Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope Ireland was given a little time away from the pressure of the first team to get his head right. It worked for Petrov a few seasons ago. There is still room for Ireland at Villa. I fear it may be an exile designed to anger and frustrate him however.

Too be fair, most fans can based their opinion on what they see on the pitch. In his defence he was never going to be a player who work ethic on the pitch were going to be praised, his work is normally done in the final 3rd. I always considered Ireland to be a luxury player, I think we missed an opportunity to play him off the striker while Young been injured.

MathewKendrick

Also in Friday's Birmingham Mail, Houllier throws lifeline to Dunne and Ireland, but Carew and Beye almost certain to be off-loaded

I'll be happy with this first part if there is some substance in it.

The thing that troubles me about Ireland's treatment of late is that I thought he was starting to come out of his shell against Liverpool. OK the whole team we're poor, but it wasnt really a game to judge a troubled player by. It seems inexplicable that he's dropped completely after this game when he was showing signs of progress.

The thing that troubles me about Ireland's treatment of late is that I thought he was starting to come out of his shell against Liverpool. OK the whole team we're poor, but it wasnt really a game to judge a troubled player by. It seems inexplicable that he's dropped completely after this game when he was showing signs of progress.

I thought he showed some good signs in that game too, but as you say the team were poor.

His heart was never in it? Seriously, this stuff pisses me off.

What do you base the opinion that his heart was never in it on?

Gazton, could I ask your view...If, and at this point it seems a big if, Ireland could break into the team and start showing what we can clearly do, would he 'forgive and forget' the abuse that has been thrown at him from all parts of AVFC? Or does he now have the view of when not if he moves on?

Gazton, could I ask your view...If, and at this point it seems a big if, Ireland could break into the team and start showing what we can clearly do, would he 'forgive and forget' the abuse that has been thrown at him from all parts of AVFC? Or does he now have the view of when not if he moves on?

I don't know the answer, so this is just my opinion based on what I've been told.

He's hurting, he feels he's been treated very badly. He is terrified that the campaign launched against him labelling him a "misfit" and "looking to end his Villa nightmare" means that next time he's on the pitch he'll get booed. His confidence has never been good, and it's stuff like the fear of rejection that keeps him awake at night.

If things improve in terms of the way management treat him, I reckon he will "forgive and forget". Let's remember, he didn't throw in a transfer request when it was asked of him. Having been at Man City since he was 15, he doesn't want to leave his 2nd club after 6 months.

I don't know the answer, so this is just my opinion based on what I've been told.

He's hurting, he feels he's been treated very badly. He is terrified that the campaign launched against him labelling him a "misfit" and "looking to end his Villa nightmare" means that next time he's on the pitch he'll get booed. His confidence has never been good, and it's stuff like the fear of rejection that keeps him awake at night.

If things improve in terms of the way management treat him, I reckon he will "forgive and forget". Let's remember, he didn't throw in a transfer request when it was asked of him. Having been at Man City since he was 15, he doesn't want to leave his 2nd club after 6 months.

Cheers. Its all down to GH then. Ireland seems just the type of player we need at the moment, someone who can make things happen. Fair enough he is down and not in great form, but he cant do any worse than the dross currently playing. You sense a winner in front of the Holte could kick start his Villa career.

I think with Stan and Delph coming back in, the door could be re-opened for Ireland. It probably wasnt fair to rely on him as the senior player alongside Hogg & Clark, but he could be given a bit more license to roam about with a bit more solidity behind him. Not to mention the fact that we could have 3 players who can play football together.

I think with Stan and Delph coming back in, the door could be re-opened for Ireland. It probably wasnt fair to rely on him as the senior player alongside Hogg & Clark, but he could be given a bit more license to roam about with a bit more solidity behind him. Not to mention the fact that we could have 3 players who can play football together.

That's a really good point actually. As long as they pass to him.