Houllier - released from contract with FFF

Brumerican

A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?  

628 members have voted

1. 1. A you happy with Houllier's Appointment?

• Oui
    • Non
    • Undecided

I don't really care if the press are making out he said the 7th-12th thing today. I know he didn't and I still think it's important.

Some people don't think the assistant manager is an important position to get a good man in for? Well, I can't disagree strongly enough on that. Patrice Bergues was highly rated as a coach. Phil Thompson...not my cup of tea, but he did a good job at Pool, especially when in sole charge. Kmac...well, at least he knows the players. Who will the 4th choice be? How far down a list do we get before we have to worry? Staunton?

And I will reiterate ONCE AGAIN that I still feel on the whole positive about Houllier taking over. There are plenty of plusses. But the way all this has been handled over the last few days has been far from ideal and has left me with a few doubts. And I don't think that's an unreasonable position at all.

Doubts about what?

A new assistant, who we may or may not be familiar with, will be appointed and will do a decent to excellent job. I almost live for Villa and I’m not at all concerned about this matter. Join me, you’ll enjoy life more and live longer!

I wouldn't worry about the way this has all been handled. Most things in life are complicated and never as straight forward as we think, or would wish. Let the media run with their negatives and persistent worst case scenarios. By Christmas it will all be forgotten and Asda have already rearranged their aisles!

:flag:

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some people who believe if you question Villa/ the manager/ the board then you don't support the club as much as those who follow blindly do.

Today has thrown up some disappointing or worrying issues - no contract, possibility of him having to stay in France for three months (unlikely but shouldn't even be a possibility), Assistants turning us down left, right and centre (for whatever reason) and he's seemingly still hung up on Liverpool and seems to underestimate our recent history.

All very concerning. People will try to put a positive spin on as it means they love Aston Villa more but they are all facts which need answering, some will take time but others (such as contract) should be answered now.

I can't think of any other club at any level (EVER!) having a press conference to introduce a new manager who hasn't signed any contract, can't attend for at least two weeks and potentially three months with no clue as to who the assistants will be. Farcical in the extreme and if it was happening to any other club then we would ALL be saying how ridiculous it is.

There are some people who believe if you question Villa/ the manager/ the board then you don't support the club as those who follow blindly.

Today has thrown up some disappointing or worrying issues - no contract, possibility of him having to stay in France for three months (unlikely but shouldn't even be a possibility), Assistants turning us down left, right and centre (for whatever reason) and he's seemingly still hung up on Liverpool and seems to underestimate our recent history.

All very concerning. People will try to put a positive spin on as it means they love Aston Villa more but they are all facts which need answering, some will take time but others (such as contract) should be answered now.

I can't think of any other club at any level (EVER!) having a press conference to introduce a new manager who hasn't signed any contract, can't attend for at least two weeks and potentially three months with no clue as to who the assistants will be. Farcical in the extreme and if it was happening to any other club then we would ALL be saying how ridiculous it it.

I NEVER think that anyone on VillaTalk who has questions doesn't support our club. I do however think that the current circumstance will be sorted out amicably in the near future, without detriment to the club and without need for concern. There is no spin involved in realising there is a massive gap between an ideal scenario and 'ridiculous'.

I can't think of any other club at any level (EVER!) having a press conference to introduce a new manager who hasn't signed any contract, can't attend for at least two weeks and potentially three months with no clue as to who the assistants will be. Farcical in the extreme and if it was happening to any other club then we would ALL be saying how ridiculous it is.

Yup. It's a lack of professionalism, really. Don't call a press conference until it's all ready. If you have to, release a statement saying there are still negotiations going on and you'll say more in due course. It would have been a pain to have to wait, but at least it wouldn't be this mess.

Yup. It's a lack of professionalism, really. Don't call a press conference until it's all ready. If you have to, release a statement saying there are still negotiations going on and you'll say more in due course. It would have been a pain to have to wait, but at least it wouldn't be this mess.

Either way there would still be some that said "WTF is going on" whilst most accept that everything will be sorted in the near future.

Were basically being laughed at and I can't really understand how a CEO has allowed this to happen, it seems like AVFC are bending over sideways for Houllier, though this is a guy who has not managed for so many years, we give him a chance but he still has obligations, well I'm sorry Gerard if that's the case you can stay there for me! You know what I really feel for KMac, he works his arse of gets told to apply for the job when they had no intention of giving it to him, we may be sitting 4th but we are stuffed, to not have signed a contract is well and truly disgraceful!

I just voted undecided. I was going to vote yes, but this is becoming farcical.

This, i should not have voted so early.

I'm afraid Houllier might end up missing more than just the mere one match.

There are some people who believe if you question Villa/ the manager/ the board then you don't support the club as much as those who follow blindly do.

Top post Jack.

I agree with every word. We're in serious danger of becoming a laughing stock, if we're not there already ....

I actually really feel for Big Mac in this situation. What an awful position he has been placed in.

