The Bribery Thread

tonyh29

Would you bribe someone in order to secure a deal ?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bribe someone in order to secure a deal ?

• I say old bean that's just not Cricket
    • Anyone got a self seal brown envelope?

Bribery is sadly a fact of life if you do business internationally, certainly in my part of the world it is nigh on impossible to operate without adapting to what is essentially a cultural norm. Nepotism rules.

The best we can hope to do is try to stamp out its overt practice as far as possible at home and accept that we cannot impose our way of doing things on the rest of the world. That said, is there much difference between the UK practice of corporate entertainment for businessmen, giving lucrative non-exec posts to former politicians for services rendered, or giving a brown envelope full of cash to a dodgy (insert nationality as appropriate) geezer controlling a tender or contract?

What about local councillors who have a sudden change of heart and do a 180 over a planning application? Do the big rich developers just reason with them? :lol:

In truth the UK is only marginally less corrupt than most other places, we just present things in a manner that allows deniability. Expecting FIFA et al to be any different is slightly delusional imo.

It's not just plain bribery though. I can imagine the construction projects both for the stadia and the local infrastructure for both world cups will yield a ton of money to the wrong people (or the right people if you are on a certain football committee).

I would use bribery in a situation I deemed necessary. Like if I was a Jew in Warsaw and had the money to bribe my way to Portugal, etc.

Bribery is perfectly justifiable under the right circumstances.

But in the case of this FIFA charade, England can feel a collective pride for going about things in a honorable way.

I voted for "Вор у во́ра дуби́нку укра́л"

could you see that , it was coming out as garbage on my screen so i changed it ...

According to Babelfish, that means "Pilferer in [vo]́[ra] to [dubi]́[nku] of [ukra]́[l".

As such, I must agree.

Which way would you like me to vote in this poll? what can you "offer" (cough) as an argument to persuade me of the merits of voting the way you would like?

Look out of your window. Do you see a car parked a few score metres down the road? Does it look vaguely familiar, like you've seen it before but can't quite pin down when or where? If you walk past it and glance in, are there two men inside, reading newspapers? And is the car gone tomorrow?

Think about these coincidences before you cast your vote.

Â