Original Match Thread - MATCH OFF

AVFC-Prideofbrum

Game could be in danger with the weather forecast, heavy snow predicted to fall this weekend.

IIRC a Wigan home game was one of the fixtures to fall foul of the weather last year. Something to do with the surrounding area.

In 2 minds whether this would be a good thing.

We need to carry on from last week, but another week or 2 and we'd have some more players back.

Starting XII

-------------------Friedel-----------------

Cuellar------Clark-----Collins-----Young

--------------------NRC-------------------

Albrighton-----------------------Downing

--------------------Young-----------------

-------------Heskey-----Gabby----------

Purely because Im still not convinced on Lichaj and I simultaneously dont think Cuellar should be dropped but Clark should have a game at CB to heal any confidence issues from that game at CMF cause I cant see him being risked against the bigger games we have coming.

Cant see the above happening but would be happy with it for a starting XII but only if we play well.

I have serious doubts this will go ahead. Its not the snow that's the problem, its the ice on the streets. With heavy snow predicted on Friday night/Saturday morning, I think it will be postponed.

bollocks will it, if they've predicted snow, like shite it'll happen, anyway don't tell my missus I'll go on the piss anyway :D

NRC would be the first central midfielder I'd pick even if all of our central midfielders were fit! He has to play.

Albrighton deserves to keep his place as does Downing. We need Heskey and Gabby up front which should give us a real goal threat. Ashley Young should play to!

I think we all agree on that, it just the defence.. apparently L. Young isnt going to be fit .. or as SkySports puts it 'is Losing his battle to be fit'

So probably looking at

-----------------Friedel--------------------

Lichaj-----Cuellar----Collins----Warnock

-------------------NRC©------------------

Albrighton------------------------Downing

------------------Young(vc)---------------

----------Heskey-------Gabby------------

Friedel

Lichaj - Cuellar - Collins -Warnock

--------Hogg ---- NRC-------

Albrighton --- Ashley --- Downing

-------------Heskey --------------

Gabby hasn't really got going this season so it would be difficult one of the front 4 who have been good this season. Think NRC and Hogg would be better for this game as given its an away game they will be attacking us more and that will make us more solid.

Also with Dunne playing in reserves seems likely cuellar will retain his place.

Friedel

Lichaj - Cuellar - Collins -Warnock

--------Hogg ---- NRC-------

Albrighton --- Ashley --- Downing

-------------Heskey --------------

Gabby hasn't really got going this season so it would be difficult one of the front 4 who have been good this season. Think NRC and Hogg would be better for this game as given its an away game they will be attacking us more and that will make us more solid.

Also with Dunne playing in reserves seems likely cuellar will retain his place.

I think Gabby should at least start. We need some instant pace to start the game off with. Wigan are a team that rapidly lose confidence when under pressure.

Must win game for us given the next few fixtures. I'd very much like to see NRC and Hogg anchoring midfield with Ash in front of them. Albrighton and Downing on either wing with probably Emile up front and Gabby ready on the bench.

Ideal back four would be Lichaj (I'm loving that throw, Delap watch out!), Cuellar, Collins and Young but I suspect Warnock will keep his place. I'm hoping Dunne stays on the bench but I have a horrible feeling he will be back.

The good news is we will have a few options on the bench.

I have serious doubts this will go ahead. Its not the snow that's the problem, its the ice on the streets. With heavy snow predicted on Friday night/Saturday morning, I think it will be postponed.

bollocks will it, if they've predicted snow, like shite it'll happen, anyway don't tell my missus I'll go on the piss anyway :D

:lol: you better hope she don't watch MOTD.

"That's funny, did I miss the Villa highlights?..."

I'd stick Gabby up alongside Heskey, he's mainly been ill so fitness shouldn't be a problem.

Ashley Young is out for a month apparently so 4-4-2.

Hogg and Reo-Coker in the midfield, It's not creative at all but play direct, get the ball wide quickly and two midfielders who can get from box to box. Can't understimate Wigan though, unbeaten in last 6 home games apparently.

I think we all agree on that, it just the defence.. apparently L. Young isnt going to be fit .. or as SkySports puts it 'is Losing his battle to be fit'

So probably looking at

-----------------Friedel--------------------

Lichaj-----Cuellar----Collins----Warnock

-------------------NRC©------------------

Albrighton------------------------Downing

------------------Young(vc)---------------

----------Heskey-------Gabby------------

This.

I look the look of that side. We want to get at Wigan and destroy them. I wouldnt play this against Arsenal or Man Utd.. but against the smaller clubs we have to have the initiative.

I'd really stick Bannan in this game, reason being Wigan are no longer the hustle and bustle and actually like to play football, so i think it may well suit him, however i said the same last week. But if Young is not starting, we definitely need NRC on the pitch as our leader.

I'd really stick Bannan in this game, reason being Wigan are no longer the hustle and bustle and actually like to play football, so i think it may well suit him, however i said the same last week. But if Young is not starting, we definitely need NRC on the pitch as our leader.

I wouldnt be surprised if Houllier moved Bannan up to where Ashley has been playing and the bring NRC into the midfield. Though now with Young out I would want to see Gabby and Heskey up front and then NRC with either Hogg or Bannan in the midfield.

I think he's got to go 4-4-2. I think Bannan over Reo Coker as said above Wigan actually try and play and Hogg can break up the play.

Friedel

Lichaj, Cuellar, Collins, Warnock

Albrighton, Hogg, Bannan, Downing

Gabby, Heskey

Bench: Guzan, Beye, Dunne, Ireland, Reo Coker, Delfouneso, Carew