Stephen Ireland

Richard

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if we sign Kaka, Ronaldo, Terry, Cole, Villa, Iniesta, Xavi, Drogba and Cech, then we'll see the best of Stephen Ireland.....
Mmmm...

Think maybe Citeh tried something along those lines (OK maybe not as lavish as the players mentioned above 8) ) and the result was...

Ireland was frozen out.

#

Exactly

Strange decission to bring Ireland off at that point in the game. He had looked dangerous and was playing well. I honestly thought that it was Bannon whom was going to come off.

Lost our way in Midfield when he did go off, which says everything about his performance until then. Does not look the Stephen Ireland of old just yet, but the signs are good.

As for the this not shaking hands baloney, the guy was proberly frustrated and it happens. He wants to prove himself, so lets just forget about trying to create yet another scapegoat for the moaners to have a go at.

Got to be willing to give the guy time. I haven't been overly impressed but also we don't play a game that suits the player we have signed, he also hasn't featured in a team with the right striker, maybe on sunday he will, behind Heskey. We will see how that works.

It'd be stupid to write him off, just as it would be probably be stupid to say he will become a class act. The guy hadn't played for about 8/9 months from the start or something like that and then expect him to find some form straight away. We will see.

We've been in this position before with Milner and Downing, give him a bit of time and he will show how good he is. It is important that we do not get on his back as what he is lacking is match practice and confidence.

This is a fair point. Time is needed. I missed the game yesterday but he was invloved in all our attacking moves on the highlights befoe he went off, so he has that quality and vision we will need to become better at unlocking defences, we just ned to do it more often now. Oh and score tha chances when they come.

• 1 month later...
GERARD HOULLIER took another swipe at Stephen Ireland, insisting he would not be 'stupid enough' to pick him in Ashley Young's position.

Aston Villa boss Houllier is facing up to being without star man Young for Christmas with a knee injury.

But the Frenchman is not about to pick 24-year-old Ireland — who has cost the club a huge £2,000 A MINUTE since signing in August — in the attacking-midfield role.

Houllier said: "He won't be playing in Ashley's position. I've done that before and it didn't work.

"So I'm not stupid, I'm not doing it again."

Ireland an £8million makeweight in the £24m deal that saw James Milner join Manchester City, has been told he can leave.

But Villa are desperate to recoup most of that cash.

Better news for Villa is that crocked midfielders Nigel Reo-Coker, Stiliyan Petrov and Fabian Delph have all resumed training.

Queue the comments "he shouldn't have said this"... http://tinyurl.com/362fspo

GERARD HOULLIER took another swipe at Stephen Ireland, insisting he would not be 'stupid enough' to pick him in Ashley Young's position.

Aston Villa boss Houllier is facing up to being without star man Young for Christmas with a knee injury.

But the Frenchman is not about to pick 24-year-old Ireland — who has cost the club a huge £2,000 A MINUTE since signing in August — in the attacking-midfield role.

Houllier said: "He won't be playing in Ashley's position. I've done that before and it didn't work.

"So I'm not stupid, I'm not doing it again."

Ireland an £8million makeweight in the £24m deal that saw James Milner join Manchester City, has been told he can leave.

But Villa are desperate to recoup most of that cash.

Better news for Villa is that crocked midfielders Nigel Reo-Coker, Stiliyan Petrov and Fabian Delph have all resumed training.

Queue the comments "he shouldn't have said this"... http://tinyurl.com/362fspo

Why does he need to do so much talking to the **** press though,he can't help himself at all.

If the General were still responding to us on here, id ask the following question:

"How does the media shy, articulate and well spoken owner of ours, Randy Lerner, react to the all the more regular outbursts by our manager in the press which seem to do nothing but bring negative publicity over our club, and particular players?"

Houllier should shut the **** up and concentrate on making the defenders able to keep clean sheets, and the strikers score goals, rather than make himself look like an unschooled moron in the press.

That, is my two pennies on Monsieur Houllier.

I think we have to remind readers that those comments are in the Sun.

Added to that its clear now that Ireland wants away as GH has said he can go which suggests he has given up hope of Ireland ever delivering in a Villa shirt.

With hindsight I'm not sure Ireland ever wanted to come to the club, he was probably desperate to end his nightmare at Citeh and Villa seemed the best way out. The bit that annoys me is that we on paper screwed Citeh over the Milner transfer which was reputed to be £28m with a notional value of £8 for Ireland. We will never get that for him now so I think maybe they sold us a pup.

Moral of the story, don't sign players when you don't have a manager.

Nothing inferesting at all,he's only talking about the position that Ash plays..GH should learn to stop speaking so much to press it's becoming a joke now,and it seems like he's doing it more because he's a media whore himself he leaves melted candle he in the shade ffs!!.

If the General were still responding to us on here, id ask the following question:

"How does the media shy, articulate and well spoken owner of ours, Randy Lerner, react to the all the more regular outbursts by our manager in the press which seem to do nothing but bring negative publicity over our club, and particular players?"

Houllier should shut the **** up and concentrate on making the defenders able to keep clean sheets, and the strikers score goals, rather than make himself look like an unschooled moron in the press.

That, is my two pennies on Monsieur Houllier.

I'd tend to agree with you DS.He can't help himself..

I don't understand how people can come to the conclusion he decided to meet the sun to speak about Ireland/Ash? There is nothing to indicate this infact it could've been pre-match interview before Wigan and a Journo could've asked him about Ireland.. what's he going to say? "No Comment"? Yeah because that'd look great for potential buyers for Ireland. I think he is actually spot on in what he said, this can be a warning to the rest of the players - you mess up you won't play in that position again, he's done it with Dunne and now done it with Ireland.

Hmm where & when was he supposed to have actually said this i wonder? Just smells a bit like BS & it is in the Sun afterall! All the redtops are quite anti-Villa lets face it as traditionally we are major competition for their beloved London clubs.

Having said that... even if he did say it all he is saying is he wouldn't play SI in AY's position which having seen the way we conceded goals with him there you can't really argue with surely? Doesn't mean he wouldn't play him in a different formation though.

Sounds like just another "kick em' whilst they are down" comment which lets face it the media love to do with any football club/celebrity they see in a spot of trouble.

I don't understand how people can come to the conclusion he decided to meet the sun to speak about Ireland/Ash? There is nothing to indicate this infact it could've been pre-match interview before Wigan and a Journo could've asked him about Ireland.. what's he going to say? "No Comment"? Yeah because that'd look great for potential buyers for Ireland. I think he is actually spot on in what he said, this can be a warning to the rest of the players - you mess up you won't play in that position again, he's done it with Dunne and now done it with Ireland.
So saying he's not good enough in a certain position is going to help us sell him right..