about the networks though, data limits seem to be getting lower :(

From what I read Apple don't care if it's legitimate music or not. They will give the recording companies a slice of the annual subscriptions and it's not as if big torrenters are ever going to buy music anyway. They can just use amazon or googles cloud services where you just upload what you want.

Point is the studios get money from this from people they were never going to get money from while apple keeps people in the iOS land when the realise if they ever leave apple and the iCloud they'll need to manually upload all their music to alternative cloud storage. That's the Genius of it, it's another extra hassle to leaving Apple, it's easier to just stay.

Also pretty much all music on torrents is 320k which is higher quality than the 256k offered from iCloud. Music only takes a minute to download with current broadband speeds.

From what I read Apple don't care if it's legitimate music or not. They will give the recording companies a slice of the annual subscriptions and it's not as if big torrenters are ever going to buy music anyway. They can just use amazon or googles cloud services where you just upload what you want.

Point is the studios get money from this from people they were never going to get money from while apple keeps people in the iOS land when the realise if they ever leave apple and the iCloud they'll need to manually upload all their music to alternative cloud storage. That's the Genius of it, it's another extra hassle to leaving Apple, it's easier to just stay.

Also pretty much all music on torrents is 320k which is higher quality than the 256k offered from iCloud. Music only takes a minute to download with current broadband speeds.

Good post Conor

I was discussing with the wife earlier the same thing,it really is genius by apple. I was almost defiantly going to sample android later in the year but now apple are about to make thingso a lot easier as we have 4 apple devices in our household (and I say I'm not a fanboi lol) I may consider keeping the iPhone.

Though you realise that a similar method will be available from google music, the difference is you'd have to upload your music once to the cloud which could take awhile but once there it can be accessed in the same way as iCloud. The difference is that iCloud removes most of the requirement to upload music. It's this new requirement that will in the future help keep people with apple. If you leave you'll have to upload all of your music to a rival cloud, but if you join you only need to scan your music and apple matches it. Good leveraging of their existing iTunes database.

Also when will these clouds come to the uk? If they are only released in the US in the autumn. Could be next year before they get here.

Really impressed so far, I havent updated any devices yet but when I was in the app store earlier on my ipad there is a new tab at the bottom and when I opened it all the apps I have bought over the years on ipod/iphone were all sitting there.

Will do the update tonight and get everything synced.

Isn't ios 5 not out until autumn?

Also you talk about functionality that has been on another operating system for ages. Can't talk about that here though, will move to iphone sticky thread.

Â