Fabian Delph

davidplatt7

Delph is great, isn't he?

It looked so today. I hope the moment he beat 2 Hull players in one move when in trouble on the side-lines is replayed in front of Hodgson on MOTD.

For a defensive midfielder he has a lot of skill and doesn't waste his passes. Won the midfield for Villa against Huddlestone. I would not hold him responsible for our lack of quality in the final third.

Edited by Con

Still doesn't offer anything in the final-third for me. 

Offers something in the other two, though. I'll take that right now.

Me too but the fact he offers so little offensively means he isn't as good as everyone thinks he is. Just stands out here because of how poor our midfield is. 

Me too but the fact he offers so little offensively means he isn't as good as everyone thinks he is. Just stands out here because of how poor our midfield is. 

Er. I don't think anyone is suggesting he is good in the final third, so therefore he's probably exactly as good as everyone thinks he is. 

• Like 1

He doesn't have to contribute offensively more than any other Ramires style player. Delph is our Ramires. He does enough with his game without scoring. If we dominated games like Chelsea he would be scoring goals. I'm sure he'll get one this season.

Con said he'd be scoring goals if we dominated games like Chelsea, and I'm inclined to agree with him here. It's much harder for him to get goals or assists without the vast attacking riches and possession that Chelsea enjoy. Not to say he's definitely as good as Ramires but just comparing stats is not a fair comparison.

• Like 2

We dominated possession today actually. Lack of final-third quality was the only reason we didn't win and Delph is expected to provide some of that quality. 

Out of Delph, El Ahmadi and Westwood, I demand the most attacking quality from El Ahmadi and Westwood, then Delph. 

Of that three, Delph is the key defensive player. El Ahmadi has stepped up his defensive qualities this season too but Delph just edges it for me.

We dominated possession today actually. Lack of final-third quality was the only reason we didn't win and Delph is expected to provide some of that quality. 

Out of Delph, El Ahmadi and Westwood, I demand the most attacking quality from El Ahmadi and Westwood, then Delph. 

Of that three, Delph is the key defensive player. El Ahmadi has stepped up his defensive qualities this season too but Delph just edges it for me.

But Delph is the most creative out of the three. He was a class above any other player on the pitch in my view.

Er. I don't think anyone is suggesting he is good in the final third, so therefore he's probably exactly as good as everyone thinks he is. 

he's got the potential to add something in the final third if the shackles of holding the midfield together were removed IMO. we know he can score from range as he showed at leeds, and he's got a super engine, plus the aim is to start your defending from the front, and him hassling players early on could be a bonus. don't be surprised to see him taking a more advanced role in the next 18 months

Delph is a box-to-box player and thus is expected to produce defensively and offensively. He is not an exclusively defensive midfielder which is why Lambert said yesterday:

. I thought on Saturday against Man City we asked him to play a different (deeper) role and maybe asked him to put a marker down at the beginning of the game. I thought he did it.
Edited by Isa

Has Delph slept with your missus or something Isa?

I made him my MOTM but obviously some players are beyond criticism on here. 

Edited by Isa

I've heard it all now. Slagging our player of the season so far. Some people....

Did you miss his run when he ran about 50 yards, holding off a couple of players before having his shot blocked?

Â