The All Things Apple (Only) Topic

Gingerlad

Then to be sent out an HDMI cable when the monitor doesn't even have an HDMI port shows a serious lack of product knowledge from their staff.

Perhaps Google was down?

I've just got an email saying the following:

Dear Apple Customer.

This is an automatic message sent by our security system to let you know that you have 48 hours to confirm your account information.

Your account has been used for fraud.

Update my information

Please update your account information than we will try again to validate your account.

The email says it was sent by myself though. Is this just attempted phishing?

Absolutely definitely phishing. it has multiple give aways

1. It doesn't have your name

2. It has a spelling mistake - "Please update your account information than we will try again to validate your account.

3. It sets a time limit - trying to encourage quick (and therefore not a considered) response.

4. "your account has been used for fraud" - this is a generalisation, without specifics, and it is legally untrue - a conviction would have to have been made for that to be true.

​5. Sent by an "automatic system" - not credible - companies don't do that. 

​I guarantee it is not genuine.

• Like 1

Apple are absolutely chuffing hopeless.

On the Apple website it says you connect one to the other: "The display connects to your Mac Pro through a Thunderbolt 2 port using the included Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable."

The only trouble is, they don't actually include a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable at all, they include a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable...

I assume it's not an Apple display, but a third party one? it can't be that you can't connect an apple Pro to an apple display with an apple cable?

Anyway, I agree that their kind of almost perfect (at least in comparison) service and useability has dropped off a fair bit.

I decided to go back, partly for that reason to a second hand old mac from e bay. 500 quid for an older laptop, no issues, decent price. good as new. Just not quite as fast etc. I bunged a SSD in it and it's more than good enough for my needs.

Which doesn't help you at all, I know. But I can see the point coming where the new kit is too expensive for 99% of people, and its software and interconnection issues/quality is a further downside, given what people pay.

Alll that said, I still haven't managed to find anything else with the mix of build quality in the hardware, long life, good design and user interface plus software package that come close. Which is a shame.

Correct Pete, it's not an Apple display, but a Sharp one.  However, it is one of only two monitors that they sell with the Mac, so you'd think that anything they recommend and sell direct should have to past muster.  I can connect the new monitor to my old desktop Windows PC no problem, just not my new Mac.  Then to be sent out an HDMI cable when the monitor doesn't even have an HDMI port shows a serious lack of product knowledge from their staff.  Over the past 10 years we've had a variety of Macs, Macbooks, iPads and iPhones in our house, and at one point they were streets ahead of everything.  Recently though, their stuff has been far ropier.  I bought my wife a MacBook that had to go back to them inside 6 months, there are the constant iPhone iOS updates with their myriad problems, and their customer service is lousy.

Still, the Apple Watch is available for pre-order tomorrow, so all is well........

I've now had three emails from a customer services idiot called Maria, who has stated that the cure for my problems is an HDMI cable.  Absolute morons. 

It states on their website that the monitor doesn't have an HDMI port.

I stated in my email that it doesn't have an HDMI port.

After a week they offer to send me an HDMI cable, despite me sending them a picture of what I actually needed.

I've been listening to you lot on here and decided it's better for me to buy a phone outright, instead of paying for it over the course of a contract.

I bought a 64gb Iphone (as I struggle to keep on top of the amount of photos I take, even though I use cloud storage - a lot stays on my phone, as well as music and stuff) and had 10% off the phone so it cost me £545, I know Iphones are expensive but I would expect to sell it on for £200ish in two/three years. 

I think it makes sense and I worked it out to be cheaper on the long run - and as my sim only is a rolling contract, I can quit when I like.

It's weird being back with an Iphone, but hey. I have a mac and ipad so it makes sense.

First question. How can I transfer the contacts from my google account onto the Iphone, replacing the contacts on there currently (I restored from my old Ipod)

Cheers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to transfer music from ITunes library on PC to a USB Flash Drive?  I only want to copy some of the music from the Library onto the Memory Stick/Flash Drive .??

To copy songs from iTunes to a USB:

Insert the flash drive into a USB port, and open it so it looks like a folder on your desktop.

Then highlight the songs in your iTunes library that you want, as follows:

To highlight one song, click it.
To highlight a range of songs, click the first, hold Shift, and click the last.
To highlight a bunch of selected songs that are not in order, hold the CTRL key and click each one.
To highlight all the songs in the view, click one, and then CTRL-A.

Once they are highlighted, simply drag them to the folder.

If you normally run iTunes in full-screen mode, make it smaller before you start this process, so that you will be able to do the drag.

One thing I meant to add: this process copies the songs to the USB. It does not change anything in your iTunes library.

Thanks for that - I too found that on the internet and I tried it but it just didn't work at all.    I thought it would be similar to making a CD which I've done loads of times but I must be doing something wrong somewhere.  It wouldn't let me drag the tunes across at all for some reason.

The actual files are stored in folders in these places
Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\
Windows Vista: C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes\
Windows 7: C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\
Windows 8: C:\Users\username\My Music\iTunes\

so you could navigate to the folder and then ctrl + c and ctrl + v the ones you want onto the stick

Shouldn't have to - mp3 and m4a work in most everything don't they? - more than the other types, anyway.

Most of the players that only play wma or ogg or whatever have withered away. ;)

Ooh thanks for those tips.  I will give them a try tonight or tomorrow.    I want to use the USB stick in my car as I've recently updated my car and now have a USB port - rather than take my Ipod out, I thought I would just put playlists from it onto the memory stick

Shouldn't have to - mp3 and m4a work in most everything don't they? - more than the other types, anyway.

Most of the players that only play wma or ogg or whatever have withered away. ;)

mp3 will play anywhere, pretty much. There are threads down below (and many, many online guides) which explain to peiople how to convert music in itunes to mp3 as it used to be such an issue. Perhaps things have changed, but Apple hardly have a good track record in making it easier to use non-Apple stuff, so I expect that an export (conversion) is needed.

Â