The Bribery Thread

tonyh29

Would you bribe someone in order to secure a deal ?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Would you bribe someone in order to secure a deal ?

• I say old bean that's just not Cricket
    • Anyone got a self seal brown envelope?

One of the callers on 5-Live after the world cup vote said that if we can't beat them we should join them and thus he felt we should have greased some palms and bought votes .. Other callers were horrified by the idea , saying it wasn't the British way

So , would you consider bribery /Gifts /Buckshee etc in order to secure a huge deal

I guess you could say that any corporate entertainment is a form of bribery and plays a fairly large part in day to day business , (Some cultures expect it and BAE have done it for years with the Saudis for example ) so I'm thinking in this example more brown envelopes to individuals

It was garbage, just a load of numbers. but when I copied and pasted it and posted, it came out like that! Weird.

Apologies for derialing this thread already ;)

To answer the question properly, no I don't believe we should have bribed everyone. If bribing is going on then it should be exposed.

Cash in an envelope? No, never, couldn't.

Worked overseas briefly and it was clearly an unspoken but fairly regular occurence. I just couldn't bring myself to jump in and join in as it were.

Taking Clients to watch the Ryder Cup for a few days? Taking Clients to sit in the nice seats at Villa? Gifting someone a contract on the understanding they gift us a job soon? Shall we say I've seen it happen!

Right or Wrong.

The UK sold a "useless" air traffic control system to Tanzania in 2001 in a "scandalous" and "squalid" deal, the House of Commons has been told.

Ex-International Development Secretary Clare Short joined the Tories in accusing Tony Blair of pushing through the £28m sale by BAE Systems.

Ministers said the deal had not damaged Tanzania's economy or its development.

The Serious Fraud Office (SFO) is currently investigating claims that BAE bribed Tanzanian officials.

'Reputation in tatters'

Ms Short, who is now an independent MP, has consistently argued Tanzania could have paid much less for the same equipment.

"I believe that all the parties involved in this deal should be deeply ashamed," she said in a Commons debate on Tuesday night.

Approval for the licences was forced through a divided cabinet by the prime minister

Andrew Mitchell - Shadow international development secretary

She said the deal was "useless and hostile to the interests of Tanzania" and had been opposed by senior cabinet members including Chancellor Gordon Brown.

She said Barclays Bank had "colluded" with the government by loaning Tanzania the money, but lying to the World Bank about the type and size of the loan.

didnt our bidding team bribe the delegates anyway? wining and dining them all in london and buying all theirs Mrs mulberry handbags?

we were 'out-bribed' as well as 'out-bid'

Yup - these corrupt officials don't get corrupt by just standing around, it tends to be that people offer them things, and if they're offering, why don't we? OMG how unfair, they lied to us!!!

Right or Wrong.

Sounds like that deal was used to cover something else that was thrown in on the quiet ??

at face value it would seem unethical though .. and hardly good for ongoing business relations , maybe Blair thought he was on the Apprentice and was only concerned with winning the task and not repeat business and reputation ....

Really don't understand the fuss personally. We've held it before, Russia hasn't so they deserve their chance.

Bribery may or may not have been involved but the point is that it's a World sport....Russia has never had the World Cup and neither has Qatar. Lot of over-reaction to this if you ask me, and let's face it when you get a thick word removed like Beckham to speak up for you in your presentation, and an inbred berk like William then you're doomed from the start.

didnt our bidding team bribe the delegates anyway? wining and dining them all in london and buying all theirs Mrs mulberry handbags?

we were 'out-bribed' as well as 'out-bid'

that comes under smoozing though doesn't it ? rather than cash in envelopes ( though of course we don't know that is what the Russians did )

The roadshow deals that the bank i worked for , the Japanese wouldn't even show up unless hookers were part of the deal .. the bank clealry didn't want to go down that route but needed the Japanese to attend so they used to provide hostesses ( listed on the expenses as Flowers and dry cleaning !!) and then let the hostesses make their own deal with the Japanese without the banks knowledge of course :shock:

Russia has never had the World Cup and neither has Qatar

Neither have Australia. Also, England won the awards for best technical bid or whatever, but apparently that didn't figure in FIFA's considerations at all.

I can understand losing out but garnering just 2 votes (or 1 in Australia's case) despite having far and away the best infrastructure suggests strongly to me that something fishy is going on at FIFA (surprise).

Russia has never had the World Cup and neither has Qatar

Neither have Australia. Also, England won the awards for best technical bid or whatever, but apparently that didn't figure in FIFA's considerations at all.

I can understand losing out but garnering just 2 votes (or 1 in Australia's case) despite having far and away the best infrastructure suggests strongly to me that something fishy is going on at FIFA (surprise).

I never disputed that something fishy is going on....but that doesn't mean that the wrong countries were awarded the World Cup. OK maybe Australia deserved to win it ahead of Qatar but who's to say they won't put on a great tournament in 12 years time?

England for me didn't deserve it ahead of Russia who have never had the chance to hold it until now. If there were bribes involved then yes that's wrong but it doesn't change the basic fact that Russia has more claim to host the World Cup than England in 2018.

The thing that made me laugh was how we went from 3/1 to odds on favourites on the back of a presentation, as if a good presentation would undo god knows how many months of hard work by the other bidders (sorry slightly off topic).

Anyway, I wouldn't bribe anyone no.

Â