Were basically being laughed at and I can't really understand how a CEO has allowed this to happen, it seems like AVFC are bending over sideways for Houllier, though this is a guy who has not managed for so many years, we give him a chance but he still has obligations, well I'm sorry Gerard if that's the case you can stay there for me! You know what I really feel for KMac, he works his arse of gets told to apply for the job when they had no intention of giving it to him, we may be sitting 4th but we are stuffed, to not have signed a contract is well and truly disgraceful!

Its not like he was short of offers you know. He is an internationally recognised name , well respected in the game and you make it sound as if Villa are doing him a favour.

Yeah, we should have given it to KMac , what a fantastic appointment it would have been. We would be setting Europe on fire seaason after season.

Omg, could you imagine what this place would be like if we waited another few weeks before announcing a manager? Groups would be formed to oust Lerner, Krulak would have death threats and world war 3 would be on the brink.

No way is that a viable solution. It isn't an ideal situation, but every case is different from another and you can't compare us to previous press conferences. I'm not the happiest about Houllier being appointment, but the club could have done nothing more regarding the handling of appointing him.

Top post Jack.

I agree with every word. We're in serious danger of becoming a laughing stock, if we're not there already ....

I actually really feel for Big Mac in this situation. What an awful position he has been placed in.

Top Post - bang on...

How short-sighted are some football fans? Houllier was far and away the best candidate available for the job, and I am sure Villa were aware of this situation from the day GH decided to take the job. The fact we have to wait a few weeks before he 'officially' becomes our Manager is a moot point.

What would fans rather? Accept the appointment of a less qualified Manager simply for the purpose of managing us for games against Stoke & Bolton, w or let our capable caretaker see us through to our ultimate goal of appointing the correct guy, who could then be with us for a number of years and achieve results above that of any less qualified alternative.

I didnt want him in the begining and now i just hate the clearing in the woods ... We'r the fcukin Villa FFS Not fcukin Hartlepool united!

Who dose he think he is to string us out like this?..

More fool to the micky mouse board... Go Back to disneyland!

5 weeks to parade a bloke under contract some place else and that hasnt even signed... Couldnt Run A Bath!..

Omg, could you imagine what this place would be like if we waited another few weeks before announcing a manager? Groups would be formed to oust Lerner, Krulak would have death threats and world war 3 would be on the brink.

No way is that a viable solution. It isn't an ideal situation, but every case is different from another and you can't compare us to previous press conferences. I'm not the happiest about Houllier being appointment, but the club could have done nothing more regarding the handling of appointing him.

I maintain that a holding statement would have been better, and would have given the board more time to finalise arrangements. I don't see why this would make the fans go more mental than announcing a new manager, then letting the fans find out that he hadn't actually signed yet, that he hadn't got his first, second or third choice as assistant, and that he probably wouldn't be in place as manager for at least another two weeks. The board made the fatal mistake of raising expectations and then having to backtrack. And for a big business that's amatuerish in the extreme.

(I voted 'Oui' in this poll, by the way, so those who think I'm overreacting...well, they're overreacting, quite frankly.)

Top post Jack.

Top Post - bang on...

Much ado about nothing if you ask me.

Yes it would be preferable for him to be in charge for the Stoke match but given a choice of waiting 2 weeks for the best available choice in the circumstances or having Curbs take over straightaway then it's a no brainer for me.

I've never known so much attention being placed on who is the number 2. What exactly did Robertson or Walford do? How many assistants has Fergie had in his time? Did it make a blind bit of difference when Kidd, McLaren, Queiroz left - not at all. It is the manager who calls the shots . GH needs to appoint someone in due course who he is conmfortable working with but in the meantime Kmac can assist.

As for who the assistant is then if he as a Villa connection then fine and well but it shouldn't be an essential requirement. I'd rather we appoint the best person irrespective of is background. Can't believe the talk of Brain Little and John Gregory! May as well ask Ron Saunders if he fancies the job!

If GH has to work out the 3 months notice period then we become a laughing stock but that ain't going to happen.

I've never known so much attention being placed on who is the number 2.

So much attention? Really? It's an issue of concern is all. I don't think anyone has said it's going to lead to the collapse of Aston Villa.

(I've never known so many people willing to dismiss troubling signs out of blind loyalty to the club myself.)

The Club is pleased to confirm that it has secured the appointment of Gerard Houllier as manager.

I seriously wonder which bit of the above statement people are failing to understand. It's not written in French, German or Serbo Croat, its not a paraphrase from a cheap red top news paper, it's not something that a mate of a mate heard while having a piss, it's not some update in CM / FM. What it is is a quote taken from the OS, i.e. a direct quote form the club.

Just because the terms of his "transfer" are that he needs to complete a couple of tasks that will seemingly take a day or so, so bloody what? There are no urgent transfers to conduct (and MON certainly screwed us there the twunt!), we are out of the UEFA cup ( a cup that GH has won and MON treated with utter contempt - along with the fans). We have a tough match on Monday (somewhere that MON never won - and many good managers have seen their teams lose), the best prep for which will be to get someone who knows the team 100% to sort things out while loose ends are sorted and commitments that could not be broken are honoured. Honour - hmm a word I wonder if the last manager actually understands - rather than just dropping his employers in the shit.

As for his assistant, I suppose the beer bill at VP will be a lot lower now

Â